Christmas Lotto 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second beer for me is also from Menoetes: Binders Amber Ale.

Fairly subdued aroma, with some malt.
Good amber colour, a smallish (but dense) off white head that was persistent. This was a bit hazier than the ESB, maybe the yeast was roused a bit easier?
It's a well balanced, easy drinking beer. There's a flavour there I just can't pick, it doesn't seem like a fault, but I have no idea what it is, some hop or yeast derived flavour that lingers as an aftertaste.
Good mouthfeel, lightly carbed.

Another really good sessionable beer. Hopefully Menoetes will let us know the 'non-traditional' hops used.

PS. Received some cheek from SWMBO for cracking this one before noon. I carefully explained the need to promptly review the beers, she seemed to accept that, surprisingly, or maybe she's just humouring me.

med_gallery_30557_1269_531621.jpg

Ciderman said:
I've got a couple I can add, but why are my photos always sideways? Uploading from iPad.
If it is at the end of a night of tasting... Then it may be you are on the ground taking the photos....

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419582947.188181.jpg

American Pale Ale by Dave Doran
ABV 6.2% IBU 33

First beer after finishing work on Christmas Eve. Glass options were limited but it didn't hide the haziness of the beer. I'm having the same problems, don't worry - you get better with each beer.

Aromatically humble, not much in terms of hop aroma/flavour, but pleasant bitterness. Great malt profile hides the alcohol well. Too well in fact as this one didn't last long.

Surprisingly a sessional beer at 6.2%

Top points for being the only beer to arrive in the mail prior to Xmas.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419585722.754775.jpg

Biere de Garde by Dave Doran
ABV 7.2% IBU 21?

I drew the short straw this year and drove on Christmas Day. This was the one beer that I had and it was incredible. Again, apologies for the water glass it's served in, but options were limited.

Of the dark or brown variety. Hazy and not by best photo.

Rich toffee and caramel flavours formed a complex flavour profile. Layers of dark fruits in the background. It was that good I googled the style (as I had no idea) to find out it was a beer to guard or keep. Whoops... No regrets though.

Would be interested to see the recipe and brew something similar.

Biggis Dikkus Cream Ale by madpierre06

No picture sorry but there's a few on the case swap thread. I suspect it has something to do with the rice but it actually had that 'creaming soda' creaminess. Incredible to taste and drink a few but did cloy a bit towards the end of the glass. I wonder if this cream method can be used on other styles.

It has left me curious and interested in learning more about the style!

Motch02_Trappist.jpg

Motch02 - Belgian Trappist 11%ABV

Aroma of raisons and plum, medium carbonation.. head dissipates quickly but retains a small head the entire glass.

Dark amber colour, medium body with alcohol warming present, slight caramel, smooth and lingering raison aftertaste.

Wyeast 3738 yeast?

Nice Trappist, feels like it should have been drunk in a log cabin by the fire place... or down in the garage on a winter brew day, would go exceptionally well with some Grimbergen Abbey cheese.

Ciderman_ESB.jpg

Ciderman - ESB 6.2% ABV 70 IBU

I let this one sit for a while to warm up a bit..floral aroma, deep amber/copper colour, off-white head, slightly over carbonated.

Full bodied, trace biscuit/toasty flavour, hint of caramel, the malt really balances out the bitterness well, good head retention the whole glass, very drinkable.

Cracking ESB, I enjoyed it with a family roast.. would certainly be a beer I'd knock back a couple pints of while watching some football (kind of wish I'd held off to sample it during Chelsea vs West Ham).

Would love the recipe- The FIL is a Yorkshireman and Leeds tragic, think he'd enjoy it too. :icon_cheers:

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419629265.783679.jpg

The intention was to clone hargreaves hill esb but it's fair to say I ran into a few problems. The recipe was guessed to start with and I didn't get anywhere near my desired gravity reading ending up with 1051. This was my 3rd AG and I had overboiled my first two so I made an error by boiling less vigorously. As a result of this my ibu's increased by about 15 points.

Secondly my thermometer at the time was inaccurate and I mashed slightly above 70 degrees and ended up with a stuck ferment around 1020ish. Added a bit of alpha enzyme to get it down and few points and it continued to ferment for two additional weeks and reached 1004. By the time I went to bottle it was about 4 weeks in the fermenter and had started to carbonate a bit. I suspect when I bulk primed it was half way there hence being overcarbed.

I used the 5min boil hops at whirlpool and to dry hop.

How this beer ended up remotely drinkable I will never know - but that's how I did it!

Third review, another by Menoetes, Summer Blonde Ale.

Very neutral aroma, low hop and low malt.
Very clear, golden beer with a persistent, fine head. Good lacing on the glass.
Low malt flavour, firm bitterness with little hop aroma (POR?). Perfect to style.

Good example of a Blonde Ale. Easy drinking.

med_gallery_30557_1269_51206.jpg

Whoa, all three of my beers reveiwed already? Well done Ken! Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

The non-traditional hops in the Amber is a simple mix of Cascade and Willamette - a real winning combo for amber (and darker) beers in my opinion. Maybe not as non-traditional as using Riwaka in an ESB but unusual certainly.

The Summer Blonde is actually hopped with Summer. It was my first time using that hop and wasn't blown away by them to be honest. They're not bad but they don't impress me either. Like you said, they are quite neutral. If I were to use them again - I would hop much more aggressively later in the boil but it is a blonde ale, nothing too wild...

menoetes said:
Whoa, all three of my beers reveiwed already? Well done Ken! Thank you for the feedback, it is appreciated.
They're the only ones I've received, it's been a pleasure though mate.

Ciderman said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419585722.754775.jpg

Biere de Garde by Dave Doran
ABV 7.2% IBU 21?

I drew the short straw this year and drove on Christmas Day. This was the one beer that I had and it was incredible. Again, apologies for the water glass it's served in, but options were limited.

Of the dark or brown variety. Hazy and not by best photo.

Rich toffee and caramel flavours formed a complex flavour profile. Layers of dark fruits in the background. It was that good I googled the style (as I had no idea) to find out it was a beer to guard or keep. Whoops... No regrets though.

Would be interested to see the recipe and brew something similar.
Glad you enjoyed it. Got pretty well demolished by visitors over xmas.
Easy recipe

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 64.3 %
1.40 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 2 20.0 %
0.45 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 6.4 %
0.15 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 4 2.1 %
25.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 11.1 IBUs
0.50 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 6 7.1 %
50.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 18.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Ale (White Labs #WLP550) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

Just returned from a couple of weeks hols with the Fam and had no access to AHB during that time.
Wanted to add my thanks to QldKev for running the show - a maiden voyage for me - will get on the next one now I am sure :beer:
Cheers again ...

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419934164.544983.jpg

Golden Ale by Booker_h

4.3% ABV

Textbook golden ale. Has the best clarity of all four beers I have sampled thus far. Great head retention, good malt profile, not much in the way of hops but the bitterness remains.

Not my favourite style but I can't fault it. Nice work.

Ciderman said:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419934164.544983.jpg

Golden Ale by Booker_h

4.3% ABV

Textbook golden ale. Has the best clarity of all four beers I have sampled thus far. Great head retention, good malt profile, not much in the way of hops but the bitterness remains.

Not my favourite style but I can't fault it. Nice work.
Glad you enjoyed it. It was a Golden Ale for the christmas season. Brewed it for the relatives that like their beers that don't, and I quote, "taste like someone threw a bunch of ******* lychees in ma beer".

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420081621.872978.jpg

Chilli and Cinnamon Oatmeal Stout by Skb
7% ABV 32 IBU

You've done really well to show true chilli flavour without showing any heat. That would be really difficult to achieve. Didn't really get the cinnamon but that's probably a good thing as it can really overpower primary flavours.

Head retention wasn't great but the carbonation was perfect for the beer style. Overall I really enjoyed this.

Loving this beer lotto, I've had 5 really well made beers so far.

Judanero said:
Wyeast 3738 yeast?
Yep that's the one, despite having a fermenting fridge I let this one go on it's own during May.. It reached 32 for about a day or two, I could hardly contain it in the fermenter

motch02 said:
I could hardly contain it in the fermenter
Yeah I've used it half a dozen times or so and always have it trying to climb out of the fermenter... it is a beast!

Ciderman APA 5.1% 44IBU

Ciderman_APA.jpg

Fruity aroma (Passionfruit?), medium body, nice and clear golden colour, head disappears after about 1/4 of a pint, piney and slight fruity flavour-the malt is there but definitely takes a back seat..

This hoppy treat is a great example of an APA, it wouldn't be out of place for a sunday session beer down overlooking the water talking shit with mates..or after a morning of weeding/ garden duties like I endured.

I'd happily have this on tap at mine if you'd be so kind as to share the recipe ;)

Motch02 RedIPA

Motch02_RedIPA.jpg

Floral aroma, deep copper colour, off white head that remained the entire pint.

Perfect carbonation, full bodied, slight pine, getting some caramel that seems too balance the rye, trace raison, very drinkable.

For me this would be more of a late night beer, sipped slowly after eating too much lamb, wife and kids are asleep and I've ended up on the weird side of the internet again.

Really enjoyed this beer, if you don't mind posting or pm'ing me the recipe I would happily have this as one of my third tap beers (reserved for the likes of my American browns, Rye IPAs, RIS, and Belgians)

Back