Christmas Lotto 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420447838.366135.jpg

Glad you liked it. It was my 'let's try to use up all the hops I have' beer. Very sessional and all but gone I think... Added the same listed hops at whirlpool. Dry hopped for 3 days with 15g each of Citra and Amarillo.

Slcmorro Kohatu Clusterfuck

Slcmorrow_KohatuClusterfuck.jpg

Fruit and slight pine on the nose, light golden colour, great clarity( iPhone pic doesn't do it justice) good carbonation.

Medium body, subdued bitterness, kohatu pineapple evident, also getting a very slight hint of spice?

Nice easy drinking pale ale that I enjoyed with beef korma, the only negative with this was that I only had one bottle! Would have had several more if they were available, and after a quick search I think it'll be something I'm going to try my hand at brewing.

Good job mate, lovely beer.

Indica86 BigRedRye

Indica86_BigRedRye.jpg

Floral aroma, medium body, deep copper colour, spot on carbonation, good head retention the whole glass.

Definitely getting the rye- interested to know how much this had in the grain bill? also getting a fruit.. maybe slight plum flavour..

Think this would be perfect with some lamb or rabbit curry like nan used to make, with turmeric potatoes and roti, watching the African relatives getting passionate about football (specifically Arsenal). Or chewing on biltong and sipping on a pint- yet another beer I would love the recipe of if you'd share it.

Really enjoyed all the beers I've had so far! All been bloody good and would be happy to say I'd brewed any of them.

Cheers fellas :icon_cheers:

grott said:
really pissed wasn't able to enter this lotto, is there an Easter one?
Cheers
Christmas in July is normally the next event.

slcmorro said:
Glad you liked it mate, really chuffed. Do you want the recipe? Was my first time using Kohatu and Cluster.
I searched and got your Clusterfuck thread, is that the same recipe? If not, then yes please :icon_drool2:

Hey all,

The family truckster is packed and we're about to head off on the Great Family Road Trip (save me Jebus).
So no reviews will be forthcoming from me in the next couple of weeks, five beers ready to review on the Australia Day weekend when I'm back (thanks jyo, djar007 and skb).

griswold-family-truckster-screencap.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421057428.423428.jpg

Czech Pilsner by Mudd

I consumed this about a week ago. It was pretty cloudy but had the typical spicy fruitiness that you expect in the style. Great head retention and overall pretty delicious.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421058020.409677.jpg

Helles Bock by Mudd

Cracking beer with a real substantial malty sweetness. The hops come through nicely and the alcohol is absorbed without much notice. The only issue I have is by the time I sat down with the beer, the head was gone and the carbonation in general was pretty low.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421219061.284047.jpg

American Amber Ale by Kumamoto Ken

The pour was a bit aggressive, rather than overcarbed. Good clarity and lacing all the way till the last mouthful. Bottled 6 months ago so much of the primary hop characters were gone but it still had a wonderful aroma. A pretty impressive beer, something I'd like to make.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421219282.950554.jpg

3.9% Summer Pale Ale by Crunched

Brilliantly clear with a slight hoppy aroma. A sessionable brew with enough going on to make it interesting. Finishes slightly sweet. Probably just lacks the bitterness that I'm used too rather than a fault.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421307965.183050.jpg

Barley Wine by Barls

An absolute beast of a beer. Probably more of an experience than a beer, incredible depth of malt with hops still coming through after being bottled almost a year ago. I have no idea of alcohol but there was no hiding it, I feel like I just drank a bottle of port!

One hopes that there may be a recipe thread when all is tasted and done - for those that are interested.
Some of these sound awesome !!!!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421707648.347957.jpg

Mead by Barls
16.2% ABV

To be honest I've never tried a mead in my life so it's hard to compare it to anything. The honey flavour was there but not overpowering like I expected. It was pretty sweet but overall I thought it was nicely balanced. It took me a few goes to finish this one!

Back