Christmas Lotto 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AIPA by citizensnips.

A classic.

Golden colour, plenty of hop aroma. Hop dominant all the way but with enough malt underneath.
Lingering bitterness. Would love the recipe.

gallery_30557_1269_686.jpg

Glad you liked it mate, I'll send you through the recipe. And damn it I need to get me one of those glasses.

Cheers

Cheers for the review Ken :D

LOL at my local crazy postmaster, he's a crack up. Was standing there giggling to himself when he did it too hahaha

Chubbytaxman ESB 5%ABV

Smoothbrews_ESB.jpg

Cloudy, amber colour ESB that pours a nice ~1cm head that remained almost the entire glass.

Floral aroma, medium body, good carbonation, slight fruity taste, towards the bitter end of the esb spectrum but not unpleasant.

Enjoyed it with beef casserole, peas and a mashed potato/mashed sweet potato combo..

Rob V American Wheat

RobV_Americanwheat.jpg

Light golden cloudy/hazy colour, pours and retains a nice head.

Floral, clovey nose, great carbonation, light, refreshing, crisp beer with a hint of floral flavour.

Cracking beer, maybe favourite beer so far!

SLC Morro Quaffers Quandry

SLCMorrro_Quaffersquandry.jpg

Straw colour, crystal clear (pic doesn't do it justice at all), small but lingering head.

Fruity (passionfruit?) hoppy aroma, medium body, floral and piney flavours.

Really nice beer that leaves a great lingering taste.

Rob V Dark American wheat

RobV_DarkAmericanWheat.jpg

Murky brown colour, small off white-not quite tan coloured head, slight ruby highlights when glass is held up to light.

This had a sweet, malt aroma with a hint of something floral, it had a creamy mouthfeel that was very reminiscent of Madpierre06's cream ale, and there was also a very slight roast taste- just a hint, that added a nice complexity to it.

Tasty beverage.

Chubbytaxman "Sporter" 6.3% ABV

Smoothbrews_Sporter.jpg

Dark, ruby highlighted beer with a small poured head that dissipates quickly.

Malty/ sweet aroma, great carbonation and mouthfeel, malty- slightly sweet taste with roast and chocolate flavours that are subtle but add perfectly to the overall flavour.

My notes tell me this beer "Would own winter" :beerbang: and indeed I do remember thinking how well this would go in the colder winter months.

Great beer.

Grainer Breakfast Stout

Grainer_BreakfastStout.jpg

Jet black colour, like a black hole no light escapes it, brown creamy < 1/4" head that dissipates into a very small but persistent head.

Smells roasty, also detect a hint of coffee, nice silky/ cream mouthfeel, full bodied, and you not only taste the roast but get some molasses and choc flavours also (subtle but works well).

Great stout!

Cheers for the reviews Judanero ....

The "Sporter" started out as a Stout ... but ended up more like a Porter ... Might be on to a new style of beverage here ... :super:

The ESB went down well with all that sampled it too, so nice to get some "experienced tastebuds" happening to see how the beers go that I make.

Glad you liked them both :party:

Blonde Ale by keifer33.

Another beer done perfectly to style. Lovely balance, some malt, some (noble?) hop.
Clean and very refreshing. Much clearer than the photo would suggest (condensation on the glass).

keifer33 also sent two when only one was due...above and beyond the call of duty from both keifer33 and jyo. Greatly appreciated.

gallery_30557_1269_40689.jpg

Lime Cream Ale by seehuusen.

No photo as it looked the same as the (non-lime) Cream Ale by seehuusen reviewed earlier.

Same as the previous Cream Ale plus the lime zest. seehuusen suggested that the lime was fading but in my opinion it was just right.
Had this one straight off the bike after riding home from work and it was just what the doctor ordered!

DSGA (Rye) by CapnK.

It's been in the fridge for a week I think but poured a bit murky. Dark golden colour, maybe a fraction undercarbed.
Superb aroma, and flavour. Bitterness just right and the rye added a beautiful spicy note. I've never brewed with rye before but I do plan to, all the more so after this beer.

Yet another terrific beer.

med_gallery_30557_1269_827087.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it Kumatomo. The hop was Ahtanum.

keifer33 said:
Glad you enjoyed it Kumatomo. The hop was Ahtanum.
I did enjoy it, and still have another in the fridge (thanks again).
I've never used Ahtanum and I suspected noble hopping because the bitterness and flavour seemed so smooth.

Cheers,

Ken

Motueka IPA by djar007.

djar007 was one of the first to send a beer but it was freshly bottled so was given some time to carb up before refrigeration.
This beer went down frighteningly well for something nudging 7% (fortunately there was only the one bottle).
It didn't have the massive hop aroma some IPA's do, but had a very strong malt backbone balanced well with hop flavour and bitterness, and a lovely finish.

I'd love the recipe.

med_gallery_30557_1269_146026.jpg

Saison by potof4x.

Prior to this I'd tried 4 saisons in my life, three I'd made myself and one commercial, so I was keen to taste another interpretation.
It's darker than any of mine (darker than the picture looks), and poured with low carb (quite possibly my fault as I didn't ever ask if it needed time to carb in the bottle).
I'm really keen to know the yeast used, it had a real 'Belgian Ale' fruitiness whereas the ones I've done have been spicy and dry more than anything else (all using Belle Saison).
It had plenty of body for a saison, and I have no idea of the ABV but my impression was there was some kick.

Great beer, recipe please.

med_gallery_30557_1269_1651701.jpg

Hello Ken.

Very happy you got something out of this beer!

Yeast was Mangrove Jacks M27 Belgian, fermented over the hottest spell of summer here on the Sunshine Coast in my hot water cupboard! Pitched 2 packs at 29C and beer temps hovered around 33C but peaked at 39C. The result was good but I still get a hint of high alc, I wont go as hot next time.

Sorry for the flat bottle, must have botched the Counter Pressure filler, it should have been super carbonated.

Recipe is from "Brewing Classic Styles" with substitutions for what I had on hand. I use BIABACUS and have attached the file, but the recipe is

Raison D'Saison

OG 1.058, FG 1.004, ABV 7%

70% Barret Burston Pale Malt
14% Weyermann Munich I
5% Barret Burston Wheat Malt
1% Barret Burston Medium Crystal
10% Sugar (Boil)

90m mash 63C, 15m ramp to 78C mashout and pull bag.

1 tsp Bintani yeast nutrient (Mash)
1 tsp BrewBrite stirred slurry 0m (Boil)
Oxygen 2m @ 0.5L/m (Pitch)

For 23.5L Volume of Ambient Wort No Chill

25g US Northern Brewer 8% 60m
25g US Mt Hood 4% 45m after Flame out into cube

20g Mangrove Jacks M27 Belgian @ 30C

Thanks for the feedback

View attachment BIABacus PR1.3T - 271214 Saison.xls

Latest posts

Back