Christmas Lotto 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blinddog - Amber ale

Blinddog_Amber.jpg

(Sorry about picture quality, it was after work and any light is an invitation for the 2yr old to get up!)

Pours a small head, cloudy amber colour.

Nice floral/fruity aroma, low carbonation, thin body/bit watery, hops and malt are muted, slight cardboard taste- oxidised?

Beersuit - Cream Ale 4.8% ABV

Beersuit_Creamale.jpg

Purs a nice head that stays ~ 1/4" thick, hazy light golden colour.

Pear-like esters, good carbonation, medium body, get almost wheat beer yeast character coming through with this one?

Luggy - Vic Secret single hopped Pale Ale 5.5% ABV

Luggy_SingleVicSec.jpg

Golden colour, slight haze, small but persistent head.

Fruity-slight grapefruit aroma, medium bidy, good carbonation, nice hoppy ( without being excessive) pale ale.

Very easy drinking and has me looking forward to using those vic secret flowers in the freezer!

Blinddog - ESB

Blindog ESB.jpg

Deep amber colour- crystal clear clarity, pours a thick off-white head that reduced to 1/2" thick and remained the entire pint.

Malty/sweet aroma, hint of pine/ floral aroma, full bodied, great carbonation.

Ridiculous beer. Malt and hops are balanced beautifully, absolutely delicious.

Would love the recipe!! One of the stand out beers without a doubt.

Blinddog - Summer wheat

Blinddog_SummerWheat.jpg

Pours nice pale golden colour, nice clarity, nice 1/2" thick head.

Fruity-passionfruit aroma, medium body, getting a hint of citrus flavour, definitely a summer quaffer, crisp and easy drinking.

Great beer.

Blinddog - Belgian Hefe

Blinddog_BelgianHefe.jpg

Hazey golden colour, small head, get banana aroma, medium body, taste the banana!

Banana bomb was the first impression I got with this beer, but was by no means unpleasant.

Also extra thanks to Blingdog, only owed two beers but sent FIVE!! Including an Old ale that will be conditioning for a few more months.

Much appreciated! :super:

Beersuit - Sex on the beach 2.2% ABV

Beersuit_Sexonthebeach.jpg

Pour crystal clear golden colour, ~1/4" head, very slight floral aroma.

Light body, good carbonation, slight bitterness, reminiscent of an Amber ale.

Tasty beer, lots of flavour for a low abv beer, perfect for if you had to be designated driver at a BBQ.

HBHB - Russian Imperial Stout 13.1% ABV

HBHB_RIS.jpg

No head, jet black, liquorice aroma.

Liquorice flavour, low carbonation, burnt caramel is subtle.

This is a big, intense beer... slight alcohol warmth but it is only very slight, once the beer warmed up a bit the flavours seemed a lot more well rounded and it really became quite a complex RIS. The marynka hops aren't something I'd usually consider playing with but complimented the malt on this one nicely.

Fatgodzilla - Smoked porter?

Fatgodzilla.jpg

This one gushed as soon as I took the cap off-lost almost half the bottle onto the kitchen bench, pours a small head, cloudy chocolate brown colour.

Smokey aroma like burnt bacon, medium body, good carbonation, smokey after taste but it is subtle... almost more like smoked ham.

Shame about the gushing, as it's quite a nice beer.

Judanero said:
Blinddog - Amber ale

attachicon.gif
Blinddog_Amber.jpg

(Sorry about picture quality, it was after work and any light is an invitation for the 2yr old to get up!)

Pours a small head, cloudy amber colour.

Nice floral/fruity aroma, low carbonation, thin body/bit watery, hops and malt are muted, slight cardboard taste- oxidised?
I might have stuffed up the transfer from keg to bottle as it doesn't display any of those faults poured from the keg. hopefully there's at least a bottle left in the keg that I can send as it really annoys me that you got a dud.

Blind Dog said:
I might have stuffed up the transfer from keg to bottle as it doesn't display any of those faults poured from the keg. hopefully there's at least a bottle left in the keg that I can send as it really annoys me that you got a dud.
All good mate, you have been more than generous with your extra bottles already!!

Would not say no if you were to share the recipe for that ESB though ;)

n87 - Golden Ale

n87_notHH.jpg

Crystal clear golden colour that poured a nice dense head.

Hoppy/fruity aroma-lychee? Good mouthfeel, med boy, crisp hop flavour, nice and easy drinking beer.

n87 - Hop Hog clone

n87HH.jpg

Another crystal clear golden coloured ale, faint floral aroma.

Nice crisp hop flavour, delicious beer that I would have liked to do a side by side with the original- I think it'd be pretty darn close!

Perfect Sunday arvo beer, would love the recipe.

Aaaand that is the last of my lotto beers (I still have an old ale from Blind dog that won't be sampled for a few months yet- so I will still add that to this thread when I do).

BIG thank you to all those that participated, there was some really great beers in there- if you could take the time to post the recipes in the recipe thread that would be awesome :chug:

Also a BIG thank you to qldkev for organising this all!! It's been a great experience and I highly recommend any body to get involved in any future ones.

Cheers :beer:

Judanero said:
Aaaand that is the last of my lotto beers (I still have an old ale from Blind dog that won't be sampled for a few months yet- so I will still add that to this thread when I do).

BIG thank you to all those that participated, there was some really great beers in there- if you could take the time to post the recipes in the recipe thread that would be awesome :chug:

Also a BIG thank you to qldkev for organising this all!! It's been a great experience and I highly recommend any body to get involved in any future ones.

Course you'd say that, you got a truck load of good beers out of this :D J/K

I've appreciated the time you've taken to give the feedback you have mate, as it's given me a number of recipes I'm keen to try out myself when I can.....also waiting on a certain ESB recipe as well *grins

cheers mon :beerbang:

Judanero said:

Did my baltic porter end up arriving?
Admittedly I know the carbonation was low and it may have been a little oxidised (I was lazy and bottled with a pluto gun...)

It's been a pleasure reading all the reviews, big thanks to yourself and benken for posting up pictures of all your glassware filled with delicious looking brews :)

MadPierre, that would have been a postal truck load of beer? LOL

Could someone please post the link for the recipe thread?

sp0rk said:
Did my baltic porter end up arriving?
Admittedly I know the carbonation was low and it may have been a little oxidised (I was lazy and bottled with a pluto gun...)
I received a Baltic Porter from you sp0rk. It's safely in the fridge waiting the right moment for me to try it...probably this weekend.
I have one other from Topher/CapnK which I still need to taste, and then I'm done as well.

Judanero said:

Well said. Particularly being new to brewing it's been a great experience to taste a variety of styles so early in the journey. Still gotta write up a couple more reviews and waiting on two more to arrive I think as well.

Thank you to all. When every beer has been received and tasted I will be posting my winner.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
I received a Baltic Porter from you sp0rk. It's safely in the fridge waiting the right moment for me to try it...probably this weekend.
I have one other from Topher/CapnK which I still need to taste, and then I'm done as well.
Awesome,
Let it warm up a little before serving and the malt really shines :D
I've got 3 litres of it sitting on toasted american oak, can't wait to crack it open once the weather cools down a bit

Latest posts

Back