Christmas In July 2010 Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Aussiechucka - private : Received
5. Muggus - Will drop off at your place during the week
13. NickB - Public Feedback
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt. : Received
25. Josh - public feedback, to be sent late July as per PM
69. MattC - Public : Received
67. J1gsaw : Received
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered) : Received
79. bum - public feedback
Sorry Jord, I forgot to put the bottle in with your swap case!
I'll swing by during the week and drop it off at your house...it's only just down the road afterall.

thanks for the feedback manticle. this is actually my first attempt at a wild type of beer and im also quite happy with the result, i cant take any credit for the recipe though its the clone recipe straight out of jamils brewing classic styles.the only adjustments i made were for ibus with my hops. with this one i used the wyeast belgian ardennes yeast in primary and a packet of brett brux for the secondary. primary fermented out at around 20-22 and secondary about 18-20. i waited about 5 months for the pellicle to drop then dry hopped with styrians for a week before bottling. out of the primary i did not like the base beer at all to be honest and at bottling i only primed for two volumes so the brett is still going in the bottles for sure. i also feel from my tastings that its a touch sweet compared to orval, but i have another one going now fermented with white labs bastone yeast so will let that finish out before i tweak the recipe to compensate. any way im just glad you enjoyed the beer and am quite apprecitive for the detailed feedback.

cheers dwayne

Finally sent them off today! Both are ready for drinking...The bitter (long neck) may benefit from another couple weeks. Sorry I have no aged beers as I Am still new at this game so Have not enough beer for a cellar..(YET) as I am "drinkin" it all...I hope you enjoy them.. Thank you once again for your patience. I Have enclosed an extra stubbie as interest. I would love your feedback!

jord - just wondering if you received my bottles?

Cheers

jord - just wondering if you received my bottles?

Cheers

Hi Nick,

I did indeed. Have been holidaying, but had the neighbour keeping an eye on the mail. Sorry to leave you hanging!

There were also beers from Chadjaja, and Muggus. Thank you to all those brewers :beerbang:

1. Aussiechucka - private : Received
5. Muggus - I'll put my entry in with your HUB case swap beers : Received
13. NickB - Public Feedback : Received
17.Chadjaja : Received
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt. : Received
25. Josh - public feedback, to be sent late July as per PM
69. MattC - Public : Received
67. J1gsaw : Received
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered) : Received
79. bum - public feedback

Hey Jord, you can post some feedback on the Citra amber ale of mine if you wish, cheers

69. MattC - Vienna Lager

Clean rich malt aroma showing no hops or fruity esters. Nice hint of toast malt.
Copper colour, and good clarity. Off white head, though didn't persist.
Malt carried through in the flavour, well balanced by hop bitterness. Low hop flavour, medium body and a nice dry finish.
A great beer, thoroughly enjoyed, and true to style. No obvious faults that I am aware of. Very happy to have that second bottle stashed away in the fridge.

67. J1gsaw - Citra Amber Ale

Big hit of passionfruit in the aroma, with some malt and low esters.
Deep amber colour with large off white head which was well retained. Slightly haze, possibly from dry hops or Australia Post?
All about the hops in the flavour, with prominent passionfruit and citrus, with malt coming through in the finish to balance well.
Medium mouth feel with nice strong carbonation and medium finish.
Another well crafted beer that I would be proud to brew, with no obvious faults that I am aware of. Rounded out an excellent evening of tasting!

Many thanks men!

Cheers

Jord

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED
4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public: RECEIVED
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
12. Isuxius - public
14. gulpa - public: RECEIVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public: RECEIVED
28. Ratchie: RECEIVED
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED
42. booyablack - public: RECEIVED
44.Smilee - public
52. Cocko: RECEIVED
58. O'Henry
70. Aussiechucka - private: RECEIVED

Got a bottle from WA. Sender first name starts with R, surname M, beer was from the busted arse brewery - no username. A couple of people did PM me to say this might happen but I drank beer and forgot who they are.

Smilee - no worries at all.

Got a bottle from WA. Sender first name starts with R, surname M, beer was from the busted arse brewery - no username. A couple of people did PM me to say this might happen but I drank beer and forgot who they are.

DOH!
That'll be me.
:)

Cheers arsebuster.

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED
4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED
6. beerDingo -
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
12. Isuxius - public: RECEIVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED
44.Smilee - public
58. O'Henry

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED Consumed
4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED Consumed
6. beerDingo -
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee: RECEIVED - above and beyond mate - 1 longneck plus 3 stubbies? Cheers
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
44.Smilee - public
58. O'Henry

Wow ...the things you miss when you are offline for awhile...shame I missed this one :(

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED Consumed
4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED Consumed
6. beerDingo -
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee: RECEIVED - above and beyond mate - 1 longneck plus 3 stubbies? Cheers
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
44.Smilee - public
58. O'Henry

12: Isuxius: Imperial dark pale/light brown

Pours relatively clear into a pint glass with off white/tan head that stays. Aroma of earth, wood, ethanol and caramel

Carbonation sherbert (good stuff)

Medium to dry body. I can taste a teeny bit of granny smith which makes me think you have a touch of acetylaldehyde in there. There is also a significant warm alcohol note. Being quite a strong beer, I'm guessing there may have been a little yeast stress along the way which caused these things. I think without them this would be a delicious beer but they dominate just that little bit too much. The earthiness on the finish is quite nice but that ethanol taste is a bit much.

75. Planner - Pale Ale

Light golden in colour, with a large white head and good retention. Good clarity in the glass.
Aroma was low in hops, more malt with a little breadiness.
This followed through in the flavour, with low hop flavour and bitterness leaving balance towards the malt. Moderate fruity esters and a medium finish. A light body and high carbonation.
Overall, a great looking and easy drinking beer. Style wise, walks a line between the English and American PA. Malt driven as for a bitter, though slightly sweet. Lacking the bitterness and hop flavour/aroma of an APA, and too high in carbonation. Not shit canning the beer at all, just trying to say it doesn't fit into either category exclusively, but is a nice easy drinking beer in its own right, with smooth malt and nothing offensive to my tastes. Great job Planner, and many thanks.

69. MattC - Vienna Lager

Clean rich malt aroma showing no hops or fruity esters. Nice hint of toast malt.
Copper colour, and good clarity. Off white head, though didn't persist.
Malt carried through in the flavour, well balanced by hop bitterness. Low hop flavour, medium body and a nice dry finish.
A great beer, thoroughly enjoyed, and true to style. No obvious faults that I am aware of. Very happy to have that second bottle stashed away in the fridge.

Jord

Glad you liked it mate, My second Vienna Lager and my first attemp at a double decoction mash. Was pretty happy with the way the malt came through.

Cheers

Manticle I did send my bottle of beer yesterday and it should reach you in the next couple of days. Sorry for the delay but it is finally on its way.
Thanks Adam

paulwolf sent you bottle yesterday also, sorry about my slackness.

75. Planner - Pale Ale

Light golden in colour, with a large white head and good retention. Good clarity in the glass.
Aroma was low in hops, more malt with a little breadiness.
This followed through in the flavour, with low hop flavour and bitterness leaving balance towards the malt. Moderate fruity esters and a medium finish. A light body and high carbonation.
Overall, a great looking and easy drinking beer. Style wise, walks a line between the English and American PA. Malt driven as for a bitter, though slightly sweet. Lacking the bitterness and hop flavour/aroma of an APA, and too high in carbonation. Not shit canning the beer at all, just trying to say it doesn't fit into either category exclusively, but is a nice easy drinking beer in its own right, with smooth malt and nothing offensive to my tastes. Great job Planner, and many thanks.

Jord

Thanks for the feedback, its the first feed back I've recieved from a brewer on any of my beers.
On the lack of hops, I listened too much to the PoR doomsayers and reduced both flavour and aroma additions (my first use of PoR). I currently have in the fermenter the same brew with the PoR upped considerably.
As for not fitting into categories, this doesn't bother me at present. I brew for me, not for comps at this stage (but still welcome the info).

Planner

Just sent now. Sorry for the delay, should be there by next tuesday. I've got to start bottling a couple each brew in plastic...

Jord

Thanks for the feedback, its the first feed back I've recieved from a brewer on any of my beers.
On the lack of hops, I listened too much to the PoR doomsayers and reduced both flavour and aroma additions (my first use of PoR). I currently have in the fermenter the same brew with the PoR upped considerably.
As for not fitting into categories, this doesn't bother me at present. I brew for me, not for comps at this stage (but still welcome the info).

Planner

To be honest, its some of the first feedback I've given too, so I hope it was constructive. I was going off the Style Guidelines to help me write something up, which is why I referred to it in the feedback. I'm all for 'brewing for you', your the one thats drinking it after all! :chug: Wasn't a bad place to start either, nothing wrong with starting low and working it up, and enjoying some nice malty beers along the way :D What IBUs were you aiming for with your recipe?

Good luck with the next batch mate, and thanks again.

Cheers

Jord

Back