Christmas In July 2010 Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manticle,
Baltic porter has been sent. Bottled this one and only two moe pints from keg. Time to get brewing.

Got the mrs to post it. Had to survive many an eyeroll for this one.

Look forward to your feedback... Brutally honest and all

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED
4. Sydneyhappyhour-
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public
10. Siborg -
12. Isuxius - public
14. gulpa - public: RECEIVED
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED
40. QldKev - public
42. booyablack - public
44.Smilee
52. Cocko
58. O'Henry
70. Aussiechucka - private: RECEIVED

Cheers argon - look forward to it. Can you imagine the eye rolling I'm getting every time a bottle comes to the door?

4. Sydneyhappyhour-
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public
10. Siborg -
12. Isuxius - public
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED
42. booyablack - public
44.Smilee
52. Cocko
58. O'Henry

Mine was mailed this morning so I assume it will arrive on Monday from Vic. I included a dark strong belgian 9 (short green bottle) Belgian dubbel 7% (taller brown bottle). The dark was poured from the keg so not sure how it will stand up in time but capped on foam so oxidistion shouldn't be too much of a concern, its tasting alright earlier than I thought. The other is bottle conditioned and about 2 months or so old. My latest landlord isn't quite up to scratch and didn't want to pass on beer I don't think is ok

Enjoy you lucky bugger <_< :lol:

Thanks to those who's parcels were waiting at the door when I got home last night. All arrived safe and sound and are now in the fridge to settle out for a bit.

Cheers lads

1. Aussiechucka : Received
5. Muggus
13. NickB - Public Feedback
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS
25. Josh
69. MattC : Received
67. J1gsaw : Received
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered)
79. bum - public feedback

Mine was posted this afternoon express, so you should see them tomorrow. Have sent a Lite Rice Lager and a Dark Mild.

Have also PMed as well.

Cheers

I was going to wait until most/all had arrived before cracking any but I'm trying to hang onto my own few remaining bottles for the case swap this weekend and I have a hankering for non commercial beers (so ignoring the coopers stout on top of the fridge for now). Also Andrew QLD kindly provided 2
stubbies so I can sample one later in the piece.

4. Sydneyhappyhour-
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public
10. Siborg -
12. Isuxius - public
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie

Pours crystal clear, nice gold colour. head pours slightly thin, dissipates quickly. Carbonation is where I like it (ie not too fizzy but certainly not flat - just that nice sherbert sensation that goes down easy and doesn't make me burp).

Aroma has a faint honey sweetness and very mild yeast phenolics (pleasant phenolics - not like my recent dubbel).

First sip has a rich flavour. Simultaneously wood, yeast and something that reminds me of a good speyside single malt.

There's a mild fruity flavour - somewhere between apple and pear (but not acetylaldehyde). A sweetness and a woodiness that lingers with a very mild but lingering bitter finish. No specific hop flavour - just the yeast and wood. Wood is subtle (ie - not like chewing on a twig) but definitely present and is what I think is giving me the single malt characteristic.

It's a really nicely balanced beer and if you PMed me your recipe and mash schedule, I wouldn't be upset. It ticks all the boxes of balanced, malty, bitter and yeast driven but doesn't actually taste like any other beer of my experience which I reckon is a great achievement.

Have to say - for a 9.2 percenter, there is absolutely no hint of extra strength or hot alc in the flavour which is also worthy of note. Great beer all round.

Cheers. I'll save the next one as long as I can and see how age changes it.

42. booyablack - public
44.Smilee
52. Cocko
58. O'Henry

I was going to wait until most/all had arrived before cracking any but I'm trying to hang onto my own few remaining bottles for the case swap this weekend and I have a hankering for non commercial beers (so ignoring the coopers stout on top of the fridge for now). Also Andrew QLD kindly provided 2
stubbies so I can sample one later in the piece.

4. Sydneyhappyhour-
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public
10. Siborg -
12. Isuxius - public
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie

Pours crystal clear, nice gold colour. head pours slightly thin, dissipates quickly. Carbonation is where I like it (ie not too fizzy but certainly not flat - just that nice sherbert sensation that goes down easy and doesn't make me burp).

Aroma has a faint honey sweetness and very mild yeast phenolics (pleasant phenolics - not like my recent dubbel).

First sip has a rich flavour. Simultaneously wood, yeast and something that reminds me of a good speyside single malt.

There's a mild fruity flavour - somewhere between apple and pear (but not acetylaldehyde). A sweetness and a woodiness that lingers with a very mild but lingering bitter finish. No specific hop flavour - just the yeast and wood. Wood is subtle (ie - not like chewing on a twig) but definitely present and is what I think is giving me the single malt characteristic.

It's a really nicely balanced beer and if you PMed me your recipe and mash schedule, I wouldn't be upset. It ticks all the boxes of balanced, malty, bitter and yeast driven but doesn't actually taste like any other beer of my experience which I reckon is a great achievement.

Have to say - for a 9.2 percenter, there is absolutely no hint of extra strength or hot alc in the flavour which is also worthy of note. Great beer all round.

42. booyablack - public
44.Smilee
52. Cocko
58. O'Henry

What was the beer?

:lol:

Thanks for the feed back Manticle, surprisingly your tasting is similar to my own although I was hoping for a bit more carbonation, it's still young though. There's no secret with the recipe so I will post it here tomorrow if that's ok.

Kev, this is my Wooded Strong Belgian Golden Ale. You'll get to sample at the end of the month.

Cheers
Andrew

@ MattC and Aussiechucka, thanks a lot for getting onto that so quickly fellas. I'll be waiting for the posty!

And thanks to all the blokes on my list for replying to my PMs, and being so generous with their choice of offerings! You have opened your beer fridges and bottle crates to me, and it won't be forgotten.

Following Manticles lead, if you have a preference for receiving feedback, please post it below.

1. Aussiechucka
5. Muggus
13. NickB
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt.
25. Josh
69. MattC
67. J1gsaw
75. Planner
79. bum
Apart from notes in PM re: kegged version, any feedback would be appreciated thanks Jord. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Im fine with public feedback, I have updated below...

5. Muggus
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS
25. Josh
69. MattC - Public : Received
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered)

5. Muggus - I'll put my entry in with your HUB case swap beers
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt.
25. Josh - public feedback, to be sent late July as per PM
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered) : Received

1. Aussiechucka - private : Received
5. Muggus - I'll put my entry in with your HUB case swap beers
17.Chadjaja
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt. : Received
25. Josh - public feedback, to be sent late July as per PM
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered) : Received

Jord, the last few points took ages to drop so mine will definitely be sent last minute as feared but will still hit the post before the comp's deadline. It probably won't be quite ready to drink either. Very sorry for being a straggler - I wish I could tell you it'd be worth the wait...

Jord, the last few points took ages to drop so mine will definitely be sent last minute as feared but will still hit the post before the comp's deadline. It probably won't be quite ready to drink either. Very sorry for being a straggler - I wish I could tell you it'd be worth the wait...

Gday bum,

Don't sweat the timing mate, knew from the start that it was a work in progress, and you can't rush these things. And don't be too quick to write it off, bit of time in the bottle and it will come good. I'm looking forward to it either way.

As mentioned in my PM this beer is still in the fermenter and after tasting today's SG sample I'm ashamed to say that I'm not sure it is going to be up to scratch. Will still send before the due date and will still want brutally honest criticism as I've never had another brewer (aside from a k&k mate) taste my beers and would love an informed opinion on fixes/potential merits. I will hang on to your address and keep sending you beers until one is a good'un to make up for it.

So let me get this straight. I just keep telling you that the beers aren't much chop, and you'll keep sending them to me...? This could work :p

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Jord

4. Sydneyhappyhour-
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED
12. Isuxius - public
20.pike1973
22.Smilee
26. Haldini - public
28. Ratchie

Belgian Golden Ale (oaked)

42. booyablack - public
44.Smilee
52. Cocko: RECEIVED
58. O'Henry

English Mild-saison

Pours quite murky, nice head which remains.

Very slightly funky smell, presumably from the saison yeast. Body is very light, almost thin, quite thirst quenching when combined with the tartness from the yeast.

Very light hint of raisin in the finish, quite dry but with a little hint of sweet fruit.

I've only ever had a couple of saisons and never a homebrewed one but this kind of fits my idea of how they are - lowish alc, thirst quenching, should be drunk with some good bread and cheese. The closest I've come today was a chicken breast sandwich but I can say 'avez vous du fromage?' just to set the scene a bit better.

Just taking the edge of the slight case swap hangover that's been keeping me company today so a welcome beverage.

What's the yeast? - I might reculture

Cheers

IIPA

Pours cloudy orange with a head that would sink the titanic. There is a large fluffy meringue island on top of my pint glass.

Aroma is surprisingly subtle - slightly caramel and a hint of fruit.

Loads of flavour though - the caramel and fruit sweetness suddenly become really prevalent. At a supposed 107 IBU I expected more of a whack in the face bitterness. However not getting it is not a disappointment - there is a nice lingering bitterness in the finish to balance the fruit and sweet and that's all I need.

I'm starting to develop a love for hops (always been a malt man) as long as they are balanced out. I don't enjoy beers that are all hops and nothing else - seems like a one trick pony. This has a few dimensions going on.

The level of carbonation is good - really pleased that the few lotto beers I've tried so far haven't been like fresh burpy coke*.

I'm no BJCP judge but this beer has done its job I reckon - sweet malt and fruity hops, bitterness and balance. Very enjoyable, thanks mate.

*Doing the ocassional hop burp though

At this rate you won't have even received mine before you finish them all! And I am happy for public. Will be in the mail on Monday.

Edit: and nice work on the descriptions. Way more detail than I could ever have done. Kinda glad you won it and not me.

So let me get this straight. I just keep telling you that the beers aren't much chop, and you'll keep sending them to me...? This could work :p

I like the way you're thinking but, sadly for us both, this is no false modesty. It is a style (well, a couple styles, really) that I've never attempted before so I might be a little premature and it could come good but I don't think so at this stage. Anyway, I won't harp on about it. I'll just wait to see what you reckon.

Glad you enjoyed it Mants, it's been in the bottle for just over 6 months I reckon, bitterness was quite harsh at the start but mellowed considerably the last 2. Sadly I only have about 5 bottles left, and one is in the fridge ready for drinking tonight. I kinda worked this one off a Pliney The Elder recipe as well so the amount of hops that went in were amazing. Cheers for the feedback :icon_cheers:

Back