Christmas food - Roast dead animal or...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found a roadkill goanna this arvo.
marinating in soy sauce with garlic and sugar. going to braise it in the wok.

Loads of dead animal flesh, but on the BBQ. Conveniently, we're having our Xmas BBQ on my wife's cousins farm this year...animals everywhere. :)

Bribie G said:
Curried goat.
Punjabi style.

I was going to buy some Tasmanian Wallaby today but forgot to go back to the deli due to my alcohol brain syndrome.
Plenty of wallabies hopping around my lawn at the moment..bloody stinkies

I will be having the full roast (pork) with all the roast trimmings. Helps that the temp will only be around 20 deg.

Happy Xmas
Tas Chris

Seafood platter for the wife & me tonight...Prawns, oysters, mussels & crab and a few pale ales.
Then Roast pork & Lamb in the weber tomorrow for the whole family.

Ahh dead animal eating, I love dead animal eating, and will be eating dead chicken, pig, prawns and certainly dead cow. Might even be a few other dead animals I may eat, but definately the above.

Will be washed down with home brewed saison. I brewed one in November for tomorrow, but it evaporated so I had to do version 2.0, which has evaporated too, but there should be some left tomorrow haha.

Merry Christmas ahb'ers, may your glasses be lacy

We do a rolled leg of lamb on the BBQ rotisserie, doing it outside keeps the heat out of the house. Although I'm not sure it is going to be a problem here in Canberra this year.

Tiger prawns, crayfish, oysters & smoked salmon picked them up this morning and having them in the car with me brought back something my Grandfather told me when supping from his glass of wisdom, "Wee lad when you grow up to be a man you will find there are 2 things smell like fish, and one of thems fish"
Never did find out what the other one was. :)

3 big meals for me. Bacon, Eggs, sausages, baked beans, fried tomato, black pudding, etc..... for breakfast at my place with the whole family, then its off to my olds for a cold platter lunch - Salads, turkey, ham, chicken, etc followed by a mandatory slice of mums xmas pud, then its off to the ex outlaws for a traditional xmas dinner - roast turkey and veg.

Hope you all have a great and safe xmas.

Cheers.

Yay go the black pudding. I had a rehearsal of the above just half an hour ago, bacon, eggs, black pudding, fried home grown cherry tomatoes, a mug of Ayran and a couple of oranges from nearby Mt. George (population 300, surnames 2, heads 340).

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been derailed into a vegan bashing exercise. Personally I quite like vegans.

They taste like pork. :icon_drool2:

Bacon and eggs for breakfast in the morning. Lunch and dinner will just be cold turkey I've done in the BBQ today.

Bribie, any chance you could give us the recipe for your Punjabi Goat?

I will be doing a pork roast on the BBQ this arvo, it is the wife's birthday tomorrow so we will celebrate that tonight. Xmas day will be baked ham, roast chook etc. Followed by vast amounts of pudding. All washed down with cold beers on tap....!!!! I almost feel like a lie down already.

Smoked beef shoulder with bioche buns and coleslaw tonight.

Boston Butt in the smoker and a turkey in the BBQ for lunch and all the trimmings.

Having the locals over for dinner after that. All the leftovers will be served!

The local butcher's hand made ham. And I'm throwing a whole salmon on the smoker. Its sitting in a juniper, honey and bay brine right now.

And some salad and stuff.

Will be deep frying a 5.5kg turkey as part of my contribution to Xmas. :icon_drool2:

goomboogo said:
Bacon and eggs for breakfast in the morning. Lunch and dinner will just be cold turkey I've done in the BBQ today.

Bribie, any chance you could give us the recipe for your Punjabi Goat?
I'm following the method shown in "Rick Stein's India" episode last night. Starting at 42.33 for the full story.

The elderly Indian Gentleman's Father made this in the 1940s using "mutton" which is of course what they call goat, cut into small pieces on the bone. Scored 2Kg from Newcastle last time I was down there. :kooi:

Basically he uses a paste made from fried onions, then a paste made from boiled onions plus a homemade tomato puree.
I'd take three fairly large red onions, chop finely and fry in oil or ghee till caramelised then zap them in a blender.
Meanwhile do the same to three onions chopped and simmered in enough water to cover for two hours then zap.

I'd use Passata for the tomato component.

For us, chicken liver pate snacks followed by:

Coconut panko prawns
Panko scallops
Panko pork
Honey soy chicken skewers
Green curry soy pork skewers
Haloumi tomato zucchini skewers
Haloumi mushroom skewers
Crunchy Asian noodle salad

I think mum is bringing cherry cheesecake for dessert...

Got a good tip from Nigella :wub: :wub: ( May she give up the crack, well not that crack) to get a really good set of metal flat skewers so they don't spin in the meat when you turn. Got some from a kitchen shop as opposed to the pov bamboo ones often used.

Roast beef, pork, chicken.. Turkey.. Sometimes lamb. Nothing is sacred, we eat it all, there is also seafood for those inclined, some good german tater salad and some other aussie mayo and potato versions.. Then there's the shite load of veg and salads!

Latest posts

Back