Christmas 2009 Lottery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any updates on consumption mossy??
Ok guys here is some more tasting results. There will be 3 or 4 stout or porter reviews that I will not be able to provide as I took them to a function and they were drunk by other people.
Please remember these are only my opinions and should not dissuade you from enjoying your beers.

Date Brewer Style Comments

8/01/2010 Dr Smurto Centennial IPA Clarity - Hazy

Carbonation - good

Colour - Dark Copper

Aroma - Floral - Low Citrusy

Flavour/Taste - Medium hop bitterness that lingers and leaves an enjoyable aftertaste

Overall Impression - Not as hoppy as I would have expected from an IPA but that is just my oponion.
Smooth mouth feel with a sweet flavour. I enjoyed this beer.

16/01/2010 wonderwoman Coopers Canadian Clarity - slight haze
Blonde extract
Colour - Light gold

Aroma - flowery - very faint

Flavour/Taste - Tart, lasting bitterness on back of tongue. Dry aftertaste.

Overall Impression - This beer was far better that a St. Arnou premium blonde I have tasted.

16/01/2010 Bulp Scottish Export Clarity - Excellent

Carbonation - Good - is this what is expetced from this style?

Aroma - Nil

Flavour/Taste - Dry aftertaste with a slight caramel flavour

Overall Impression - I have never had this style of beer before so it was interesting to taste, thanks.

16/01/2010 Petesbrew IPA - Bad Santa 7% Clarity - Clear

Colour - Golden Copper

Aroma - Floral - slight

Flavour/Taste - Dry aftertaste and slight caramel. Good hop flavour - possibly more bittering hops

Overall Impression - Very good beer. I enjoyed this beer immensely. Recipe please.

16/01/2010 Thunus Aussie Ale Clarity - Slight haze

Colour - Light copper

Aroma - Slight fruitiness - friend commented he could pick up "banana" aroma

Flavour/Taste - Sweet apricot and pear flavours

Overall Impression - Apply for a job at Coppers as I don't mind a Coopers Pale Ale every now and then
but this was head and shoulders above that beer. Well done.

16/01/2009 Damien44 ? Clarity - Clear

Colour - Copper

Aroma - Grassy, slight hay aroma

Flavour/Taste - Tart aftertaste. Caramel flavours.

Overall Impression - Once this beer warmed, I enjoyed the flavours of this beer immensely. I only wish
you had sent 2 bottles.

16/01/2010 KHB AIPA Clarity - clear

Colour - Light copper

Aroma - Floral and grassy aroma

Flavour/Taste - Sweet with no lingering aftertaste

Overall Impression - I think I should have drunk this upon receipt as it was flat when I came to drink it.
But overlooking this, it was still enjoyable.

16/01/2010 Bizier Summer Ale Clarity - clear

Colour - Light copper

Aroma - Sweet honey

Flavour/Taste - Medicine cabinet and tamarind flovours

Overall Impression - I think this beer might be infected.

16/01/2010 DJ Xmoose Ale Clarity - medium dark

Colour - Dark copper

Aroma - Like friut soaked in rum and bitters aroma

Flavour/Taste - Tasted like Xmas pudding with a hint of fortified wine

Overall Impression - A very different tasting beer for me and one I'd like to try again.
This beer would be excellent with the Xmas dessert or a boiled fruit cake. Most enjoyable. Recipe please.

16/01/2010 Brendo A Pale Ale Clarity - Slight haze

Colour - Golden

Aroma - Slight to nil

Flavour/Taste - Subdued hop flavour with some malt backbone

Overall Impression - Needs more malt backbone and maybe more hops maybe Amarillo to add a bit
more citrusy note to the beer. But I still enjoyed drink this one.

27/01/2010 Andrew Clark Aussie Ale Clarity - Clear

Colour - Golden

Aroma - Very fruity

Flavour/Taste - Very bitter aftertaste (I'd say from the Marco Polo hops)

Overall Impression - Enjoyed this ale except for the Marco Polo influence.

27/01/2010 Homebrewer79 Amarillo Pale Ale Clarity - Slight Haze

Colour - Copper

Aroma - Good citrus aroma

Flavour/Taste - Slight bitterness that lingers awaiting the next mouthful of beer.

Overall Impression - Good head and carbonation. Amarillo is one of my favourite US hops. I think maybe
more bittering hops. A most enjoyable beer. I wish you had sent 2 bottles.

27/01/2010 Bowie in Space Summer Ale Clarity - Slight Haze

Colour - Light gold

Flavour/Taste - Dry aftertaste

Overall Impression - Pleasant summer beer an excellent beer to enjoy around the pool on a hot summers day
A friend commented this is a good beer to introduce young females to the world of beers.

27/01/2010 Doogiechap IPA Clarity - Very hazy

Colour - Gold

Aroma - Good citrus and fruit aromas possible orange

Flavour/Taste - Very strong hop flavour

Overall Impression - A most enjoyable beer.

27/10/2010 Gregs Aussie Ale refer Thunus review

27/01/2010 Beerhog Aussie Lager Clarity - Clear

Colour - Pale straw

Aroma - Unable to detect much aroma

Flavour/Taste - Very crisp with very low hop flavour

Overall Impression - An excellent example of an Aussie lager far better that what I can remember of XXXX
or Tooheys New.

27/01/2010 Mikey Pilsner Clarity - Clear

Colour - Straw

Aroma - Unable to detect much aroma

Flavour/Taste - Very dry aftertaste

Overall Impression - A very sweet beer with no standout hop flavours. A friend and I enjoyed this beer.

16/01/2010 DJ Xmoose Ale Clarity - medium dark

Colour - Dark copper

Aroma - Like friut soaked in rum and bitters aroma

Flavour/Taste - Tasted like Xmas pudding with a hint of fortified wine

Overall Impression - A very different tasting beer for me and one I'd like to try again.
This beer would be excellent with the Xmas dessert or a boiled fruit cake. Most enjoyable. Recipe please.

glad you liked it mate :icon_chickcheers: Receipe is in the database...

27/01/2010 Homebrewer79 Amarillo Pale Ale Clarity - Slight Haze

Colour - Copper

Aroma - Good citrus aroma

Flavour/Taste - Slight bitterness that lingers awaiting the next mouthful of beer.

Overall Impression - Good head and carbonation. Amarillo is one of my favourite US hops. I think maybe
more bittering hops. A most enjoyable beer. I wish you had sent 2 bottles.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, cheers

I'm pretty happy you confirmed my thoughts on the Marco Polo hops Mossy, sorry to have inflicted that on you but I appreciate the feedback, it's also interesting to note that even after 2 months in the bottle the bitterness was still overwhelming.

Cheers

Andrew

I'm pretty happy you confirmed my thoughts on the Marco Polo hops Mossy, sorry to have inflicted that on you but I appreciate the feedback, it's also interesting to note that even after 2 months in the bottle the bitterness was still overwhelming.

Cheers

Andrew
:icon_offtopic: Andrew, I'll think you'll find it was your poor brewing techniques that contributed to the poor result on this beer... Its true... a unamed, but highly credible source that I'm not prepared to name told me so! :p :lol:

:icon_offtopic: Andrew, I'll think you'll find it was your poor brewing techniques that contributed to the poor result on this beer... Its true... a unamed, but highly credible source that I'm not prepared to name told me so! :p :lol:

I'm devastated DJ, but I'll get over it :p .

Andrew

Cheers for the feedback Mossy.

Just a note though, you obviously 'judged' it as an AIPA. It is/was an english IPA with subtle use of american hops so the hop flavour/aroma was more subdued allowing the malt and bitterness to shine.

Keep powering through those beers mate :icon_drunk:

Overall Impression - Once this beer warmed, I enjoyed the flavours of this beer immensely. I only wish
you had sent 2 bottles.

mossyrock im positive i sent two bottles, i carted them all the way to Bathurst and posted from there. Do you remember opening the box and only seeing one bottle?

TYVM Damian

Damian,

You are probably right. I must have read my notes incorrectly because I did note 2 bottles but I assumed I wished for another one.
The other bottle was probably drunk my a mate when we were enjoying the beers.

Cheers

16/01/2010 wonderwoman Coopers Canadian Clarity - slight haze
Blonde extract
Colour - Light gold

Aroma - flowery - very faint

Flavour/Taste - Tart, lasting bitterness on back of tongue. Dry aftertaste.

Overall Impression - This beer was far better that a St. Arnou premium blonde I have tasted.

Thanks for the feedback.

It was supposed to be a 'summer ale,' but pehaps the front label fell off and all you got was the recipe on the back label?

It was heavily dry hopped with galaxy and NS, so I'm a bit disappointed that the aroma was only faint.

I'm not sure if your comments are necessarily positive :unsure: , but they're definitely not negative - i'll take that :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the comments Mossy; I must say that this is the first time that Thunnus & I have brewed this beer and at first I was not sure about it but over time this beer has mellowed and I do enjoy it. We cant take the credit for the original recipe as it is AndrewQlds award winning Aussie Ale, but I guess we must have done a good job on the day. This was brewed on my system and fermented by Thunus. So thanks again for the comments.

Cheers .gregs.

I'm sure mossy will update in his own time. He does have 80 beers to get through and possibly a life in addition to that.

He won and was under no obligation to provide detailed tasting notes of each one. While I hope he enjoyed/enjoys mine and I'm interested to hear about it I didn't send it off for critique, I sent it off because that was the deal.

I too am wondering what a seasoned homebrewer thinks of my brew. Half dreading the outcome though...

Latest posts

Back