Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam and peas,

There are some baseless comments within the statements you quote but nowhere is there a single statement that chinese products are inherently bad and australian products inherently good.

I do know that Australian garlic tastes better than Chinese, but it's smaller and tends to grow and dry out.

Which is why I supplemented it with "more or less".

I do know that Australian garlic tastes better than Chinese

"Tastes better"? Funny you should use this phrase in a post stating no one is making blanket statements. Chinese garlic is much better suited (funnily enough) to Asian styles of cooking than Australian garlic. You just need to use a little more of it (but since it is a hell of a lot cheaper I guess that isn't really going to be much of an issue).

the chinese are selling products at a price which is set by western companies, so who is evil?

at my local coles and woolworths the purple garlic is called spanish purple garlic, and according to the label its imported from spain. all the other stuff says its from china.

ooowww.. hope you dont make a racist decision by choosing one over the other...? ;)

What a strange thread. Most of the stuff you can buy here in aus comes from china, and no one complains ( because they dont know its made in china ), but when its pointed out that something is made there, its "Oh no the quality is crap!!!". Sure, there might be some dodgy factories, and some terrible work practise there, but a lot of the stuff is fine quality wise, and although people assume that things are made there for purely price reasons, sometimes its because the quality is better than what can be made locally.

Think about it, the keyboard you're typing on is more than likely made there, so is the monitor, and most of the bits. Same as most of the stuff in your house, and your car, and clothes, T.V etc.

Interesting. Start at one end and skim through to the other (as usual). How do hops end up translating to garlic? :blink: Too many people with problems regarding their other little purple bulb I think.

Warren -

Whatever, someone in the first 2 pages informs us Chinese garlic is grown in shit and then bleached. I didn`t know that. :(
Do they bleach it to remove the taste of shit, or to sanitise it or what?
I`m not buying anymore till I find out.

stagga.

Whatever, someone in the first 2 pages informs us Chinese garlic is grown in shit and then bleached. I didn`t know that. :(
Do they bleach it to remove the taste of shit, or to sanitise it or what?
I`m not buying anymore till I find out.

stagga.
I grow all my food in "sh1t" - garlic, herbs, spinach, citrus, chillis, spring onions, etc, etc. Cow sh1t, chicken sh1t (dynamic lifter), horse sh1t - any sh1t I can get hold of. Old man brings me bags full of sheep sh1t dug out from under shearing sheds every time he visits. Damn good stuff.

They don't bleach the garlic to get rid of the sh1t stains. They bleach it because markets have been conditioned into thinking that white garlic is fresher, or better, or whatever the ignorant masses think. Of course, over the next few years I can see a market for people colouring their garlic purple, as now that appears to be the sign of "good" garlic.

Personally, I buy a few bulbs of cheap garlic, chuck the individual cloves in the ground around this time of year (a few weeks back I did mine), cover them in sh1t, and let em go. They need almost no water, have HEAPS of flavour - enough that you use half as much, and they last longer then it takes to use 'em.

I don't want to wage in on this thread regarding chinese issues.

However, Zebba, growing food in the garden in animal manure is very different from growing it in human waste.
I am unsure if the original post stating this was refering to human or animal waste.

But I doubt you would use your own faeces to fertilise your own garden.

Marlow

In some Australian council areas, human sewage sludge is often used to fertilise sports fields, parks etc - after being heat treated and sanitized of course. Also I pee on my shallots, makes them greener and the alchohol content kills parasites :icon_cheers:

Everything I'm wearing at the moment (shirt, jeans, socks, jocks, shoes) was made in China. Good quality, no complaints. However my 3 tap font was made in India, should I send it back?

I don't want to wage in on this thread regarding chinese issues.

However, Zebba, growing food in the garden in animal manure is very different from growing it in human waste.
I am unsure if the original post stating this was refering to human or animal waste.

But I doubt you would use your own faeces to fertilise your own garden.

Marlow
I don't, but only because it is impractical.

My old man (him again?? - the man's a legend though) used to manage a pretty large horticultural farm that used to ship in truckloads of untreated sludge from the local sewage plant. That farm was universally accepted as the best in the industry at the time and he has numerous industry awards.

It all comes down to when you do it. I don't put Seasol on my plants if I'm going to be harvesting from them in the next few days. Same with sh1t.

It's about how it is managed, not whether or not they put faeces on it. You can argue that you don't trust the management practices, and that's fine. But arguing that they put sh1t on it, human or otherwise, and that makes it unworthy of your grocery bag is just silly.

I have no problem with the hops being Chinese. You'd better get used to it. Along with Chinese wine.

But their website is plagarised from HopUnion.

Qingdao Dahua seems to be the Pride of Ringwood equivalent for the Chinese brewing industry. Look forward to giving these a go. Perhaps for a Tsingtao clone?

Yeah the footy fields we play on are fertilized like that BribieG

But it is treated sewage, and I don't think anyone grows produce on the field :p (getting tackled and 'eating the dirt' may qualify)

And what comes out in your urine is fine to consume (unless you have some infection or serious kidney disease), though probably not all that nice.

What comes out in poop is a very different story, and causes a lot of serious disease in third world countries, due to its use as a fertiliser (or just being too close to crops or water supplies).

This is probable a little OT though.

So, China huh? :icon_cheers:

Marlow

Yeah the footy fields we play on are fertilized like that BribieG

But it is treated sewage, and I don't think anyone grows produce on the field :p (getting tackled and 'eating the dirt' may qualify)

And what comes out in your urine is fine to consume (unless you have some infection or serious kidney disease), though probably not all that nice.

What comes out in poop is a very different story, and causes a lot of serious disease in third world countries, due to its use as a fertiliser (or just being too close to crops or water supplies).

This is probable a little OT though.

So, China huh? :icon_cheers:

Marlow

Is that where the expression " eat sh1t and die" comes from?

Andrew
Edit: I don't mean from China.

As usual this thread has gone way of track, so just to keep it out there.........has anyone had a crack at using Garlic in lieu of hops? (Chinese, Turkish, Russian, Antarctic or other)

Chinese hops could be quite a superior product, after all the hop yards would surely be set out with perfect Feng Shui.

sounds like you're all just a bunch of racist f-wits to me.

Can't see how. We're all typing on chinese made keyboards, staring at chinese made monitors sitting on chinese made chairs. How can we hate the guys?

Anyhow back to the topic at hand - if I'm going to fertilise my hop plantation with shit, much brown should I dump on each rhizome? :lol:

Back