Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can picture it now; squated over your hop plant and the wife comes outside...
"What are you doing!!!"
Ripping of a branch to wipe himself. "Just fertilising the hops dear"

QldKev

Can't see how. We're all typing on chinese made keyboards, staring at chinese made monitors sitting on chinese made chairs. How can we hate the guys?

Anyhow back to the topic at hand - if I'm going to fertilise my hop plantation with shit, much brown should I dump on each rhizome? :lol:

just half cut pokin fun mate ;) certainly pushed along an interesting discussion I reckon.

Hmm, lots of misinformation on this thread...

Been to several farms in Australia and Europe that spread human effluent (treated) or sludge (untreated) on paddocks that either grow crops or animals...as has been mentioned, it is about managing the risks rather than not doing it! In fact it was common practice as little as 2-3 decades ago for raw effluent and raw sludge to be used in agriculture in Australia.

Also, many companies that manufacture in Australia sell to many markets, if the product has a flaw etc that stops them from selling to Australian and other western markets, they ship to the third world where the rules are less stringent...so are we just as bad as the Chinese from say the Africans perspective?

Whats that saying about stones and glass houses?

Lead in the paint of toys is a LOONG stretch of the imagination from food.

As is the melamine in milk, an adjunct that looks similar to protein (which is what it was used to substitute) in simple lab tests...and completely undetectable by the end user!

So could somebody tell me what the secret "adjunct" would be for hops that would go undetected by lab tests AND the end user (which incidentally is us)?

Not to mention the companies that import Chinese goods, make something out of them and sell it with "Made in Australia" or whatever other country it was made in on it...could also have a "produce of Australia" label on it if it used a minimal percentage of local stuff...

A lot of hype about nothing really...

Cost is OK

here is a reply

Good Morning Sir.
Thanks for your enquirey Please check the quotations on hop pellets as following:[/size]

ProductSAAZ aroma hop pellets (T-90)
Specification alfa acid 2%~4%
PRICE(USD) 5.80/kg
Package 20KG /aluminum foil bag (vacuum)
Shipment 15 days within confirmations of payment
Payment by T/T in advance, L/C at sight.

Product

CLUSTER bitter hop pellets (T-90)
Specification alfa-acid above 6.5%
PRICE(USD) 5.80/kg
Package 20KG/aluminum foil bag (vacuum)

Product

MARCO POLO bitter hop pellets (T-90)
Specification
alfa -acid above 10%~13.5%
PRICE(USD) 7.50/kg
Package 20KG/aluminum foil bag (vacuum)

Please also advise your postal address and then we shall evaluate the cost of transportation

:blink:

That is rather cheap...

Is 20kg the minimum purchase?

"What are you doing!!!"

:lol: !!!

No probs Sammus on your point - figured that was the case. Had a good laugh anyhow. Plenty of fun to be had on this forum sometimes!

Cheers,

Hopper.

Bugger it

Might go and buy a 20 kg bag. Might even get a 20kg bag of each

Like the great hop buy a few years ago when I got everyone super cheap hops its looks like its on again, so who is up to try this if I get the bags and split them. They certainly are cheap enough.

I guess I have to give my name thou

Graham L Sanders
[email protected]
http://radio.craftbrewer.org
Skype "craftbrewer"

lol garlic beer... not sure I'd be a fan. don't be me wrong, I love garlic, but some things I reckon don't belong in beer. I reckon beef hit it on the head in this post

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=521434

Click this to have a look at a commercial garlic beer. Yes I've tried it. No I didn't like it. I have heard of homebrewed garlic beers but I'm not sure of other commercial ones.

"What are you doing!!!"

Just don't rip off a hop leaf to use to wipe yourself. A hop will raise some nasty welts/hives on your arms.....I don't want to think what it would do to more delicate areas. ;)

I'll take 20kgs of all 3. Make a smash from the 3 varieties and see what hop they approximate at.

Hmmmm???? Works out at $1125 for 60kgs of hops. Break that down to 666 x 90gr baggies. Costs $1.69 per 90gr baggie, oh say 25c for vac packing, so total say $1.94. Sell baggies for $4.50 per bag at 166.40% profit making you a tidy $1872.00. Enough to keep you brewing happily ever after. Can you see why someone would do it, now? ;) At that profit margin you would be stupid not to look at it.

Bugger it

Might go and buy a 20 kg bag. Might even get a 20kg bag of each

Like the great hop buy a few years ago when I got everyone super cheap hops its looks like its on again, so who is up to try this if I get the bags and split them. They certainly are cheap enough.

I guess I have to give my name thou

Graham L Sanders
[email protected]
http://radio.craftbrewer.org
Skype "craftbrewer"

Graham, if your serious start a thread in the "Bulk Buy" section. It will make it easier for people to find the thread and you will get more takers that way.

Andrew

I am waiting on them for shipping costs, which wont be much.

I plan to run this the same way I did a few years ago. Cost only. So I will have final costs before ordering. I recon well under $10.00 a kilo.

Craftbrewer

Graham, if your serious start a thread in the "Bulk Buy" section. It will make it easier for people to find the thread and you will get more takers that way.

Andrew

I will mate, BUT first just getting a feel out there if its worthwhile.

Craftbrewer

I'll take 20kgs of all 3. Make a smash from the 3 varieties and see what hop they approximate at.

Hmmmm???? Works out at $1125 for 60kgs of hops. Break that down to 666 x 90gr baggies. Costs $1.69 per 90gr baggie, oh say 25c for vac packing, so total say $1.94. Sell baggies for $4.50 per bag at 166.40% profit making you a tidy $1872.00. Enough to keep you brewing happily ever after. Can you see why someone would do it, now? ;) At that profit margin you would be stupid not to look at it.

I'm working it out at closer to $450 for 60kg of hops... So your profit margin would be much better. I'd be up for maybe a couple kilos of each if a bulk buy is on.

I'm working it out at closer to $450 for 60kg of hops... So your profit margin would be much better. I'd be up for maybe a couple kilos of each if a bulk buy is on.

More like $382. Yeah I was getting ahead of myself there. :rolleyes:

And take the exchange rate into account, and you're looking at $450 or so, excluding delivery ;)

As I said brewers, still waiting on postage charges etc. BUT this will certainly work out at less than $10.00 a kilo to your front door after splitting (back of envelope stuff).

Craftbrewer

Wonder if anyone bagging the idea of Chinese hops earlier will be jumping on this now they know they're cheap? :ph34r:

Think I'll sit this out. Otherwise I'll feel like a hypocrite! Plus I'm still fearful after all the poo-talk earlier!

Edit - Spelling. Gotta type slo....wer...

Wonder if anyone bagging the idea of Chinese hops earlier will be jumping on this now they know they're cheap? :ph34r:

Think I'll sit this out. Otherwise I'll feel like a hypocrite! Plus I'm still fearfull after all the poo-talk earlier!

The boil should kill any nasties...oh, and just to be on the safe side, probably not a good idea to "no-chill" :ph34r: LOL

I'll get a couple of kg

Latest posts

Back