Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as this seems a thread where it is ok to pesonally attack anyone who dares disagree with the current hop buy i thought i would put my opinion and see if mr townsville and his loyal followers can "'bury" me too(hopefully with better answers than, go away troll, look at your post count before having an opinion,you must be pissed or mind your own business)

firstly to all those people who say look where your shirt or tv come from to justify this buy i want to ask you did you buy your shirt/tv etc from a retailer in AUSTRALIA who employes people in AUSTRALIA who spend their wages in another retailer in AUSTRALIA and on it goes (i think there is a pattern forming there) OR did you buy it DIRECT from the overseas manufacturer after asking all your neighbours " hey who wants a cheap tv with no warranty"?? i also hope that none of you people have a family member who works in ANY retail shop selling anything(hardware,food,clothing,car parts,etc,etc)

secondly doesnt anyone think it is strange with the current world hop shortage that this company has a fresh supply of two of the most prized hops in the world in cascade and saaz AND they are prepared to basically give them away (compared to what they should be worth to a brewery if they are good quality and what the label says they are) to australian home brewers? has anyone involved in this heard the saying if it sounds too good to be true......

thirdly surely this buy is way bigger than what is meant to be ADVERTISED through this forum and as such is seriously damaging the retailers that SPONSOR this forum it would seem that these sponsors are not actually very valuable to the existance of this forum if this blatent attempt to hurt them is allowed to continue?

finally i suppose if all the above sponsors close or havent got the money to be a sponsor there will always be mr townsville ready to save the masses and the lone sponsors slogan might be TOWNSVILLE HOMEBREW "cheap and nasty brewing supplies no guarantee,no commitment,only available when i need my massive ego stroked" :icon_chickcheers:
I was listening to an old episode of a Craftbrewer Radio podcast the other night and Graham was talking about his usual Tasmanian Hop supplier not willing to accept his yearly order or even honour his current backorder. The reason.... the grower had sold out lock stock and barrel to an overseas brewing company (Indonesian I think it was). What do you think the Hop Growers motivation was? Money for himself and his family maybe!!!

I've recently spent approximately $269 on kegs & $269 on a march pump with one of the sponsers (great service too) and will be spending more again in the future, I'm sure many here support them as well so they're doing okay. I also outlaid around the same amount on the Perlick Taps Bulk Buy (a Bulk Buy of considerable value itself when you add up the figures) yet I notice that this hasn't been critised for not being good for local business operators!

The way the world operates now is completely different than 5, 10, 15 years ago. Banks don't want you in their premises to do your banking and charge you more for this apparently great privalge. I myself come across very few walk in businesses that give good service or helpful advice, I discovered the oposite applied with on-line shopping on the internet. Place an order online for the same goods the local bussiness owner wants you to wait a week for and two days later it's on the doorstep. Every electronic gadget you enquire about in a normal shop has the salesperson more excited about selling you extended f*cking warranty than giving advise about the best quality item to buy for the budget.

I also don't believe importing 1 or 2 tonne of hops into Australia is seriously going to be noticed by the world hop industry.

How about everyone stops brewing beer at home because each beer we produce puts a brewery worker, truckdriver or hotel persons employment at jepordy.

Viva the customer, get the best deal for yourself everytime you can. I don't begrudge anyone making a profit, but from now on with my money they have to earn it.

And yes Graham Sanders is the bigest F*cking egotistical brewer on the web but the thing is he's the one who shouts it out the loudest about 200 times an episode on his show.

Go Graham!!!
Shout

wow big response
firstly to all those that went on a rant about "buy australian" that is NOT what i said
i DID say buy FROM australian shops that pay people in australia who then spend this money IN another shop IN australia like the supermarket hardware store etc I DID NOT SAY BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE PRODUCTS cant make this point any clearer but if you want to stick to answering a point that was never made then have fun and YES i do use overseas brewing products BUT they are all bought from an australian retailer that pays the wages of the people working in their shop who then spend the majority of that money in australia so it goes around the australian economy the way this buy is being done with no australian retailer involved the money goes directly to a foriegn economy

secondly to the people who told me to get into the real world etc i am an australian PRIMARY PROCUCER (farmer) if any one is in the real world it is australian farmers competing directly against HEAVILY SUBSIDISED farmers in most other parts of the world while australian farmers get zero help from anyone try that for REAL WORLD!!

thirdly to the people who say anyone who questions this buy is racist that IS VERY OFFENSIVE and you can piss off right now unless you can show me where my post is RACIST (be careful to READ the repeated point at the top of this post before making yourself look foolish)

Oh where oh where do i start with this dribble

Just get the napkin and wipe his face, oh cant, never seen shit come out of the face that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my many sayings "Never argue with idiots, they only bring the argument down to their level and beat you with experience". BUT for you I'll make an exception.

what a lot of emotional twaddle. Wake up to real world of globalisation. Just as China is taking out gas at dirt cheap prices, whats wrong with getting something back. The days of the corner shop, servicing the local community is gone for the moment. Its a global world.

And business needs to get used to it too. Change with the times or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIE YOU ******* DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

excuss me - BUT if you have never known, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A HOP SHORTAGE - oh thats right you dont listen to my radio program. The so called shortage is nothing more than suppliers not sourcing hops where they are grown. ALL I did was "go to the source"

I have been spelling this out for years, BUT then again, idiots dont listen.

Hey my ego is legendary and not to be messed with. I'll say this again to those who may not grasp a very simple concept. I l;earnt a lot from people giving away free information to me. Makes me "The Most Egostatical Brewer On The WWW". I give back to the hobby free of charge, because it will help others

Get this those doubters _ free , oh didnt get it FREE

Yes if there is a hole I'll step in. I for one will help out

now where is that sainthood I should get

Craftbrewer

finally nice agressive abussive rant there townsville that didnt address any of the points made but rather made the same STATEMENTS that you have made to others(bit like a politician)

GLOBALISATION is a much bigger myth than the hop shortage try educating yourself on how overseas industries especially agriculture in USA and EUROPE are heavily subsidised to guarantee they can feed their own people then dump the excess on foriegn countries that are not subsidised (like australia) then get into the real world and compete with that(i dont need to read about it i am directly involved in it) then when australia tries to send UNsubsidised products the other way they are refused entry in case it upsets the precious subsidised local farmers

GLOBALISATION is a MYTH that works in theory NOT in practice so townsville try learning about it before using it as the solution to everything

no hop shortage hey townsville?? so YOU would be right and every hop grower and brewery in the WORLD must be mistaken that they have struggled to get the hops they needed for the last two years never let the facts get in the way of a good story hey townsville??

as for the emotional twaddle bit in case anyone hadnt noticed australian manufacturing is stuffed,australian primary production is rapidly heading that way and not because it is poor but because it must compete against heavily subsidised countries with no support so your assumption that aussie hop production must be unsustainable because they cost more than $10kg is idealistic offensive crap(i am not a hop grower)and retailing is currently one of the biggest employers of australians so lets gradually try to stuff that up too hey townsville and then we can all live happily ever after in a country that is stuffed but at least we can all say we beat the system and stuck it up everyone that tried to rip us off :icon_chickcheers:

I also outlaid around the same amount on the Perlick Taps Bulk Buy (a Bulk Buy of considerable value itself when you add up the figures) yet I notice that this hasn't been critised for not being good for local business operators!
Zachary.

How about everyone stops brewing beer at home because each beer we produce puts a brewery worker, truckdriver or hotel persons employment at jepordy.
Ha! Nice one.

its hard to belive people are tolerating you just for cheap hops
Mate, go listen to his radio show. Just one. Not even the whole thing. You'll understand the guy after a listen. Words on a forum translate to how you want to see it.

secondly to the people who told me to get into the real world etc i am an australian PRIMARY PROCUCER (farmer) if any one is in the real world it is australian farmers competing directly against HEAVILY SUBSIDISED farmers in most other parts of the world while australian farmers get zero help from anyone try that for REAL WORLD!!
Maybe you should start growing hops then hey. And for all the people that donate to appealls to help struglling farmers and their families and to all the people who go out of there way to pay extra for local produce, its great to see its appreciated by farmers like yourself

Mate, go listen to his radio show. Just one. Not even the whole thing. You'll understand the guy after a listen. Words on a forum translate to how you want to see it.

bad enough reading him without listening to him as well :lol:

So you pull out of the BB in order to be free of him and yet you keep looking in here. Drama queen much?

Farmers have been squeezed by the supply chain into accepting prices that are in some cases the same price as has been for the past 20 years. But at the same time the purchasing power of the Australian Dollar has not historically been high so you are getting paid a little less than you were 20 years ago at the same prices at the farm gate.

Purchasing agents at farm gate at prices are buying product around 20 to 30 odd cents per kilogram of produce that the Supply Chain, the duopoly of Supermarkets in Australia, charge upwards of $5 to $6 a kilo for and then says support the local supply chains doing this. I'm actually proud of your stance, so long as you don't complain about being paid nothing for your produce and that you should get more money from the Supply Chain purchasing agents. They know the rules of economics and are squeezing both ends tighter as they know neither the primary producer nor the consumer in Australia has any will to fight and press back. The consumer can fight back with his wallet and purchasing power once he is informed about the markets and how much power he really possesses that he doesn't yet realise to move markets. Primary producers have a tougher time as you are working as individuals against each other and the world, you should form a producers co-operative and hire collectively a sole sellers agent outlet to get you the price you want or move a huge volume of produce away from the Supermarkets and to any other buyers domestic or offshore. With primary producers and consumers together squeezing back against the SuperMarkets the market will find a new balance without the Supermarkets taking the huge lions share of profit away from both the primary produce and the consumer.

Heres a tip though, grow what the market demands and can not get enough of. For example, Australian malt quality barley is absolutely tanking on the international markets. Why? Because Australian primary producers are growing the wrong types of barley that makes malts the world is not wanting nor are they demanding. It will be two or three more cross-bred generations of barley until we can get Aussie grain quality up to the level of protein content, germ quality and lower dextrinous malts that the world brewing market is demanding. There is a ton of high quality, and inexpensive barley on the international markets, subsidy or no subsidy. If you had a superior product the buyers would pay your higher price. Simple rules. If you can supply higher quality at the same price of lower quality grain you can unload as much grain as the purchasers can take up. You can now make more on the margins of the higher volumes.

Now the people on the bulk buy for hops are not buying Graham Sanders, some of the people on the bulk could probably not give a dogs rear end about Graham, they are buying hops pure and simple. If Graham was making a huge profit from the buy like the Supply Chain is doing then yes as a buyer you could rationalise and consider the person you are buying from in addition to the product. But he isn't so you won't be supporting Graham Sanders if you bulk buy, you won't be funding his radio program or be spreading his message. The only thing Graham Sanders will get is his own little ego boost in his own world outside of yours and a smirky smile for stirring up the shit pot for a short while once every few years or so. Lets be honest, six months from now if you bulk buy some hops and are making a beer, your umpteenth with the hops are you going to be thinking about Graham Sanders? Most Likely Not. The only thing this is simply put is an opportunity to try something you have never tried before and perhaps may never readily have the opportunity to try again. If that interests you then you jump on board, if it does not then you don't. But don't let a radio shock jock stir you up into idealism, idealogical feelings, or a need to feel threatened for what you think or do. You should be mature enough to handle that.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

There's another person between the supermarkets and the farmer, both Coles and Woolies operate through a buyer, who also takes a cut- interestingly, they use the same one, I remember once getting a pallet of bananas with 'WW' (woolies of course) crossed out and 'Coles' written below.

You're right Bum. Not one mention about the quality of the hops, not one asking for the hops to be tested for heavy metals, not one commenting that the importation of american hops with kill australian LHBS.

Goes to show that all the anti-chinese hop posts we've seen here is purely racially motivated!!!

I think you will find it is actually posters who receive "kick-backs" for posting negative comments about the buy. If Townsville was buying from the US, the "nay-sayers" would be exactly the same ones who are posting now.

cheers

Darren

But don't let a radio shock jock stir you up into idealism, idealogical feelings, or a need to feel threatened for what you think or do. You should be mature enough to handle that.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Well put Pete, what people have to realise with GS is that he's an old style stirrer, rascal, joker, irreverent and proud of it. I can't believe how many people take him so seriously. He's the type of bloke you could drink with at a bar all night trading insults while rolling around on the floor laughing.

Buying unaustralian hops is unaustralian.

Ettamogah Pilsener

3000 BB Pilsner
1000 White Sugar
25g Superpride
Mauribrew Lager Yeast

The best Australia has to offer :icon_cheers:

(Actually it's not all that bad, just not the beer I want to get stuck with for the rest of my life)

Latest posts

Back