Chinees Hops, Beware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregs

Kevs nude brewing bothers me!
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion within these forums about Chinees hops before, some positive but mostly negative.

I myself haven’t purchased any of these hops although was given a couple of vacuumed packs from a brewer friend. These packs came from his freezer and went straight in to my freezer whilst still frozen.

After reading all the negative comments I was unsure if I would use them, so they sat in the freezer frozen for months until I decided to throw them out.

I was horrified to find one of the packs had puffed up like a pillow from its vacuumed state. :eek:

You could only speculate at what’s going on in there.
hopps_002.jpg

The bag holds pressure.
hopps_007.jpg

Eeeewwww!!! :icon_vomit:

The ones I had (which are now landfill BTW) started to look simular, soft, moist and crumbly, to what you have there Gregs. They were in the freezer but not vac packed. Wonder what would cause something to decompose in a freezer?

Glad mine are gone to the tip now and I didn't give them away to another brewer. Phew!

I guess your just not a very good Brewer Gregs... :ph34r: :p :lol:

Rubbish. The great Federated Illuminati Brewing Society whose names I can't reveal, brew with them all the time and make wonderful beer. They've tested them with their super advanced and very expensive Testometer and absolutely guarantee the quality and freshness. I've even seen the stamped piece of paper with the letterhead but I can't tell you where.

hypothetically, if someone were to get them tested for whatever nasties are in there, what facilities would be required and what would you test for ?

cheers

Rubbish. The great Federated Illuminati Brewing Society whose names I can't reveal, brew with them all the time and make wonderful beer. They've tested them with their super advanced and very expensive Testometer and absolutely guarantee the quality and freshness. I've even seen the stamped piece of paper with the letterhead but I can't tell you where.

I've seen the Stonecutters version of said document.

ahh, 'cough, cough', chinee hops no goode!!

Clearly its because of your lack of brewing skills.

Perhaps said brewer was little pissed and hit blow instead of suck for that bag. :lol:
Seriously though would like to know what would cause this to happen without this turning into another chinese hops are crap thread.

gregs, have you open the bag and had a good long sniff? I dare ya. Write your will first though :lol:

I'll check mine later on, but pretty sure they're all still vac packed fine.

I note your ones are really lacking colour. From memory there were sometimes two types, like a cascade that looked green and a cascade that looked like that. I'm pretty sure I only got the green stuff and that mine are still nicely vac packed.

Mine aren't vac packed and are just in tupperwares in the freezer. Currently drinking a batch of brown ale bittered solely with the Cluster and finished with Centennial. Nothing wrong with it. However if I'd used the Beersmith Chinese Module to make the beer for me I would probably have got botulism and not be making this post. B)

gregs, have you open the bag and had a good long sniff? I dare ya. Write your will first though :lol:

I wasnt game enough to have a whiff Steve, but I think BribieG would be a willing volunteer.

May calm him down a bit, relax and chill him out so he can concentrate on using Beer Smith. :D

:icon_offtopic: Actually Greggs now that I have beersmith - which I bought because I am getting seriously into late hopping, IBUs and all the interlinked hoppy stuff and BS is a useful brain-saver as I use a fairly wide range of hops of all AAs - I had an unrelated problem.
I made a Burton Pale Ale again to a recipe from last year, which had turned out drinkable but badly affected with diacetyl. Current batch is good but strangely cloying and 'meaty' and after three tallies I kept finding myself mumbling incoherently, staggering around and falling into a deep sleep around 8pm. So I ran the figures through BS and presumably had hit a good efficiency because my Burton is at least 6.8% alcohol :p :eek:

hypothetically, if someone were to get them tested for whatever nasties are in there, what facilities would be required and what would you test for ?
cheers

Stupidity & tight arsedness!

Enjoy the quality of that Chinese Pilsener!
Cheers
Gerard

:icon_offtopic: Actually Greggs now that I have beersmith - which I bought because I am getting seriously into late hopping, IBUs and all the interlinked hoppy stuff and BS is a useful brain-saver as I use a fairly wide range of hops of all AAs - I had an unrelated problem.
I made a Burton Pale Ale again to a recipe from last year, which had turned out drinkable but badly affected with diacetyl. Current batch is good but strangely cloying and 'meaty' and after three tallies I kept finding myself mumbling incoherently, staggering around and falling into a deep sleep around 8pm. So I ran the figures through BS and presumably had hit a good efficiency because my Burton is at least 6.8% alcohol :p :eek:

Now that would be a good drink to share around Bribie, Ill be down your way in July visiting some friends on Bribie Island, would I be welcome? I can bring some of my own and we could swap notes. :)

Latest posts

Back