Chimay Red 750ml Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsb

Worth waiting for
Reaction score
Chimay Red 750ml bottles are only $13 at my local bottle shop, so I've managed to get through a few over time. :icon_cheers:

1270.jpg

My question is - is it possible to use these to bottle my HB?
They're nice thick bottles, great size too but come with a cork and have a thick lip around the top that makes them unsuitable for regular bottle caps.
Anyone use them? cheers. sorry if that's a dumb question.

Chimay Red 750ml bottles are only $13 at my local bottle shop, so I've managed to get through a few over time. :icon_cheers:

1270.jpg

My question is - is it possible to use these to bottle my HB?
They're nice thick bottles, great size too but come with a cork and have a thick lip around the top that makes them unsuitable for regular bottle caps.
Anyone use them? cheers. sorry if that's a dumb question.

I don't think you can cap them - but I'll take them off your hands for a few bucks each if you don't want to cork with them (I do).

Also; where's that bottle shop?!

Their are also larger caps that you can get for them but you will also need a different capper I am pretty certain.

Thanks. They're from Steve's Cool Booze in Kingsford. Be warned it's a pretty small store so a bit unreliable in terms of stock.
They've slowly fazed out UK bitters over time from a lineup of over a dozen down to just Newc Brown, shits me when they carry 8 Mexican beers and 3 Chinese beers, so the Chimay eases my pain :D
Bummer about capping them, they are nice bottles. Let me gather a few more and you can have em for free if I can't use them..

you buy a larger capper 'bell' and that interchnages with the normal size bell you have on the capper. then you buy larger caps. done. its the same as cahampaigne/sparkling bottles. you just use the larger size bell. from memoery its like $5 for the bell

Thanks - I'll investigate corks or bell cappers - really should investigate Candi Sugar/making a Belgian as well.

you buy a larger capper 'bell' and that interchnages with the normal size bell you have on the capper. then you buy larger caps. done. its the same as cahampaigne/sparkling bottles. you just use the larger size bell. from memoery its like $5 for the bell

The champagne crown seals? Like the dosage caps they use? The ones that are larger, and thicker than regular crown seals.

I didn't think they worked on the Chimay (or Duvel) bottles, as they have a really rounded top to them. Almost 1cm until you reach a lip on to which the bottom of the crowns can grab. Let me see if I can find some pics and post again.

Chimay thick lip:

chimay_lip.jpg

Champagne/sparkling bottle

6a012876c6c7fb970c0162fefb068f970d_450wi.jpg

I'm not saying it is so, but asking the question. Do the big tirage caps fit on the Chimay bottles considering the design difference?

Something to check if you do use the Chimay bottles...

I had a batch of something good to go into chi may stubbies a while back, cleaned, sanitised, primed, ready to fill...the bottling wand wouldn't fit through the opening in the bottle.

:(

Just check that the bigger bottles have an opening big enough to take whatever you're filling with.

My 2c - tirage caps won't work on Chimay bottles.

Kev

ive got a bottle of chimay at home, and a large bell and caps. experiment time!!!! providing the 375ml bottles are the same lips as 750ml bottles

ive got a bottle of chimay at home, and a large bell and caps. experiment time!!!! providing the 375ml bottles are the same lips as 750ml bottles

330ml bottles are a crown seal, the 750 has a cork like a champagne bottle. unless you've found some stubby size that goes with a cork?

nickR is right the only way to reuse them is to cork them. triage caps dont work as they have a solid rounded lip.
nick if your after a few bottles let me know ive built up a reasonable collection and probably could spare a few.

Back