Chilling the wort up here in the top end!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Looking for more advice! I've had success with a copper immersion chiller in slightly cooler climes. I'm a little concerned that it may not be as effective up here, particularly as the water out of the tap is tepid to say the least. I wonder if a plate chiller might be more effective, if I was to sit it in a bath of ice?

err, I would not sit the plate chiller in a bath of ice. Rather pump the water from the ice bath through the plate chiller. Possible ?

No chill FTW

I have an immersion chiller and still no chill for the ease of it.
I like the idea also of brewing when I want and fermenting the wort when I want.

That aside, the ice bath as a pre chiller idea may work.

CF

When I lived in Darwin I used a 30 plate chiller (first) in line with an immersion chiller (last) which I put in an ice slurry.

I'm having a few concerns re cooling in my apartment. I've just moved in and it's not remotely cool! I do have air-conditioning so I guess that might be an option for overnight cooling. What's anyone's thoughts on sticking the wort in a fermenting fridge to cool down?

welly2 said:
I'm having a few concerns re cooling in my apartment. I've just moved in and it's not remotely cool! I do have air-conditioning so I guess that might be an option for overnight cooling. What's anyone's thoughts on sticking the wort in a fermenting fridge to cool down?
Generally thats what you do I thought.

welly2 said:
Yes I've done this before too, I think if you stash it in the fridge and come back about 24 hours later it might be about pitching temp.

It takes about as long to stuff around and get the chiller done, unless someone is super organised like the people that hang their ic in the boil for sterilising and basically ready to chill at flameout, most I've seen though would spend 15-30 minutes getting it into a fermenter. Especially with plate chillers.
So, in comparison I think this method actually brings the wort below the hop isomerisation temp a lot quicker. I think Florian used a corny to NC and dunked that in the pool so he might be able to tell if that chills even quicker.
I saw a video ages ago of someone in canada brewing that basically take the kettle outside and sit it in the snow. Job done.

Up north there isn't cold water but there IS a LOT of it so adapt. I used to live upstairs and this was straight off my balcony (note the rope) so easy.

That is brilliant! I do have a pool in my apartment block and it doesn't appear to be used much. I may do exactly this. I'll see how long I can get away with it before someone complains for anyway. And then offer them a few beers to keep the peace.

Back