Chilling Before Transferring To Lagering Vessel Or Not?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florian

Back On Track
Reaction score
As the title says: I'm just giving my czech pilsener a diacetyl rest at 18 degrees. Should I bring the temp down to 1 degrees while still in primary or should I transfer warm and then crash chill? I usually would think to chill first as this already lets drop out a bit of yeast which is then not hanging around in my lagering vessel. I then would only have the results from gelantine and polyclar on the bottom when lagering.
But since I intend to harvest the yeast cake, I am not too sure. Will the drop down to almost freezing temperature harm my yeast? Am I better of transferring warm so I can harvest the yeast before the cold shock? And should I store the harvested yeast outside the lagering fridge?

Appreciate your help,
Florian

I reckon the colder it is means less chance of bugs setting in, hence a good time to transfer. Harvest the cake after crashing then do whatever you do after that in secondary. Surely you cant "cold shock" harvested yeast? Did you freeze it?

I used to chill again before transfer but then one batch I didn't have the time so I transferred 'warm'. No difference. So now I don't bother chilling again. FWIW.

I think I will transfer cold, just to be on the safe side. Seeing most people store their yeast in their fridges (which I assume they also use for cc) this shouldn't be an issue for the yeast. Plus, the yeast obviously is still able to do it's job after cc at very low temps, otherwise our bottles wouldn't carb up.
Should've thought this through before posting I guess, it all makes sense now. Was just worried about my good yeast which I have already allocated to do a few more jobs for me.

I would also transfer cold - :icon_offtopic: - but in saying that, now when I filter my lagers it helps as the cold beer forms condensation on the transfer keg - for a quick visual as to how full the receiving keg is.

In your case you are adding gelatine, etc - a crash chill after transfer would be just as effective.

Latest posts

Back