Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross......yeah i know mate. i just like getting things write...... its a challenge i like to tackle.

I dont use acids ect any more.....just a 52 deg protein rest for 15 min.

shiny clear beer without filtering too :) I just took this pic. cold glass from the fridge, beer at about 3 or 4 deg.

all i did was rack it to secondary for a week and dump it in the keg. put it in the fridge and let it carb for a week. Bobs your uncle.

The protein rest seems to make the break bigger and heavier. settles out wonderfully. the US-05 is great flocker too.

cheers

bull_ring_pale_ale__549_x_824_.jpg

I suffer from a slight chill haze problem, nothing like what you have Rob. Tried a lot of things to correct it but have now resorted to just using gelatine or polyclar.

Here is a great article from brew rats that may give you some tips on correcting the problem.

Woooow good article there Jye.....

Cheers
JSB

Ross......yeah i know mate. i just like getting things write...... its a challenge i like to tackle.

I dont use acids ect any more.....just a 52 deg protein rest for 15 min.

shiny clear beer without filtering too :) I just took this pic. cold glass from the fridge, beer at about 3 or 4 deg.

all i did was rack it to secondary for a week and dump it in the keg. put it in the fridge and let it carb for a week. Bobs your uncle.

The protein rest seems to make the break bigger and heavier. settles out wonderfully. the US-05 is great flocker too.

cheers

I have found exactly the same.
I had on going chill haze problems except for Aussie pale ale styles which contained larger percentages of unmalted wheat and flaked barley, which I always did a 50-52C rest for and the resulting beer was always really clear.
I now always do it
I know many will say the rest is not needed with todays modified malts and I dont know enough to dissagree, I just go with what seems to work.

Cheers
BB

I have found exactly the same.
I had on going chill haze problems except for Aussie pale ale styles which contained larger percentages of unmalted wheat and flaked barley, which I always did a 50-52C rest for and the resulting beer was always really clear.
I now always do it
I know many will say the rest is not needed with todays modified malts and I dont know enough to dissagree, I just go with what seems to work.

Cheers
BB

I do the same <_< a 52c rest [over 60 mashes with this rest] , but did not do it for 3 mashers, but as of yesterday i have gone back to what works for me.
Was not going to post that I still do a 52c rest as I was sure I would be "flamed" for doing so with modified malts.

Edit: typos

So Bindi, Tony and Boiler Boy. Do you notice any loss of body or head retention using a protien rest with todays modified malts? I gather not if you keep doing it.

I'm keen to try this as I always seem to get some level of chill haze in my brews.

If I do a 52*C rest with 1.8L/Kg how much boiling water do I need to get up to mash temps. I'm a little restricted with my mas tun volumes

get some beer brewing software like promash.

It has a mash designer/scheduler

Only grain I've ever had a haze problem with is MO. I tried protien rests, but unfortunately to no avail. Since using polyclar, never had an issue.

I'll be buggered if I'm going to do protein rests on every brew, when I can floc the haze out (if required) with 5gms of polyclar whilst cold conditioning :)

Not knocking the protien resters, whatever rocks your boat B)

Cheers Ross

when I can floc the haze out (if required) with 5gms of polyclar whilst cold conditioning :)

Not knocking the protien resters, whatever rocks your boat

Cheers Ross

5gms of polyclar, so it's only 5g? :huh: I have used it twice and it works [thanks for the free sample :) ] but I used 10g.
I overloaded the boat. :lol:

I have some Poly clar got from CB

Whats the best way to use it the fermentation is finished in another two days ??

Pumpy :unsure:

I have some Poly clar got from CB

Whats the best way to use it the fermentation is finished in another two days ??
Pumpy :unsure:

Pumpy,

You need to add to the beer when it's as cold as possible, I chill beer to 0c. For maximum viability rehydrate the polyclar in some water (half cup - I use boiled water as it has less oxygen) for 60 mins & keep it agitated (as in using a stirplate or swirling in a bottle). Then simply pour over surface of the beer & allow to settle through the beer overnight. If you have transfered your beer to say a keg & are in tending to filter, the polyclar can be stirred in & only needs 10 minutes contact time.

Cheers Ross

I have started using Gelatine in the keg and now my beers are as bright as can be!

I almost always used to have haze problems, regardless of what brand of malt I used. The problem seems to have gotten a lot better since using a 5.2 buffer in my mash and a little extra in the sparge water.

That said, I have also taken to using Polyclar in the secondary two days before kegging, just chuck the secondary into the CC'ing fridge, then pour 1 cup of boiled water with polyclar mixed.

Last few beers have been brilliant with no apparent flavour loss.

Ok, Bright As any flavours loss for a bright beer?
Well I had drunk about 2 litres of this Amber Ale prior to adding the Gelatine. There was a big diff. Hard to say if there was any flavour loss though. It does taste a lot cleaner (maybe just mind over matter) and if u could taste the yeast or the haze material before its gone now. I did a side by side with JS Amber and even though I could taste that they were 2 different beers they both tasted good with there own individual profiles.
I will be using 5.2 in the mash and Gelatine in the keg as standard practice from now.
Dare I say it, its just like the NC method (and dont ask "whats NC") you wont know till u give it a go!

Steve

Does gelatine do the same as Polycar? ie, can I add it to cold conditioning beer for 2 days prior to kegging?

C&B
TDA

Does gelatine do the same as Polycar? ie, can I add it to cold conditioning beer for 2 days prior to kegging?

C&B
TDA

....and does gelatine only work on chill hazed beers (as Polyclar does)...or on any beer?

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back