Cherry Bock Vs Black Forrest Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Allrighty, got a craving for something dark, high ABV and cherry flavoured!! The diary down the road from me has started stocking cherry coke which got me thinking...

Now im tossing up between these two, for a 10 litre batch how much cherrys should I use? Im thinking 2kg or is that way too much?

<b>Cherry Doppelbock</b>

2.5kg Kolsch
1.5kg Munich
120g Carafa

Or this

<b>Black Forrest Porter</b>

3kg Golden Promise
0.5kg Munich
250g Choc
200g Dark Crystal
150g CaraMunich II
50g Carafa

Any thoughts, hints or suggestions? Cheers

Black forest porter FTW!!!

I think Jamil has a recipe for a stout in his BCP (did i send you this recipe) you could easily adapt your grain bill to suit his choc and cherry additions.

Cheers SJ

I dont think you did send it to me mate?

Choc additions? So Jamil actually adds chocolate as well as cherrys? Hmmm, I was thinking of relying on the choc/carafa malts for the chocolate flavour...

Do you know off the top of your head how much cherrys he added?

OG: 1.071 (1.075 with fruit)
FG: 1018
IBU: 38
Colour: 39 SRM
Boil 60 mins
Pre boil gravity: 1.60
Mash single infustion @ 67degC

Grains:
6.3kg English Pale Malt
340g Black Roast ed Barley
284g Crystal 40
284g Crystal 80
227g Choclate Malt

Hops:
EKG 5%AA, 60mins 60g (38.4 IBU)

Extras:
227g Low Fat unsweetend Chocolate powder, 0min addition
2.7kg Cherry puree (secondary)

Yeast: 1028 London Ale

Ferment @19C

As primary fermentation slows, rack into a secondary onto the cherry, bringing as much 'chocolate sludge' from the primary as you can, as this helps enhance the cholocate flavour.

Cheers SJ

Mean! Cheers SJ, is that for 20 litres (or 5 gallons?)

Allrighty, got a craving for something dark, high ABV and cherry flavoured!! The diary down the road from me has started stocking cherry coke which got me thinking...

Totally off topic but your mention of 'dairy' reminded me of when I was a teacher and we were running sex-ed classes. The video was a kiwi production and mentioned that you could get condoms at the dairy. Imagine the look on country aussie kids faces trying to work out why you would need condoms in a dairy. Mooo :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that recipe is for 5 gallons (or 19ltrs). DO IT!!! (then send me a bottle!!! ;) )

Cheers SJ

Totally off topic but your mention of 'dairy' reminded me of when I was a teacher and we were running sex-ed classes. The video was a kiwi production and mentioned that you could get condoms at the dairy. Imagine the look on country aussie kids faces trying to work out why you would need condoms in a dairy. Mooo :lol:

:lol: lolz, sorry I forgot 'milk bar' is more appropriate ;)

SJ, definately going to do it, but you might have to swing past my place to pick up your bottle! haha

Might be time to convince the boss i need to visit our Auckland office!!

Good luck with the brew and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers SJ

LOL, knowing me, I'll probably arrive with a wicked hang-over!!!

Cheers SJ

My Cherry Ale was much like your 2nd recipe - except I added a little rye malt and a little wheat malt for body.

I chose a medium attenuating yeast to lower the ABV% - it was about 4%, but with, say a nottingham or other high attenuator, you'll up the ABV%. But mash at least some of it high or you lose the body. I found that with the Notts - I got some serious rocket fuel, but thinner beer. Not what I like with Dark Ales, though. So I wanted a quaffing, full bodied Ale.

I also added a Jar of morello cherries (from Aldi) post boil and some good honey. Living in NZ, you should have access to some nice Rata or Manuka honey (mmm... monteith's spiced summer ale), so it'll do a great job (and add more fermentables). Everyone who tried the dark ale commented on how smooth it was, and just that hint of honey rounded out the choc malt's bitterness. No discernable obvious cherry flavour, but really nice.

Sorry to hijack your recipe, just sharing what worked with me.

Black forest porter FTW!!!

I think Jamil has a recipe for a stout in his BCP (did i send you this recipe) you could easily adapt your grain bill to suit his choc and cherry additions.

Cheers SJ

I've wanted to try this recipe for a while. Lovvve black forrest cake.

what yeast would suit this???

Im ordering some gear to do this!

_________

Just found 1028 London Ale :)

Wisey, tbh im more inclined to use something clean like US-05 or a lager yeast, I really want the chocolate and fruit notes to shine through and dont want them muddled with english esters.. Not sure how right I am tho

Latest posts

Back