8wired "The Big Smoke" clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Howdy brewers. Im wanting to brew this but the recipe Ive found on Beer and brewer is slightly different to what they say is in the beer on 8wireds website.

Here is the recipe from beer and brewer. (Which is supposed to be from Soren Eriksen the brewer himself)

ALL GRAIN
Expected Brew Figures OG: 1.064, FG: 1.016, IBU: 40, ABV: 6.3%, Vol: 23 litres

INGREDIENTS
3kg Weyermann Beech Smoked Malt
2kg Pale Malt
500g Munich Malt
250g Caramalt
250g Carafa Special T1
150g Black Malt
250g Brown Malt
20g Pacific Jade Hops
50g Willamette Hops
Wyeast 1272

METHOD
1.Mash in at 67°C.
2. Boil for 90 minutes. Add all of the Pacific Jade hops at 90 minutes.
3. Add 25g of Willamette hops at 10 minutes and another 25g at 0 minutes.
4. Add the yeast and ferment at around 20°C.
5.When complete, bottle and age as normal.

However the 8wired wesbite says this under ingredients

Ingredients: Bamberg smoked malt, Gladfield pale malt, munich malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt, black malt. NZ Pacific Jade, Southern Cross and Willamette hops.

And this under malts

Bamberg Smoked, Gladfield Pale, Crystal, Carafa Special, Black Patent and variables

So the beer and brewer recipe seems to have swapped brown malt for the chocolate. Im not sure if I should stick with the brown or sub it for chocolate instead. I was thinking that as its a porter the chocolate would be more suited, but is it too much perhaps with the black and the carafa in there? Also Im using carafa 3 instead of carafa 1 as thats all I had.

Your suggestions chaps?

Truman said:
Howdy brewers. Im wanting to brew this but the recipe Ive found on Beer and brewer is slightly different to what they say is in the beer on 8wireds website.

Here is the recipe from beer and brewer. (Which is supposed to be from Soren Eriksen the brewer himself)

ALL GRAIN
Expected Brew Figures OG: 1.064, FG: 1.016, IBU: 40, ABV: 6.3%, Vol: 23 litres

INGREDIENTS
3kg Weyermann Beech Smoked Malt
2kg Pale Malt
500g Munich Malt
250g Caramalt
250g Carafa Special T1
150g Black Malt
250g Brown Malt
20g Pacific Jade Hops
50g Willamette Hops
Wyeast 1272

METHOD
1.Mash in at 67°C.
2. Boil for 90 minutes. Add all of the Pacific Jade hops at 90 minutes.
3. Add 25g of Willamette hops at 10 minutes and another 25g at 0 minutes.
4. Add the yeast and ferment at around 20°C.
5.When complete, bottle and age as normal.

However the 8wired wesbite says this under ingredients

Ingredients: Bamberg smoked malt, Gladfield pale malt, munich malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt, black malt. NZ Pacific Jade, Southern Cross and Willamette hops.

And this under malts

Bamberg Smoked, Gladfield Pale, Crystal, Carafa Special, Black Patent and variables

So the beer and brewer recipe seems to have swapped brown malt for the chocolate. Im not sure if I should stick with the brown or sub it for chocolate instead. I was thinking that as its a porter the chocolate would be more suited, but is it too much perhaps with the black and the carafa in there? Also Im using carafa 3 instead of carafa 1 as thats all I had.

Your suggestions chaps?
Go with either, Truman. Both are fairly similar and I'd doubt that you'd taste the difference in side by side beers, particularly at <5%. My personal preference is Brown Malt in Porters - it is always in the ones I brew.

Cheers mate, will stick with the brown then. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back