Doppelbock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tanukibrewer said:
Gday Manticle/Tallie
How are your lastest Dopplebocks going?Have read the book Bock Classic Beer Styles by Darryl Richman and was thrown by the decotion methods and temp steps in the mashing as I usually just do single infusion.So thanks Tallie for the heads up on the use of Melanoidin malt instead of decotion.
Having an Octoberfest party again this year,will be serving a Kolsch and a Octoberfest/Marzen and now I am planing to do a Dopplebock.Cheers
attachicon.gif
Marzen.jpg
I haven't brewed another one since, so haven't been able to test my "first-runnings only" hypothesis. Based on my last batch, I definitely wouldn't say Melanoidin malt is a complete replacement for a decoction mash (not in that quantity anyway), which is why I want to try it in combination with only using the first runnings from the mash.

Having said that, I did taste the beer last week, and it is very good! Nice and smooth, with good malt character and no cloying sweetness. It just doesn't have the very strong and complex malt character that Salvator has, and style wise, still fits better as a Traditional Bock. I've got a bottle of Weihenstephaner Korbinian in the fridge that I might do a side-by-side with, as from memory, it is closer to that beer.

Cheers,
tallie

Hi Tanuki,

I will be knocking another one out this winter but haven't done one since.

Yes I have read that book and beers like this get treated to stepped temps and decoctions (although I was doing that before I read the book).

Latest posts

Back