Cheapest adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wort is nice and clear - obviously good conversion - I chucked in some extra odds and packet ends that needed using up, and ended up using 500g of potato flour, preboil gravity is 1.055 so I'll bottle this lot, if I keg it I'll end up paralytic after a few pints.

RB, I know what you mean about "beer". For most BBQ goers in the past I've lovingly prepared a Vienna Lager or something and after a few comments such as "oh, that's different", someone arrives with a slab of VB and gets mobbed.
Nowadays they just get beer - more sugaz the better. And who in their right mind would waste more than 12g of Superpride or Dr Rudi in "beer".

Heh "beer" is the christmas keg for the family.

image.jpeg

I noted in the background some cheap adjunct Judanero has been using in his brew.
( from Judanero's sale post )

Hey it just struck me that the middle footballer in my icon is the spitting image of Daniel Craig

WTF is Daniel Craig????
Can't be much chop if he's never played for Queensland or the Broncos. ;)

PS --- We need those old AHB emoticons back ASAP. The current sad & ragtag lot leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
Bond. James Bond.

One thing that has me intrigued, with using starch as adjunct I ended up with a higher OG than predicted by BrewMate and to get to that OG I had to crank up the efficiency "spin box" from 74% to 78%
So I'd assume that using grains there are losses which is why you don't get 100%, whereas with stuff like starch the whole thing gets converted so skews the results a bit.

My next experiment will be to whack in half a kilo of Coles wheaten "cornflour" into something like a Whale Ale and see how that goes mashed high for body rather than alco.

My next experiment will be to whack in half a kilo of Coles wheaten "cornflour" into something like a Whale Ale and see how that goes mashed high for body rather than alco.

I'd love to see the results of this.

I have researched using plain wheat flour, to see if a wit could be made with it, but struggled to find out anything, let alone a consensus.

^^ Fwiw, I've used some raw wheat in a beer. Once. But only because I discovered I don't really like wheat.
I had something like 150g in a ~23L batch (SWPA clone, so mainly ale malt plus 20% wheat malt I'm guessing).
The raw wheat seems to bring out a really distinct & "raw" wheaty flavour.
In hindsight, would probably work very effectively in a Wit.
Maybe PM RelaxedBrewer if this is what you're interested in. He's done it a few times and gave me the idea to try it. Damn him!

Edit: so given how strong the flavour impact seemed to be (with only 150g in ~5kg), raw wheat flour could be said to be one of the cheapest adjuncts in terms of flavour impact.
If that was a flavour you wanted...

Oats FTW.
Because they're not wheat [emoji57]

Last edited:
Bond. James Bond.

One thing that has me intrigued, with using starch as adjunct I ended up with a higher OG than predicted by BrewMate and to get to that OG I had to crank up the efficiency "spin box" from 74% to 78%
So I'd assume that using grains there are losses which is why you don't get 100%, whereas with stuff like starch the whole thing gets converted so skews the results a bit.

What you have is starch, when we look at flour it also contains lots of cellulose, minerals, silicates, vitamins...
By buying refined starch you are paying someone to separate the constituents and just sell you the starch part, remember that starch is just long chains of glucose, should give nearly 100% yield.
Mark

I'd love to see the results of this.

I have researched using plain wheat flour, to see if a wit could be made with it, but struggled to find out anything, let alone a consensus.

Years ago someone on the forum who had worked at the old Coopers Leabrook brewery stated that brewers flour was used in the ales.

I've only used flour once and had the nearest thing to a set sparge that you can get with BIAB.

I’ve used a tablespoon of plain flour in a Wheatie with good results haze-wise.
Best mixed with a little water (to avoid lumps) before adding at 10 minutes.

Have also used 22% raw wheat\22% malted wheat in Wits but prefer a flaked wheat\malted wheat combo these days.
The raw wheat does give a pronounced “raw” wheat flavour as technobabble says & probably not to everybody’s taste but it does give a bit of Wallonian-style authenticity to the beer IMHO?

Some interesting information on starch
The starches produced by the major crops vary considerably, with the starch grains ranging in size from around 5 μm to >100 μm, with rice starch having the finest and potato the largest.
Wheat is unusual because of its bi-modal particle size

Thanks to the SDSY it's finished fermenting this morning (Pitched Saturday) and I'm intending to bottle it all on Saturday as I'll be heading up to Bribie middle of August and it will be my travelling beer. Will report.
As mentioned, efficiency was a few points higher, wort tasted like stout and was very clear.

Any news on potato starch? Effect on flavour, SG?
I haven't posted till now as I entered the stout as a sweet stout in the NSW comp and didn't want to telegraph my punches. haha.

It turned out quite sweet - in the sense that no way was it a dry stout, so I entered accordingly. Results were good - low to mid 30s, could have benefited from more complex malt and signs of maybe yeast stress - I'd guess the potato starch did dilute the malt somewhat and broke down in the mash to render sweeter complex sugars? Actually one of my more enjoyable stouts. I left a few bottles with a lady in Brisbane and she got totally legless on it and left messages on my voicemail that she probably regrets but I deleted them, being a gentleman.

Hey I just spotted, one of the judges was MHB and he did mention slight "vegetal" note.
Well spotted... haha

Back