Cheap Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
Anyone wanting to get into kegging should have a look at the Brewers Discount website, they have some real bargains at the moment.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/brewersdiscount...ctCat15956.ctlg

They have cleaned, pressure tested 5gallon kegs with new gaskets for only US$16 each. You can get 4 in one box sent to Australia and postage is about another US$60. This works out to about AUS$45 each delivered to your door!. I've bought from these guys before and their kegs come in good condition.

You could also order a picnic tap for only US$1.79

What's interesting is if you bought 4 brand new kegs from these guys, it would cost about AUS$100 each delivered, which is almost as much as some HBS in Australia charge for 2nd hand kegs.

Cheers
MAH

Certainly are some good deals there....

What is the "standard" for kegs over here in Aus? Ball or Pin? What is the difference? Are there any advantages or disadvantsges?

Dreamboat

Does sound like a good deal.

The predominant standard here Dreamboat is ball locks. Basically the difference is the fitting. In my travels I've seen more ball lock fittings too than pin-lock, potentially making it easier and cheaper to get replacements if required in the future.

Beers,
Doc

MAH said:
They have cleaned, pressure tested 5gallon kegs with new gaskets for only US$16 each. You can get 4 in one box sent to Australia and postage is about another US$60. This works out to about AUS$45 each delivered to your door!.
Shite that is cheap :blink: !!!

I wouldn't mind a box of 4 kegs - who cares if they aren't properly sealed - its easy to refit the keg - found a good article on keg rebuilds...here.

I assume that the postage rate is for surface only?
Cheers,
TL

H Trough Lolly

The US$60 is roughly what I've paid to have 4 kegs sent to Adelaide via surface mail. It takes ages but is worth it.

The kegs should seal no problem, Brewers Discount are pretty reliable. But a re-seal kit is dirt cheap from them and with this deal I think you would only need new poppets because it comes with new gaskets.

I've bought the re-built kegs from them in the past and was very pleased with what I got. They cost about AUS$55 each delivered and were in top condition.

If only you could use US CO2 bottles, then people would be flooding these guys with orders.

Cheers
MAH

Thanks for the info and personal experience MAH,
Too true about the gas bottles - now...where is that fire extinguisher!!
Cheers,
TL

I have bought the 3 gallon kegs off them twice , also taps and keg parts , surface mail takes 3 months but is cheap.

Taps etc arrive in a week or two and postage is only $8.00

The 3 gallon kegs are so nice , tap fits straight on the keg

I have never payed and duty , customs

Well get kegs by sea , other stuff by mail

what is the deal with their gas bottles? our regs wont fit? cant post them? cant refill them here?

Ben, I've emailed them about the dial thermometers and they are only the 1" face ones not the nice ones you see on people kegs and vessels. Only in F and no thread on the back. Sorry to say, they caught my eye too.

Cheers, Justin

bummer

i will leave them out then, the QD look cheap, as do the posts for kegs (party Kegs) the regulators also look cheap!

I have just put my second order in through them. They have told me that they can now only send 3 kegs in a box as 4 is over the limit for USPS :huh: I couldn't find anything on the USPS website to back that up, and he doesn't like answering Q's!

Ben, no go on the regulators. Yes they are cheap but they wont fit our bottles here apparently (I haven't tried it but I read a post from someone who did).

I agree with you Hoops, email comunication is pretty dodgey and slow but I usually get a reply within a day or two. Best to just place your order, he doesn't shaft you with postage and only charges what it costs. He also uses the cheapest shipping option available in my experience (ie. Airmail or Global Priority, whichevers cheapest or if the items heavier then Global Package options). He's been good to me on shipping and will be good to me again today when I order some more stuff. :D

Cheers, justin

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
They have told me that they can now only send 3 kegs in a box as 4 is over the limit for USPS :huh: I couldn't find anything on the USPS website to back that up, and he doesn't like answering Q's!
I had an email chat with Terry at Brewers Discount - he said:

We were able to slide a few boxes through US Mail with four in one box but new management at that post office limits the number to two in one box. Normally we ship within a day of the order but it takes four to six weeks surface freight to get them to you at this cost.

5 gallon kegs two per box $42.50

3 gallon kegs 3 per box $47.60

I have also asked him if he would consider extending his "September Special" prices due to the high degree of interest over this side of the pond...Will advise if he wants to play.

Regarding GST and Excise - bulk orders can apparently hit you whereas small orders don't. Have a read here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4368

Cheers,
TL

Well these new rules about the number of kegs must have only come in recently. Last year I had an order that 4 x 5gallon kegs no problems. The guy told me that was the most you put in one box because Australia Post wouldn't allow anything bigger/heavier. An only about 8 weeks ago I ordered some of the 3 gallon kegs and he put 4 in one box (still waiting for them to arrive :( ).

I've found the best and easiest way to deal with Brewers Discount is to give them a call. The guy is really friendly and helpful when you take the time to call. He has always answered loads of questions for me on the phone, and told me I don't need certain items and helped me save money on my orders.

Cheers
MAH

Back