Cheap Hops Full Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
recharge said:
I sent the following order to [email protected] and [email protected] both adresses came back undeliverable.

Hallertau x 1kg
Tettnang x 1kg
Nugget x 1kg
Pride plus x 1kg

Can i order from here?

Cheers

Richard

Newbie order, never bought more than teabags before now but affordable enough to experiment and learn with.

Hope i can get some
[post="109576"][/post]​
OK i have resent my order to [email protected], seems too have gone through this time.
:beer:

Richard

Ross said:
The wholesaler's inform me that the interest from brewery's & hbs has been less than enthusiastic, preferring to pay the premium for European origin - I'm guessing there's good reason?

Anyway, fingers crossed they are good, because I've ordered some :)

cheers Ross...
[post="109871"][/post]​

Had the same concerns myself Ross. :unsure: Have ordered anyway. Could be a case of the HBS preferring to sell plugs and pellets because of their need for reduced space and longer shelf/fridge life. :ph34r: Could be wrong.

Warren -

Think you have hit the nail on the head warren, not many HBS would be bothered breaking up and repackaging a 1 kilo hop plug. And as far as the european hops go, last order of Czech Saaz I used were CRAP, very grassy :blink: . So even they are not up to standard all the time <_< .

EDIT: and lets not forget, these hops are being picked this year 06, not 04 or 05 as are the imported ones, that would have to give them a slight edge on quality.

Cheers
Andrew

I'm not expecting anything mindblowing. I mean, they will be super fresh which is great, but I'm cautious as to whether they will be able to give the "real deal" (ie the same variety from their traditional place of origin) a run for their money. This is sort of the reason why I started a thread about what to expect from Aussie Nugget hops (which, I might add nobody has replied to yet! :( ). I can find heaps of info on US Nugget hops, but not really anything on the Aussie grown stuff. I recently tried some NZ Cascade flowers and I found them really disappointing compared to the US stuff. Sometimes the originals have their reputation for a reason. Of course, like Ross said, I have ordered quite a lot of hops in this bulk buy so I hope I am wrong!!

AndrewQLD said:
last order of Czech Saaz I used were CRAP, very grassy :blink: . So even they are not up to standard all the time .

Cheers
Andrew
[post="109882"][/post]​

I've often wondered that Andrew. We're really rolling the dice with any hops. How do we know half of what we're getting is the legit article? We just have to believe what we're told. :eek:

Last lot of German Tettnang I used in a Pils were the absolute scum of the earth. Gave the beer a shocking weedy flavour that never went away. Sounds similar to what you've encountered. :ph34r:

Note: No dry hopping... last addition was added 5 mins. before flameout. I added that side-note because you've alway got to cover yourself these days. ;)

Warren -

we may all be off to sowing classes to make pillows instead of beer ;)

I agree there has to be a question as to how good these hops are and idealistically we would all prefer to buy hops at their country of origin.

However, at this price there really is nothing to lose by at least trying them.
From my perspective I dont have any great expectations, infact its the curiousity and experimentation that interests me because we know they will be different.

Cheers

BB

And if we don't like them I guess we could all try stuffing some chickens and cook with them.

Worst case scenario they can be used for bittering. I have ordered some to see what they are like and if I'm not particularly fond of them they will end up as bittering hops in my swill beers, the ones I brew for when the non brewing mates come over.

Just as a side note - I'll be selling these hops after the bulk buy in 90gm vacuum sealed packs @ $4.50 each delivered free anywhere in Australia, whereas the German equivalent will be $5.50.

Bulk purchases, obviously cheaper...

Cheers Ross...

Lindsay Dive said:
I sent a personal email to the Sydney/Wollongong chap trying to order a kilo each of the Hallertau and Tettnang and have not received a reply.
Can anyone else here help me????
[post="109855"][/post]​

Check your mail.

Mycle.

OK, just in case anyone was worried. Here is the list of people who I have orders for. If you've sent me an order and your name is not here please resend and also send it to [email protected] just in case the spam filter kills it.

-list removed due to objections-

Thanks
Mycle.

mycle said:
OK, just in case anyone was worried. Here is the list of people who I have orders for. If you've sent me an order and your name is not here please resend and also send it to [email protected] just in case the spam filter kills it.

Thanks
Mycle.
[post="109934"][/post]​
Are all collection points gonna post, I still have no idea if my order has been recieved

Cheers
Richard

you will recieve an email from Neville @ Gryphon letting you know that the order was recieved

just emailed an order to Jayson in Sth Qld. Hope I'm not too late, should have just squeezed in!

Just landed in the inbox.

G'Day All

This is let everyone know that the hop order has been confirmed and "locked
in".

We now require everyone to pay for their order. Your local Hop Collection
Station will contact you with details on how you should pay. If you dont
hear from your Hop Collection Station please contact them.

NOTE : PAYMENT MUST BE MADE BY THE END OF MARCH.

If payment is not made by then, your order will be cancelled.

I thank everyone for their patience and understanding with this whole
process. Also realise the people who make their time to act as Hop
Collection Stations do so for everyones benefit, in their own time and at no
cost. Please understand that they may not get back to you immediately. A
little patience goes a long way.

Please pass this on to other digests that have posted this hop order.

Linz said:
not too sure yet....no one has stuck their hand up yet as a P/U point.

Might have to double it up with the Xmas case ??
[post="109501"][/post]​

Do we have a pick up point on the Nth Shore yet? I'd put my hand up but being a shift worker on a rotating roster means im usually working when everyone else isn't.

Its getting pretty hard for us to get bulk at wholesale price, the harder we try the more times we get shot down....... :(
-Hopsta

courtesy edit.

Ah - but unlike the HopCo/Retailer situation, this IS restriction of trade. Farmers can sell their produce to whoever they like, whenever they like.

Agro.

Latest posts

Back