Cheap Hops Full Details

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agro said:
Ah - but unlike the HopCo/Retailer situation, this IS restriction of trade. Farmers can sell their produce to whoever they like, whenever they like.

Agro.
[post="112238"][/post]​

Only if its demanded of the farmer, or in a contract, then the contract is in breach of the provisions.

However, if they simply complain to the farmer, and imply they may prefer other farmers in future, then its upto the farmer what they do. Its an almighty grey area that doesnt apply as simply as the legislation would have liked it to.

There does seem to be a large gap between wholesaler and farm though - hopco aint doing too bad on margin! Of course the breweries would supply directly from grower.

agro said:
Ah - but unlike the HopCo/Retailer situation, this IS restriction of trade. Farmers can sell their produce to whoever they like, whenever they like.

Agro.
[post="112238"][/post]​

And at whatever price they like.

They can unless they are under contract to one supplier. I have no idea if this is the case but it sounds weird that the farmer is being "investigated" - sounds like a breech of an agreement or something to me. Who knows though, I am just speculating...

Well this is a real downer - I was looking forward to getting these hops! I've even designed a few recipes already to use them! Oh well, I think hop bulk buys are just doomed activities in these tumultuous times! :p :lol:

:angry:

Hopsta said:
Admin Edit: Quote removed as orginal poster retracted and edited their original post.

ACCC may see this as Estoppel, may be worth the supplier making a complaint.

As was previously mentioned we dont know if it is a case of breach of contract or intimidation.

Even if no contract is involved its very difficult for a farmer to upset the status quo when his livelihood depends on it.

No matter what free trade is defined as, its very difficult to take on the monopoly's

Just ask the orange growers in the Riverland SA, they make a few cents a bag while their product retails in excess of $3, So they decided to to sell by the side of the road off the back of a truck!

Big supermarket chains are now controling large sections of the food industry right from the farm to the retail shelf. They will tell you its to guarantee quality and freshness. What its really about is squeezing the farmer at his end to make even bigger profit,
How does a farmer stay independent against such giant monopolies?

Free trade is idealistic at best, you cant legislate against bastards who can contrive to destroy you!

We will just have to wait to here more

BB

BoilerBoy said:
Big supermarket chains are now controling large sections of the food industry right from the farm to the retail shelf. They will tell you its to guarantee quality and freshness. What its really about is squeezing the farmer at his end to make even bigger profit,

BB
[post="112264"][/post]​

Wait till they find out about hops.

They are going to have a field day. :p

johnno

$18 a Kilo is still dam cheap in my book.
maybe graham can make another offer at $18 I would still be in that
would that keep the hopco gods happy?

sintax69 said:
$18 a Kilo is still dam cheap in my book.
maybe graham can make another offer at $18 I would still be in that
would that keep the hopco gods happy?
[post="112267"][/post]​

Totally - $18 a kilo is still cheap as, that's $1.80 per 100g.

Personally i'm glad i have my order in with nzhops.co.nz - if anyone wants the price list pm me or email them.

My order with my local HBS delivery point remains. If I have to slip him a fiver or two to keep it going, then i"m there.

M

Fingerlickin_B said:
Ok, obviously this thread has been edited so as not to show what the "problem" you are all talking about is :(

Would someone please PM me with details?

I've got some on order, paid for, etc...I'd like to know what you are all on about :blink:

PZ.
[post="112302"][/post]​

Any queries regarding this hop buy should be directed to the person who is handling your purchase. Suffice to sat that the buy is on hold at the moment and we are waiting to hear from the organiser regarding what the situation is. All people who have ordered or paid for the hops will be told exactly what is happening as things progress.

Cheers
Andrew

I may be interested, just putting a post here to get updates on the progress

If something has happened as to the prospects of this BBuy going ahead... could someone please share the details!

If there have been complaints from someone, then fine, but at least generally let us know what is going on.

dreamboat

What's going on here?????

This thread is confusing to read which is slightly annoying as I have an order in for this one through the Canberra point...

Could some one let me know if this is cancelled? Seems to be a bit of censoring going on here...

MHD said:
What's going on here?????

This thread is confusing to read which is slightly annoying as I have an order in for this one through the Canberra point...

Could some one let me know if this is cancelled? Seems to be a bit of censoring going on here...
[post="112925"][/post]​

I don't see why this is confusing,
Contact the person you ordered the hops through originally and they will be able to update you on the progress.

Cheers
Andrew

Yeah there was a quote up from an email which has since seen removed saying that there were issues because the price was too cheap. That post was removed before i saw it, but it was quoted in another post which is now gone as well.

The post was edited because it contained a copy of an email that the poster didn't have permission to post, and in the interest of not wishing to jeopardise the purchase further that part of the post was removed.
The OzCraftBrewer hop order is currently on hold. Your local contact for your state should be able to give you more information.

Beers,
Doc

Doc,
Just curious if you edited the post because the poster posted it without permission from the author (I don't think so because I recall it said pass it on) or you were contacted about the content of the email by possibly a disgruntled homebrew shop owner or simply because you felt it was your god given right to remove stuff willy nilly?

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Doc,
Just curious if you edited the post because the poster posted it without permission from the author (I don't think so because I recall it said pass it on) or you were contacted about the content of the email by possibly a disgruntled homebrew shop owner or simply because you felt it was your god given right to remove stuff willy nilly?

cheers
Darren
[post="112975"][/post]​

Darren,
There was nothing sinister about the thread removal, I know because it was me that requested it. The email was in fact confidencial and the author did request that it not be posted. The reference to "pass it on"" in fact refered to pass it on to the other state contacts, not forums or message boards. As Doc said, and I have said at least twice, if you ordered hops, refer back to your state contact for an update. The more this is argued over and thrashed out on a public forum the harder it will be to complete the deal, for the benefit of all involved please let this thread die.

And as a point of interest, none of the Moderators on this Forum remove posts "willy nilly" as you put it, and I think in future you should take comments like that off board and contact the Mod directly instead of trying to inflame an already highly inflammable issue.

cheers
Andrew

Thanks for that Andrew. Just curious for the reasons for deletion.

cheers
Darren

Back