Cheap Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosysBrews

Reaction score
I just bought one of these from the same seller (I think) to crack small amounts of crystal and choc etc . However im yet to receive it should be arriving soon ill let you know how it goes.

I did see Craig of Craigtube use one that was similar in one of his youtube videos using it for an all grain but I think it would be very slow and you'd be better of going for something better. But for cracking small amounts of specialty grains it should do what I want.

Buy a good mill. I went low cost and binned the thing. $135 I can mill a hoppers worth (3kg) in a few minutes.

I've used one for years (full batch ag, have done 2-3 batches in a day). Just requires elbow grease and to keep an eye on the crush. Plates are adjustable.

BrosysBrews said:
Hi All,

Does anybody use one of these for their grain? I was thinking that if you added a piece of PVC pipe to the top you could expand it to hold 1.5-2ish Kg? I am starting out with mini BIAB using a 19lt pot so wont have a huge amount of grain anyway?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/500gm-CAST-IRON-HAND-OPERATED-CORN-GRAIN-WHEAT-SPICE-GRINDER-CRUSHER-MILL-/351186974280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item51c45ff648
I had one to start years ago ,would I recommend the crush, hell no but it will get you started if thats all your after ?
Nev

I used a Carona Mill (same as the one you are looking at) for a couple of years.

Does the job, but it ads a reasonable amount of time to your brew day to mill the grain. (about 45 mins to an hour)

Bought a Barley Crusher for $90.00 from this guy a few weeks ago. and I'm using an electric drill to run it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/301316037689?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item4627d5dc39

Grain now takes under 5 minutes to crack.
It has also increased my systems (BIAB) efficiency by about 5%, so I'm not using as much grain for the same result.

Mattress said:
I used a Carona Mill (same as the one you are looking at) for a couple of years.

Does the job, but it ads a reasonable amount of time to your brew day to mill the grain. (about 45 mins to an hour)

Bought a Barley Crusher for $90.00 from this guy a few weeks ago. and I'm using an electric drill to run it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Barley-Crusher-Malt-All-Grain-Mill-for-Home-Brewing-Monster-Mash-/301316037689?pt=AU_Barware&hash=item4627d5dc39

It has also increased my systems (BIAB) efficiency by about 5%, so I'm not using as much grain for the same result.
That is pretty tempting, however harder to sneak past the Finance dept!

BrosysBrews said:
That is pretty tempting, however harder to sneak past the Finance dept!
Have you asked the CEO of Domestic Finance to give you a hand and mill the grain on brew day? That should solve the problem.

antiphile said:
Have you asked the CEO of Domestic Finance to give you a hand and mill the grain on brew day? That should solve the problem.
Very creative

Had one when starting out but since upgraded, was ok when just crushing some malt for extract's when doing a steep. But for all grain its a huge pain, and i would say the quality with these varies.

Mattress said:

I like the look of that unit. For that price seems good value. Might be time to invest in my next bit of kit!

PM me your address and you can have a Corona Mill (similar to the one you referenced) for free. It hasn't been used in years but is in good condition.

Thats pretty dam cheap for a Corona Mill. Mills are definitely coming down in price.

got one of these hooked up to the ozito hammer drill. had some ply + a stand already. A fully working setup for under $200 is pretty sweet. Had to mess around to get the height of the drill and the mill arm level but no biggie.

Mattress said:

Blimey, that's a great price (even after $16 interstate postage)! What's the catch?

I remember seeing them around $100!!! This is so cheap.

Grabbed one of those barley crushers as well, used it a few times now by hand, works great. Interesting to see how long it lasts.

I've been using a Corona mill attached to an old washing machine motor (geared-down with a large pulley) for almost 20 years (built a wheeled trolley out of bits of pine & MDF). It works fine, but tends to shred the grains, rather than crush them. Much playing with the gap adjustment until you get what you want.

To all the naysayers, I've made MANY prize-winning beers using it, you've just gotta be careful with your sparging.

I say go for it & enjoy your brewing. If you want to "upgrade" later, well, it's cost you bugger-all & you can still use it for doing specialty grains & adjuncts....

PS. I bought a 3D SS Crankandstein over 10 years ago with all good intentions, but just never got around to mounting it, so I'm still using the Corona. Maybe now I've got some space to play with, I might get around to doing it properly (but I'll keep the Corona on-hand).

I use this one for BIAB, good fir yhe. $30!! I have removed the handle and replaced it with a bolt end to hook up a drill, 5-10 min for a batch

Back