Cheap Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recieved mine a few days ago. It's a bit rough with the casting but looks the goods. I haven't had a chance to brew with it yet so we'll see then!

I have the same and an setting it up. There are a few hacks for it online. I have mine powered by a drill and put some washers to space out the plates. I might use some epoxy dough or a spot weld to fix the outer plate, they come with a split pin which moves around a bit. $25 can't go wrong!!!

whats the toughest ask for a grain mill?
i would think cracking corn.

mine arrived already, little rough as mentioned and ebay sellers should learn the difference between cast iron and cast aluminium. lol.

first problem, the auger does not go in far enough to allow the mill parts to come close enough to mill, wheat falls through it untouched on finest setting.
the outer mill can not move further down the auger so only 2 solutions possible, correct one .. put the auger on a lathe and turn down the handle end of the auger so it slides further into body.
dodgy one, done now as a test, unscrew the inner mill plate and fit 2mm spacer behind it to bring the plate out further, even with this some wheat escapes untouched yet I have some aluminium particles in the bowl, only been using a handful to test with though perhaps a full hopper would allow the plates to remain spaced more evenly, held apart by wheat.

as is, not fit for purpose without work. am considering chasing a refund but then, its my fault, you get what you pay for, this just looks like a corona mill clone.

save your money imo. unless I just got a particularly dodgy one. hers a photo set to finest possible, the wingnuts are done up tight enough here that the shaft will not even rotate.

NGEXD6Jl.jpg

Mine cracks wheat no worries. Can grind it to dust if I want. That's shitful for you though - hope you can fix it enough to put it to good use.

Stonemull said:
mine arrived already, little rough as mentioned and ebay sellers should learn the difference between cast iron and cast aluminium. lol.

first problem, the auger does not go in far enough to allow the mill parts to come close enough to mill, wheat falls through it untouched on finest setting.
the outer mill can not move further down the auger so only 2 solutions possible, correct one .. put the auger on a lathe and turn down the handle end of the auger so it slides further into body.
dodgy one, done now as a test, unscrew the inner mill plate and fit 2mm spacer behind it to bring the plate out further, even with this some wheat escapes untouched yet I have some aluminium particles in the bowl, only been using a handful to test with though perhaps a full hopper would allow the plates to remain spaced more evenly, held apart by wheat.

as is, not fit for purpose without work. am considering chasing a refund but then, its my fault, you get what you pay for, this just looks like a corona mill clone.

save your money imo. unless I just got a particularly dodgy one. hers a photo set to finest possible, the wingnuts are done up tight enough here that the shaft will not even rotate.

NGEXD6Jl.jpg

Where's the gap adjusting bolt gone? Wont work too great without it

and if you do get one like mine ..the minimum mods to make one useable in any way shape or form. spacing the mounted mill away from the body and the larger nuts under the wingnuts allow those to be tightened fully and help clamp the auger shaft central. Also had to remove the spilt pin and rotate it as it was hitting the outer arm.

PxkeNpul.jpg

QldKev said:
Where's the gap adjusting bolt gone? Wont work too great without it
sitting next to it, i know how it works, thats setting the gap to zero basically, the auger can not go into the outer retainer any further, thats tight up.
i only removed it for the photo.

just noticed the sticker on the box and the supplied instructions say 'corn grinder no 500', it would probably work just fine with corn.
are yours the same or did they perhaps send the wrong type?
the listing says corn grain wheat spice grinder.

I had the opposite with mine. It was only working on super fine. I added the bolts same as you, but to add space between the plates. I've also removed the split pin and am adding epoxy dough to the outside plate to stop it moving all about. Will add photo when done.

Back