Cheap Brewing Books

• Thread starter pickledparrot69
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

pickledparrot69

Been eyeing off How-To-Brew by John Palmer because I want to expand my brewing knowhow but hate reading books on the computer screen. Call me old fashioned. Its $45.00 at my local grain supplier. To my surprise a place was found today where I can get the same book, actually a newer 2006 edition for only $21.00 from England, and free shipping. So I may as well share the good find. Link is below.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/97809...885/How-to-Brew

Enjoy!
PP69

2006 is an old edition i think you'll find. the new editions have more up to date and extra info.

Zymurgy have a promo on atm.. subscribe to their mag and receive Palmer's how to brew for free. And yes, free means the book is free, shipped free to Aus (your profile does not include your location, but I gather you are in Aus).

Amazon sell the book for $13USD.. not sure if they ship internationally. I generally use free super saver shipping within US, then have relatives forward on via USPS.. still works a good deal cheaper than buying books locally. USPS now have a (larger) flat rate envelope that's a $5'er.. I bet a book would fit no worries.

Recently wanted to grab a book (non-brewing).. called all of the AUS retailers, including many online outfits.. purchase price was around $75AUD (some wanting $75 plus I pay intl. shipping). By chance I had a mate visiting LA at the time, who grabbed it off the newsstand for $20.00.

reVox

I bought that book and many others from Amazon

The latest version (you can also buy old versions and 2nd hand versions)

$13.57 USD for the book new
$9.98 USD for shipping and handeling

Approx $25 AUD

The shipping cost can be brought down per book if you buy more books.

Cheers,
Plyers

Free International postage from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/, I have bought many books and they are usually cheaper than amazon, which are not free postage. Heaps of cheap brewing books there, try to shop sober.

Free is Free, take it or leave it. Will John Palmer make you produce better beers? For sure if you are at an infancy stage of your brewing.

Are you past Johns fairly average summation of world beers.

For mine, move straight past him, OLD HAT pre 2000.

Its yankee biased, surprise surprise.
Hop bomb anyone?

I purchased How to Brew from the bookdepository and it arrived a week ago. Took about 2-3 weeks to arrive which seemed ok.

The hardcopy is certainly much easier to read than the online version and does include some additional info. One of the things that is a slight annoyance is the use of imperial measurements, although he attempts metric conversions at times, many of the calculations center on US formulas etc, making what could be useful simple calculations more complex to understand for the beginning aussie brewer (better to just use beersmith etc).

haysie

Well I think it will help me get to know some of the fundamentals a bit better than just blindly following a method without understanding the principles. For the price of two brewpub pints it doesnt matter if I outgrow the information. The imperial formulas could be a pain in the backside. I am just happy that I didnt have to pay $45.00 as I was about to do earlier today from local sources.

Free is Free, take it or leave it. Will John Palmer make you produce better beers? For sure if you are at an infancy stage of your brewing.

Are you past Johns fairly average summation of world beers.

For mine, move straight past him, OLD HAT pre 2000.

Its yankee biased, surprise surprise.
Hop bomb anyone?

So what should we move onto oh great sayer of wisdom ?

Free International postage from http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/, I have bought many books and they are usually cheaper than amazon, which are not free postage. Heaps of cheap brewing books there, try to shop sober.

Just ordered "Brewing Classic Styles" and gome other books for xmas presents, too easy.

daniel

Sober as a judge I just this minute ordered Ray Daniels, Designing Great Beers. Love the internet & PayPal.

Muchious GrassyArse Senoir Rudy :icon_cheers: . hic.....

www.4shared.com has some books and material on brewing/fermentation in pdf and doc.

Since we're talking book links add this one to the list - http://www.abebooks.com/

Have also noticed that Borders have recently gone online and offering cheaper books than their retail stores too. The prices are higher than US/UK equivalents but are shipping in 3 days if you're looking for something pre-chrissie. Recently ordered a swag of brew books from amazon (bless the high aussie dollar :D) and most will be taking 4 weeks to ship due to christmas.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back