Cheap And Nasty Party Kegs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
http://www.bottlemart.com.au/Promotions

heineken-chill-promo-300x250.jpg

That's pretty damn awesome (the keg and cooler, not the beer), and according to this
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...amp;hl=heiniken
you can just prime them with dextrose (rather than having to buy CO2, etc). I might put up a couple of signs around the town to see if people want to sell them (and the keg insulation) to me after they're finished with them.

Has anyone done this before? Can I slightly overprime to compensate for the fact that they lose more air than the bottles, or would that lead to big-bada-boom?

The insulation looks interesting. I wonder if it could be used on a pressure sprayer party keg for example?

There have been a number of threads over the years and as 4* says the general concensus of opinion is that you can't refill them to use as a pressure keg. However I reckon if you were handy at shopB you could maybe turn one into a mini-real ale cask to serve under gravity at a party. However a real ale party would probably be a geekish affair :p

real_ale_convention.jpg

hang on, looks like a BABBs meeting :eek: :eek:

The insulation looks interesting. I wonder if it could be used on a pressure sprayer party keg for example?
I use one of these Heineken cool packs to insulate my 9L cornies. I just ditched the gel pack that comes with them and just use it like a big stubby cooler.

They are a single piece of neoprene that wraps around the keg and secures using three Velcro straps. It fits nicely between the rubber top and bottom of the keg (covers exposed metal) and keeps them cool for hours.

hmmmmmm,

how does one actually refill it? Can you take the original dispensing assembly apart, or does he refill it through the hole he has drilled to fit the bung?

It's the only thing i don't understand from that article.

Just took a keg away on a holiday with my keg charger. Went through a shitload of ice in my bucket trying to keep it chilled. Thinking if this works, i can take away half a dozen of these and recycle them through the holiday venue's fridge.....

im assuming through the bung, you could always post and ask him.

That looks like an awesome idea. Only thing we cant get here would be that bung. Would be interested if anyone knew of a local supplier cause im guessing shipping a few of those from the US would be that feasible.

You would probably get the bung & valve from a bike shop. He called it a Presta valve. Google brings up a lot of bike stuff & even showed something similar.

Yeh the vavle isnt a problem that bung seems quite special mainly for those mini kegs. I have emailed the shop listed in the thread so might work out cheap with out super exchange rate.

I wonder if you could mod it to take a corny beer post where the bung goes, then you could gas it from a CO2 bottle.

Those CO2 cartridges are $6 over here.

why not have a gas line with a tire inflater on the end.

Latest posts

Back