Challenger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - A great hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - A terrible hop

• 0 - Never used it

• Total voters

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
By request again, we're back to the UK for a dual-purpose English hop - Challenger.

So what can you tell us about this hop? How do you use them - bittering, flavour, aroma? Have you used them for only English styles, or something else? What hop combinations are they good for? Are there any commercial beers available here using this hop? Any other tips for using this hop?

Tell us all you know so we can all make the best beer we can. :chug:

Information from here.

Wye Challenger (United Kingdom)
Specifications
English Wye Challenger
A granddaughter of Northern Brewer bred in England with German downy mildew resistant males.

Aroma: Mild to moderate, quite spicy
When used for bittering, Challenger can impart a pleasant and complex marmalade/toffee/citrus flavour, which enhances strong ales. Substitutes: East Kent Goldings, Phoenix, Styrian Goldings, British Columbian Goldings.

Storageability: 70-85% of alpha acids remaining after six (6) months @ 20� C.

Acid Composition
Alpha Acid: 6.5 - 8.5% w/w
Beta Acids: 2.5 - 4.5% w/w
Co-Humulone: 20 - 28% of alpha acids

Oil Composition
Total Oil: 0.7 - 1.7 mls/100 grams
Myrcene: 30-42% of whole oil
Humulene: 25 -32% of whole oil
Caryophyllene: 8 - 10% of whole oil
Farnesene: 1-3% of whole oil

General Trade Perception
One of the few recognized dual-purpose hops combining moderate amounts of alpha acids with a good kettle hop aroma.

Other Information
A result of Wye's efforts to combine higher levels of alpha acids with technically good aroma, disease resistance, and good agronomic properties. Released in 1968.

Information source: Joh. Barth & Sohn

I use this as a bittering hop a lot. Mostly IPAs and Pale Ales generally with with Northdown or EKG at the end. I've used it up to 45 IBUs and liked it. Good bitterness, not too sharp, not too course.

I have not used it much, but it was a flavour hop in my saison alongside glacier and spalt. It was a bit hard to derive any impression from it in that.

This is a great versatile hop, used it a lot in stout porters and pale ales.

Works particularly well with Northdown.

Brewed an all Golden Promise and Challenger pale a while back and it's a really nice light easy drinking summer ale. :chug:

Not a stunning or in your face hop in character by any means, but if it were a dog it would greet you warmly at the door every night affectionately, lick you and then roll over and let you scratch it on the tummy :D

Cheers
BB

Challenger has long been one of my favourite hops. I've since discovered others with more character but I still keep coming back to Challenger for a range of uses.

Very happy to bitter with Challenger. I agree with the comments above that it's a nice smooth bitterness.
Flavours and aromas are good too. I've used Goldings and Fuggles together a lot in Brit Ales and Challenger gives similar characteristics in one hit though with a little more spice and some marmaladey fruitiness.

I also use Challenger a lot in single malt/single hop brews especially Brit Summer ales.
Any hop that can be used all the way through a brew and produce good results is good in my book.
I happily give this one a '5'.

but if it were a dog it would greet you warmly at the door every night affectionately, lick you and then roll over and let you scratch it on the tummy
Looks like someone's broken into the Xmas stash early :)
Merry Christmas Lyndon :beer:

. I've used Goldings and Fuggles together a lot in Brit Ales and Challenger gives similar characteristics in one hit though with a little more spice and some marmaladey fruitiness.

Absolutely bang on Voosher.

Do yourself a fava for summer and do 98% MO and 2% choc with Challenger from front to back to 30 IBU and your fave english ale yeast or '56 for a hop dominant finish.

I like the sound of that Brau, may give that a go,

and a merry christmas to you too tangent :party:

Challenger ia a good all round dual purpose performer

I have a few hundred grams to use up so how would it go in an all challenger IPA? Maybe hopburst it up to about 40IBUs?

I like the sound of that Brau, may give that a go,

Challenger ia a good all round dual purpose performer

You won't be dissapointed!The choc gives a hint of colour with a slight (hint) of roasty depth.

And as an allrounder its tops .
It has the woodiness of NB for bittering, the orangey/marmalade of fuggles or willamette for flava ,and a goldings type aroma without the gay perfumy character(sorry Voosher).
Its a hop thats made for an english summer ale.

I have a few hundred grams to use up so how would it go in an all challenger IPA? Maybe hopburst it up to about 40IBUs?

DO IT!

The fresher the better I'd say.
It'll smell like Goldings but taste like Fuggles with a nice orangey balance ,Whack some crystal in as well to give some depth for the hops to shine through and balance the bitterness.

I'll endorse Brau's endorsement of a Challenger IPA... despite his disparaging remarks about me and my EKG :p
I've just done something intended to get close to the Gage Roads IPA and there was plenty of Challenger in that. I used 96% Maris Otter and 4% JW CaraMalt (60EBC). Just a little crystal sweetness which should work well with the fruit and spice of the Challenger.

It does sound the goods. The only time I've had it is an all Challenger pale ale that mikem108 brought to the last brewday. Very good stuff. Hopefully, mike will chime in with the recipe. :beer:

Brauluver, that sounds like a great, simple recipe. I'll have to put that in the queue. :super:

would this be a good hop for an american amber? Somthing like this

.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 61.0 %
1.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 20.3 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 10.2 %
0.30 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 6.1 %
0.12 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 2.4 %
20.00 gm Challenger [7.50%] (20 min) Hops 11.0 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (20 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [10.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
15.00 gm Cascade [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
15.00 gm Williamette [5.50%] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

I've been using this for my gluten-less brews and I'm liking it.. Very "English" hop - I agree that it is much like a blend of Fuggle and EKG in one but a little more potent. Aroma-wise it leans more toward Goldings but a bit more citrusy/ lemony, fruity and vegetal/ spicy (not as mild as Goldings).

I've used it in an ESB that I really like. I think it is an excellent English beer hop for those who have something against the great Fuggles and Goldings...

Mini Mash

3kg LME. 1kg Maris Otter 250g Crystal 100g Dark Crystal 500g DME 250g Carapils

50g Challenger 30g Goldings Safale S04

Mashed grains for 1hr. 30g Goldings 30g Challenger @45. ME @15 20g Challenger @10

I don't have the proper report for IBUs etc here but it was 1047 down to 1012

I will use this hops again as an ESB/English Bitter/Pale Ale something, depending on mood, grains etc is fast becoming a standard output...

Jye, it is a brilliant hop to make a single hopped IPA with.

I brewed an all MO and Challenger IPA a couple of years back, OG 1070, IBU 50. It was just so easy to drink and had a great sweet marmalade flavour and aroma. I really don't know why I haven't brewed it again :(

I love Challenger and combined with Target it goes really well in any English type beer you want to try (thanks for the tip Warren :super: ).

C&B
TDA

I've just split a batch of 80% MO, 5% vienna, 4% dark crystal, 1% caramalt. The only hopping was 50/50 challenger and EKG. One keg I dry hopped with EKG, the other with challenger. The result was very similar. Both fantastic.

regards
Scott

Starts reading a few passages from the Necronomicon and

BOOM.

Another thread back from the dead :D

Planning an all Challenger IPA this weekend.

Wyeast 1026 is on the stir plate in anticipation.

Whilst a 1 malt, 1 hop IPA is something i want to do i cant help but add extra complexity to the malt backbone.

Anything wrong with my thinking or should i simplify and stick to the base malt?

5.25 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.30 %
0.20 kg Amber Malt (Bairds) (100.0 EBC) Grain 3.48 %
0.20 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 3.48 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (700.0 EBC) Grain 1.74 %
40.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (20 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
20.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Cask Ale (Wyeast Labs #1026) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

21L
OG 1.060
IBU 47
EBC 26

Planning on mashing at 67 and contemplating a decoction mashout.

Kicking this off with near on a week for this recipe to be chopped and changed at least 10 times before brewday (this weekend)..... :lol:

EDIT - spelling/grammar

Latest posts

Back