Challenger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - A great hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - A terrible hop

• 0 - Never used it

• Total voters
Orange marmalade is a good description, the bitters I brewed had about 5% med crystal malt that seemed to work well with the Challenger flavour.

Thanks DML & BD.
The Challenger sounds great for the UK beers i like - orange marmalade would've been perfect for the UK Bitters i'm about to bottle.
However, there was no readily available (cheap) Challenger to utilise... I blame Yob & Spiesy/Cocko. :ph34r: :p

If it helps, I've just thrown out the last of my Northern Brewer (US) and have ordered some Challenger with the intent to Replace NB as a bittering hop in a couple of English styles I've recently done. My reasoning is more the menthol smell if NB shan't go over well, and my brewing notes from earlier versions of similar beers used Challenger a fair bit and they were generally bloody good.

Adr_0 said:
If it helps, I've just thrown out the last of my Northern Brewer (US) and have ordered some Challenger with the intent to Replace NB as a bittering hop in a couple of English styles I've recently done. My reasoning is more the menthol smell if NB shan't go over well, and my brewing notes from earlier versions of similar beers used Challenger a fair bit and they were generally bloody good.
Yeah - my thinking was a little similar.
I'm chasing a Theakston's Old Peculier clone, and G Wheeler's suggested recipe uses NB for bittering, whereas it seems Challenger would be a better choice (for my tastes anyway) and maybe a little in for flavour as well. I didn't really have any problems with the last TOP attempt with respect to the menthol thing, but i more just want to crank up an orangey element.
Otherwise it just sounds perfect for all my other UK beer attempts :D

I'm using Challenger (along with Target and Northdown) for the first time this weekend in a Fuller's London Pride clone (BYO recipe).
After having read the glowing tributes in this thread I think an all-Challenger bitter or IPA will be not too far away.

Doing a series of English ales . Will have in common

Challenger, for bittering at least.

Wyeast 1469

BB ale malt.

Want to experiment with roasting my own malts more.

Challenger is my fav english hop. Got 1.5 kilos of it. :)

I've made two ESBs before using EKG both times with no complaints but recently tried a single hop ESB using Challenger after reading an article on Fullers London Pride, a British ale I've been enjoying a lot lately.

From now on I think Challenger will be replacing EKG as my goto British bittering hop and even has a place in the small flavor/aroma part of the brew. I really like the deep earthy and mild spice notes in it :chug:

Latest posts

Back