Challenger

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5 - A great hop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - A terrible hop

• 0 - Never used it

• Total voters
Both Lloydie and I have fallen in love with this hop... Every fermenter will be full of ales with challanger. LOL!

Both Lloydie and I have fallen in love with this hop... Every fermenter will be full of ales with challanger. LOL!

Understandable, just got some more myself and got one of Dr Smurto's Challenger IPA's waiting in the fridge for me as well :beer:

Cheers,
BB

Understandable, just got some more myself and got one of Dr Smurto's Challenger IPA's waiting in the fridge for me as well :beer:

Cheers,
BB

Just found his recipe wierdly on this thread DR very similar to the one Lloydie is working on... Really Ill say it again when is the book coming out? Im working on a Bitter... A new style for me!

Put this one down last Monday.

It's my effort to get a grip on the Challenger hop.
A fairly simple malt bill (for me), mashed at 68C for 100 minutes, Notts yeast to dry it out a little and let the hops shine through.

I'll post my feelings on it once it's bottled and carbed.

Bitter & Twisted
Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Batch Size: 23 L

Actual OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

4500.00 gm Maris Otter (6.0 EBC) Grain 96.77 %
100.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 2.15 %
50.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.08 %
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (60 min) (First WHops 13.8 IBU
10.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
20.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -

Put this one down last Monday.

It's my effort to get a grip on the Challenger hop.
A fairly simple malt bill (for me), mashed at 68C for 100 minutes, Notts yeast to dry it out a little and let the hops shine through.

I'll post my feelings on it once it's bottled and carbed.

Bitter & Twisted
Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Batch Size: 23 L

Actual OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 21.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

4500.00 gm Maris Otter (6.0 EBC) Grain 96.77 %
100.00 gm Crystal Medium (145.0 EBC) Grain 2.15 %
50.00 gm Chocolate (1200.0 EBC) Grain 1.08 %
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (60 min) (First WHops 13.8 IBU
10.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (60 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
20.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger '06 [7.90 %] (0 min) Hops -

Looks very similar to something I did a while back and it came out great, though I went for around 38IBUs. This one of my favourite hops.

You should like it Dr... Has one of your fave yeasts. :D

Yorkie SA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 45.00 Wort Size (L): 45.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.20
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.96
Anticipated EBC: 13.2
Anticipated IBU: 34.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.2 6.00 kg. BB Ale Malt Australia 1.038 8
21.7 2.00 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
10.9 1.00 kg. Weyermann Munich II Germany 1.038 20
2.2 0.20 kg. BB Caramalt Australia 1.036 40

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
33.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.50 22.6 60 min.
20.00 g. Challenger Pellet 7.90 5.8 30 min.
20.00 g. Challenger Pellet 7.90 3.8 20 min.
20.00 g. Challenger Pellet 7.90 2.3 10 min.
30.00 g. Challenger Pellet 7.90 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1469 West Yorkshire

Warren -

My love affair with bitters and challenger is not over yet even after I over hopped my last one...

This is next for me once I have a empty fermenter......

What over yeast would be good for this ?

I did an English IPA and used a combo of 100g of Challenger and 40g of Fuggles to 40 IBU. Was great :icon_drool2:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess if jurule had posted a new thread about challenger, someone would have either said 'do a search' or linked to this thread.

Best place for it non?

For the record, I love challenger and am tweaking my esb recipe to cope with vastly different aa% from the first time I brewed it. First lot I got were 11%, now I have more regular 6.5. Working out the bittering is relatively easy but hitting that flavour balance is not.

errr what are yas on about? I didnt start a new thread and was posting about the use of Challenger hops... Am i missing something or is someone being a tosser?

I'm putting together a Black EIPA at the moment, but using a typical American IPA recipe. Throwing 110g late in the boil, that's in a 17L batch. Will lose a bit of wort to hop debris I'd say, too!

errr what are yas on about? I didnt start a new thread and was posting about the use of Challenger hops... Am i missing something or is someone being a tosser?

Bribie was asking (in a good natured way because he is a good natured bloke) why you dug up an old dead thread.

I explained (in a good natured way as I am likewise quite pleasant mostly) that digging up the old thread was better than starting a new one and that this thread was entirely appropriate for your post.

IF you had posted a new topic, you would have got the response I laid out at the top but you didn't so you didn't.

No tossers (although that's subjective) so relax, top up your glass and enjoy the wonderful world of Challenger hops.

ahhh thats what i thought! Nothing wrong with old threads, not like Challenger got "OLD". Cheers.

No one's being a tosser buddy..

Bribie was just finding it amusing that the thread you dug up was several years old, hence the term "Necro" as in necrophilia....

EDIT: **** me you've gotta be quick around here sometimes...

No one's being a tosser buddy..

Bribie was just finding it amusing that the thread you dug up was several years old, hence the term "Necro" as in necrophilia....

EDIT: **** me you've gotta be quick around here sometimes...

:unsure: :icon_offtopic:

Love Challenger :wub:
I was actually sussing Manticles recipe last night and it has inspired a Challenger bitter for this weekend with a couple of subs with grain due to stocks.
Cheers!

ESB 1 All Challenger
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.580
Total Hops (g): 100.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 11.6 (EBC): 22.8
Bitterness (IBU): 41.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 72
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (89.61%)
0.250 kg Crystal 120 (4.48%)
0.200 kg Biscuit (3.58%)
0.130 kg Caraamber (2.33%)

Hop Bill
----------------
60.0 g Challenger Pellet (4% Alpha) @ 40 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)
40.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 67C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

After a recent run of English Bitters and Brown Ales using Challenger I'm in love with this hop, gives a great aroma and flavour when used late, gonna have a crack at an all Challenger IPA next so I can really load up on the late additions.

I haven't used it for dry hopping yet, anyone had success using it for dry hop additions?

Any words on the description of the flavour or aroma? or just a repeat of the initial comments on page 1?

I'm very keen to try some Challenger soon (as soon as FP or HDA get it in... hint, hint!).

To my tastes it's less earthy and spicy than EKGs or Fuggles, seems to have a brighter fruit character, maybe a bit of lemon or even earl grey tea like flavours and aromas, overall very clean.

One of my favourite hops all the way through from FWH to dry hop. agree with the descriptions in the 1st post, although the toffee notes only seem to come out if you've got some crystal malt or caramelised wort in the 1st place (much like EKG)

Made a DMASH with lots of Challenger late, really nice. IMO, similar to SNPA but with heaps of orange marmelade rather than lemon/grapefruit citrus taste/aroma and the slightly cloying sweetness of SNPA dialled back and with a darker more caramelised note

Latest posts

Back