Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moodgett said:
Cheers to everyone who organised and ran this comp judges and stewards. Congrats to all the brewers :) Special thanks to Les again for organising drop off point. Im not sure I would have been able to enter if not for that. Needless to say I nearly fell off my chair to find I placed 2nd in American pale ale and 1st in IPA ! my first comp I have entered and im over the moon!! Look forward to seeing the feedback :)

Cheers again
I was lucky enough to judge your IPA in the best of flight round and can tell you it was a sensational IPA well done and congrats.

The Scientist said:
I was lucky enough to judge your IPA in the best of flight round and can tell you it was a sensational IPA well done and congrats.
Mate I really appreciate that, thankyou :)

ned67 said:
just 1 question i got equal first in the pale ale class and finish 3rd and i got more points than 2nd place. iam michael kelly.
[SIZE=medium]I think Barls answered this a few posts ago.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]The larger categories are judged by multiple pairs of judges, each pair getting different beers. The highest scoring beers in that category then go forward to a final judging to determine places. It’s the only fair way of judging the larger categories.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Hope that helps and congrats on the 3rd[/SIZE] place

We do. Each judge fills out the scoring sheet and adds comments and sometimes might add hints and suggestions to help you brew a better beer. Given the calibre of the judges I met on Saturday and the bits and pieces I picked up from them in general conversation. I’m looking forward to learning heaps.

moodgett said:
Cheers to everyone who organised and ran this comp judges and stewards. Congrats to all the brewers :) Special thanks to Les again for organising drop off point. Im not sure I would have been able to enter if not for that. Needless to say I nearly fell off my chair to find I placed 2nd in American pale ale and 1st in IPA ! my first comp I have entered and im over the moon!! Look forward to seeing the feedback :)

Cheers again
Congrats moodgett, I'd be keen to see your winning recipe if you'd be willing to share!

Cheers,

Blind Dog said:
We do. Each judge fills out the scoring sheet and adds comments and sometimes might add hints and suggestions to help you brew a better beer. Given the calibre of the judges I met on Saturday and the bits and pieces I picked up from them in general conversation. I’m looking forward to learning heaps.
how do we get these, via email?

balconybrewer said:
My specialty was a black IPA, stoked with the result, first comp

Ryan Moore
I think our table might have judged that one, very quaffable.

Great to put faces to so many names, and Stu was a machine, totally unflappable. Many thanks to all organisers and also Heather and the gang of catering ladies.

Great to See a trimmer MHB back in fine fettle and even had a different black T shirt on. :lol: Also total shock and awe to run into Liam (Scientist) who has also given up banjo playing and moved to the good country. :ph34r:

You should get scoresheets back in the snail mail.

nsw comp 1.jpg

nsw comp 2.jpg

ricardo said:
how do we get these, via email?
Generally, feedback is mailed out via Aus post, on the original feedback sheets in the original scribble. I included my email if anyone requires clarification of my scrawl. I hope I remember most beers.

Would be far too much work, scanning and attaching to email.

If you attended the judging, you would have the opportunity to have your feedback presented personally and take it home with you, like I did.

Should be quick, based on previous years. Great team.

For the brewer whose beer had a strong iodine taint, I did ask for a second bottle if there was one.
Same for any beer that tasted a bit funky and potentially affected (or infected), or way off-style.

In most cases, there was no second bottle provided.

Some must have thought me a w!inker to ask for a second bottle, especially when I tested a chlorine character in the calibration beer.

I am not Richard Brummer, but will use Richard as the example. He scored 5th in the Pale Lager Category, but also had the highest scoring Australian Lager (Style 1).

Can Richard claim to have brewed the best Australian Lager in NSW? (Even though his Australian Lager was the 5th best Pale Lager)

Why not. I brewed the best Australian Premium Lager in Australia last year. I was beaten to second place in the Pale Lagers by Ernie Butler who brewed the best Austalian [standard] Lager.

(grabs cojones and thrusts hips while shouting "hola") B)

Bribie G said:
Why not. I brewed the best Australian Premium Lager in Australia last year. I was beaten to second place in the Pale Lagers by Ernie Butler who brewed the best Austalian [standard] Lager.

(grabs cojones and thrusts hips while shouting "hola") B)
Great. That means I am pretty happy with my results too! Might not have won my category, but highest points for those particular styles.

Its funny that my Australian Pale Ale scored a respectable 71, yet got caned a couple of weeks ago at the ESB comp for being out of style.... :huh:

mckenry said:
Its funny that my Australian Pale Ale scored a respectable 71, yet got caned a couple of weeks ago at the ESB comp for being out of style.... :huh:
I love little quirks like this when it comes to competitions. Aging, a bad bottle, subjective taste, it could be anything, but really makes you scratch your head and wonder!

I thought my Stout was killer, by far my best brew out of all my entries per my (admittedly novice) tastes. It was judged the worst stout in New South Wales (sorry to whoever judged this category) :p And a wort I was going to pour down the sink for being too dark, and that I pitched a non-viable yeast into and had to repitch three days later with a standard dry yeast came second and got into the nationals :blink:

It's a funny old hobby, only have been brewing since April, can't wait the feedback sheets and hopefully submit some better (ie drinkable!) dark ales next year!

mckenry said:
Great. That means I am pretty happy with my results too! Might not have won my category, but highest points for those particular styles.

Try to forget the war, son. It's not good for anyone. I know!

As for your beer being the best. At the very least, it's *arguably* the best beer, or best beer submitted for evaluation.

Les (2 cents)

GrantSpatchcock said:
I love little quirks like this when it comes to competitions. Aging, a bad bottle, subjective taste, it could be anything, but really makes you scratch your head and wonder!

I thought my Stout was killer, by far my best brew out of all my entries per my (admittedly novice) tastes. It was judged the worst stout in New South Wales (sorry to whoever judged this category) :p And a wort I was going to pour down the sink for being too dark, and that I pitched a non-viable yeast into and had to repitch three days later with a standard dry yeast came second and got into the nationals :blink:

It's a funny old hobby, only have been brewing since April, can't wait the feedback sheets and hopefully submit some better (ie drinkable!) dark ales next year!
Hey Grant, while you probably thought that stout was the best beer you have brewed and it probably was a well brewed and tasty drop you have to remember that they are judged to a style and if it was entered into a style that it wasn't suited to it will score badly even if it was a great beer.

mckenry said:

It is odd - my APA got decent scores in the ESB and caned in the States. Mind you I got to taste the rest of the bottle on Sat and it was sh*t, but cant figure out why as its still beautiful out of the keg.

Latest posts

Back