Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
I can announce that the Castle Hill competition will also be the NSW Comp for 2014. The dates for the competition are the 23rd and 24th August for judging with closing date for entries likely to be 16th August. I know this is short notice but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

The sponsorship details are being worked out now that the state comp is going to be with us, with details as soon as possible.

We will be using the AABC guidelines so you can prepare your beers to those styles.

Judges and stewards are the lifeblood of the competition so if you would like to get involved let me know, either by sending me a PM or email to [email protected]. It's a good couple of days, especially for the stewards. So if you haven't tried this before why not give it a try. As long as you can pour a beer and write down some numbers, you are in!

Stuart

by post, dropping off at the showground or one of the authorised drop off points to be announced yet

So all is finally ready to roll and attached is the full information about the competition noting the entry details, sponsors and the prizes, drop off points and so on.

One point to note regarding entries is that again there is an electronic entry form to go with the paper version. Please do both with the electronic one available here http://tinyurl.com/lglh9ac

Of course more judges and stewards help to get the competition done easily. If you are interested then just fill out the electronic form for this as well http://tinyurl.com/lfpbgm4 If though you have not judged or stewarded before and want to find out more details, email me at the address in the PDF or PM me. It's a great day, especially for the stewards.

If you are considering doing the BJCP test next year, do make sure you come along. Places for the course and exam will be first given to those who come along or those who've done this before.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or totally wrong and feel free to pass it on to others you may know.

View attachment Castle Hill Comp Flyer 2014.pdf

Good luck to all those who enter!

May the best beer win

may the best fermented product win.
meads and ciders this year are eligible for best in show.

True that.. but who seriously thinks a mead or cider could win...

I KID!

i-kid-i-kid.jpg

Seriously, I am not entering this year, as I really don't have anything ready. Empty cupboards and empty kegs.

Looks like we might have a great additional prize for the Best of Show beer. More details tonight I hope. :)

I'm a comp newbie and am thinking of entering a couple of beers. I have a question regarding the packaging when dropping beers off at the nominated home brew retailers. The flyer states that the dropped off entries should be 'fully packaged for transportation', what type of packaging is required to make them fully packaged for transportation? I was hoping the dropoff method would mean little to no packing effort.

Cheers.

OK, subscribed. I'll try to bottle a few from the kegerator and send them over.

Cheers,

Kumamoto_Ken said:
I'm a comp newbie and am thinking of entering a couple of beers. I have a question regarding the packaging when dropping beers off at the nominated home brew retailers. The flyer states that the dropped off entries should be 'fully packaged for transportation', what type of packaging is required to make them fully packaged for transportation? I was hoping the dropoff method would mean little to no packing effort.

Cheers.
I would expect that the bottles are protected a bit, perhaps bubble wrapped together, so when they get driven out to the showground there's no chance of damage/breakage. Even some newspaper might be enough.

I wouldn't go so far as boxing them up.

I am one of the people who picks up the entries and deliver them to right person, at the right place, at the right time. Some bubble wrap around each bottle and into the right size cardboard box, or similar, with some packing to stop the bottles moving around is good.
I try my best to treat each entry with the upmost care. It becomes hard to do this if the entry/ entries have no protective wrap, are loose in a Coles plastic carry bag, falling over in a big box etc. etc.
We try to put them so they don't fall over, break etc. However this takes time which is in short supply pre comp.
However, please do not wrap each entry in several metres of bubble wrap and gaffer tape. Unwrapping these bottles takes lots of time and the bottle usually ends up shaken in the process.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses Nick and Barry.
All clear now.

Cheers,

Ken

Hey stu,
Never heard back from you regarding quantities to submit.

H0U5ECAT said:
Hey stu,
Never heard back from you regarding quantities to submit.
Click the flyer link in post #5. Page 3.

Perfect transporting boxes for home brew are just wine boxes from your local bottlo - the smaller ones that hold spirits are better suited to 750ml PET bottles, the ones that hold six glass wine bottles are better if you are entering longnecks.

If you are entering less than six, a swift bit of handywork with a Stanley knife and some packing tape, and some bubble wrap, and you are well away.

Back