Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RdeVjun said:
Features a few former Queenslanders, evidently poached- guess that's one way for NSW to have a chance at the Nats. :p:
Almost sounds like someone's preparing the excuses early!

Blind Dog said:
Almost sounds like someone's preparing the excuses early!
Yeah, perhaps, although its also fair to say the plan hasn't worked so far! :D

A quick question about how entries are placed. I notice in Category 9 (Brown Ale) that the highest scores (80 & 81) were given 3rd and 4th place. 1st place had 76 pts. Must be something else that goes into the final placement?

most of the catagories were judged over two or more tables.
when this was the case. the top scorers from each table were brought together and tasted and places awarded by how they compared.

Woohoo!!! A 1st place in the Pale Ale Category for my Kolsch! Sweet!
And a 9th in the Specialty for my Christmas Beer.

Stoked for my first foray into Competitions.

well done to all that placed. congrats barry i forgot to say it on sunday.
stoke that my lambic won the sour category but disappointed in some of my others but ill look at the feed back

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Stu for organising, all the judges and all the other stewards. It was a real blast being there Saturday morning, learnt a huge amount from everyone. Stoked that my bitter took 1st and looking forward to getting feedback on the others so I can improve them.

Also, my apologies to Philip and Stewart for the nasty shock and I promise never to mislabel an 80 IBU ipa as an American wheat ever again!

barls said:
most of the catagories were judged over two or more tables.
when this was the case. the top scorers from each table were brought together and tasted and places awarded by how they compared.
Thanks for that barls, I was wondering how that worked myself (not that it impacted me).

Two midfield results for me in my first comp entry in about 10 years, I'm looking forward to getting the judging sheets and seeing what can be improved.

Congrats to all the winners and thanks very much to all those involved in the organisation, stewarding, judging etc...and of course the sponsors.

Congrats to the winners - there were some really great beers there!

Good to finally meet up with Bribie, Mark & a few others.

Thanks again to Heather & the ladies for feeding us.

Finally we all have to congratulate & thank Stuart for the incredible job he has yet again done in pulling together and running this comp so smoothly! It is a huge job which he makes look easy :beer: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who organised or helped with judging or stewarding.

A bit surprised with lower scores than I expected. I suspect it's partially stylistic adherence. I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Congrats to Stu and all the organisers, judges and stewards on another well run comp.

Congrats to all the winners and good luck at the Nats.

I enjoyed the entire weekend; meeting old friends, making new ones, tasting some fine beers and providing feedback, as well as sharing the best ones with other tasters.

I have found that the standard of entries has increased from a lot of the K&K with sanitation and quality assurance issues of only 6-7 years ago, to mostly all-grain (to my taste at least) and hardly a process issue, let alone a contamination (wild yeast, bacteria, cleanliness) problem.

I put this down to the accessibility of grain brewing due to the low cost of BIAB, and the fact that people have responded to feedback issues raised in competitions in the past, as well as online brew forums and great lhbs's.

I congratulate the winners and all the judges (mentors and pre-BJCP exam, alike) and the stewards and Castle Hill Show ladies, as well as all competitors willing to give it a shot.

*edit* AND OF COURSE, BIG UPS TO STU FOR BEING THE UBER-ORGANISER (and head Steward, as well as head Stuart)

Congratulations to everyone who entered, and especially to those who won their categories! I'm stoked to be providing the prizes for a few of the categories this year, and I hope to do again next year!

A special thanks to Stu, who has worked his guts out to get this all together and making it run so smoothly both before and during the comp. :icon_cheers:

Now it's time for NSW to step up and take nationals!

Thanks to all involved in putting on this competition, and congratulations to the winners and placers.

I entered only one beer, because of constraints on my brewing for some time due to a move to Port Stephens.

Really pleased to get an HC award, and the top marks in the Style within the Class. I only just got bumped by some bigger style beers.

Cheers to everyone who organised and ran this comp judges and stewards. Congrats to all the brewers :) Special thanks to Les again for organising drop off point. Im not sure I would have been able to enter if not for that. Needless to say I nearly fell off my chair to find I placed 2nd in American pale ale and 1st in IPA ! my first comp I have entered and im over the moon!! Look forward to seeing the feedback :)

Cheers again

7th, 8th and 10th in our categories (and a 23, oh well). Given it's our first comp and we've been brewing for only 4 months, we're stoked! :beerbang:

Cheers to the organisers/judges/stewards, and to everyone here on AHB who has given us advice, it's obviously working! Watch out next year when we'll have another year under our belts... :p

Really looking forward to seeing the judges' feedback.

just 1 question i got equal first in the pale ale class and finish 3rd and i got more points than 2nd place. iam michael kelly.

Latest posts

Back