Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu - appreciate all the hard work you put in to make it all happen.

Thank you!!

Because it hasn't been said yet... Thanks Stu! I'll eagerly wait for my feedback this week :)

Results in (finally I know) on the long awaited club aspect to the competition.

No surprises really with the Champion Brewer helping his club achieve total domination though ISB achieved a creditable second and IBU just pipping WSB to third.

Extra Special Brewers - 32 points
Inner Sydney Brewers - 16 points
Illawarra Brewers Union - 8 points
Western Sydney Brewers - 7 points
Hills Brewers Guild - 3 points
Sovereign Brewers - 3 points
Razorback Brewers - 2 points
Central Coast - 1 point

Good Day
Just to confirm The Brew Shop Peakhurst will be a drop off point NSW entries for the National. Must be dropped off before 5.30 pm Monday 29/9/2014. All care taken etc. Entries should be packaged securely when they are dropped off. They will be then packed well and put on a skip (small pallet), wrapped and sent to Canberra. If you can't drop them off it would be best to send them directly to Canberra.
Also those who gained first place in categories sponsored by The Brew Shop/ESB and Mangrove Jack your gift certificates will be sent out early next week.

Got my results back today. Thanks again to Stu and all involved, especially the judges. Alot of detailed and very helpful feedback from all, with just enough nice comments to give this newbie brewer some hope for the future! And some brilliant tips that will help next year!

GrantSpatchcock said:
Got my results back today. Thanks again to Stu and all involved, especially the judges. Alot of detailed and very helpful feedback from all, with just enough nice comments to give this newbie brewer some hope for the future! And some brilliant tips that will help next year!
Hopefully the tips will help before next year, starting with your very next brew.

Les the Weizguy said:
Hopefully the tips will help before next year, starting with your very next brew.
Sure hope so! Although in the past week I've put down a RIS, Old Ale and English Barleywine, so I'm gunna have to wait a year to see the results!

Gotta say, I'm really, really impressed with the level of feedback received. It's brilliant, most of it detailed, and even in my worst examples, there were tips and hints as to what will fix things up. Top work all.

Got my results today. Thanks to all involved.

I wanted to ask a question about using the whitelabs voucher.
Does anyone know where white labs yeast is stocked in NSW and if it would be possible to use online?

barleyman stock and will ship.
thats what ill be doing with my voucher

Yep, I'm happy to honour the White Labs vouchers. If you would like to redeem it without ordering anything else, just give me a call.

Sheets and prizes arrived yesterday. Thanks Stu for the great work.

Nick R, I'll be placing an order with you shortly to redeem my voucher for placing first in Mead. I have a White Labs voucher also. Do you need the card sent to you to claim back from WL? I'll probably come in to collect the order anyway.

Now to get WSB to enter more good beer. We're coming for you ESB.

Just a reminder, if you want your entries sent to Canberra via The Brew Shop Peakhurst they must be there before 5.30 pm next Monday 29/9/14.

Guys, no sign yet of any gift voucher / certificate etc from The Brew Shop (ESB) Peakhurst for the strong stouts win.. been quite a few weeks now. I haven't rung the shop yet but wondering how to follow up.

Last year I won a voucher in their own ESB comp and when I rang The Brew Shop to redeem the lads there didn't seem to know anything about prizes (no doubt handled by the ESB side of the business) - any chance of someone following up if they have a spare moment?

Looking to restock yeasts, hops etc and as usual will order a fair bit more on top as a thanx.

The gift certificates were printed and sent weeks ago. Yours was sent (I put it in the envelope myself). PM me your address and I fix it up with The Brew Shop. Something must have happen between there and the PO???

Not the first thing to go astray with Aus Post, my Malt book never arrived either.

Thanks Barry, have PM'd.

Hi guys,

Just reviving an old thread. I am hoping to make some NSW comp entries this year and hoping to find out if Castle Hill will again be the NSW state comp and get a vague idea when beers will likely need to be entered. I know it seems ridiculously early given it all happened in August last year but I am planning on entering a few lagers and this allows a bit of advance planning for fermentation/lagering etc.

Cheers,

Adam.

Not ridiculous at all. Good to get started on your plans. The Castle Hill competition this year will be on 22nd and 23rd August with drop off closing the week before.

We're still working out if this will be the state comp or not, with other possible options on the table as well. I'm hoping we can make a decision on that fairly soon so people can plan for both the state comp and our comp if both happen (and the more comps there are the better as far as I'm concerned). There's also the ESB comp in May as well so don't forget that one.

Stuster said:
Not ridiculous at all. Good to get started on your plans. The Castle Hill competition this year will be on 22nd and 23rd August with drop off closing the week before.

We're still working out if this will be the state comp or not, with other possible options on the table as well. I'm hoping we can make a decision on that fairly soon so people can plan for both the state comp and our comp if both happen (and the more comps there are the better as far as I'm concerned). There's also the ESB comp in May as well so don't forget that one.
Great, thanks Stu.

Given the Castle Hill show is on this weekend does anyone know if they're going to be handing out awards from the NSW Homebrew Comp? As per flyer:

Beer Awards:
In addition to prizes offered by sponsors, the following awards may be given by the Castle Hill and Hills District Show 2014/15. These will be awarded in time for the show which is held in March each year. Grand Champion Ribbon for Grand Champion Brewer, Champion Ribbon for Best in Show, Rosette and card will be awarded for beers placing 1st in each category, Ribbon and card will be awarded for beers placing 2nd & 3rd in each category

I'd be keen on getting the Rosette & Card for my Kolsch... But don't know if I have to be there or not, or if they're even doing anything...

Stu? Anyone?

Latest posts

Back