Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my feedback yesterday. Great to read some of the feedback as it confirms things that were in the back of my mind regarding these beers.

Barls your handwriting is one of the more readable out of my score sheets!

You must have been in the morning session then.

Yours was definitely the best hand writing out of mine to barls haha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

poor hand writing is one reason I work in IT. haha

sorry if it was me..

shouldabeenadoctorcroz

Pokey said:
Got my score sheets :)
Some good feedback in there, my favourite being "learn to brew"
Thanks Stu and all the judges
My Bad, sorry about that, IIRC it came second last in the day, sandwiched between a couple of pearlers and it really was a shocker.
Most everything was wrong with that one, I don't think it was just the bottle.
If you want to give me a call (number in the sig) be happy to talk through the brew and maybe offer some suggestions.
Mark

Edit: - Sry took the number out when I stoped retailing 02 4040 6697
M

Nuts.

The AusPost donkey must have gotten waylaid on its way to Queanbeyan (or refused to come here based on reputation).

MHB said:
My Bad, sorry about that, IIRC it came second last in the day, sandwiched between a couple of pearlers and it really was a shocker.
Most everything was wrong with that one, I don't think it was just the bottle.
If you want to give me a call (number in the sig) be happy to talk through the brew and maybe offer some suggestions.
Mark

Edit: - Sry took the number out when I stoped retailing 02 4040 6697
M
Wow, you don't mince words Mark.

AndrewQLD said:
Wow, you don't mince words Mark.
He did show contrition on the drive back home, if that counts. He did describe the beer to me and it seemed to have major flaws.
I think the brewer should take the opportunity to get feedback. Mark has helped with my brewing over the years. I wasn't always this awesome. (Yeah..., I was)

mckenry said:
My score sheets arrived today....

I also copped a "More like an APA" for my Amber and the exact opposite, "More like an Amber than an APA" - I wonder.....
Not as bad as the American IPA/American Wheat mix up.

Besides getting tips of how to adhere to style guidelines - what are some examples of feedback that people are getting which help their brewing?

I'm thinking the obvious like carbonation, sediment levels, clarity, head retention etc?

What else?

I've never entered a competition - just out of never having a style guideline beer ready at the right time.

This was my first comp so I was pretty stoked to get a 3rd place and the opportunity to go to nationals, but am a bit perplexed what happens next. Am I supposed to submit the same beer or am I free to submit a different one? And when/where are we to drop the beers off? Thanks for info and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.

mb-squared said:
This was my first comp so I was pretty stoked to get a 3rd place and the opportunity to go to nationals, but am a bit perplexed what happens next. Am I supposed to submit the same beer or am I free to submit a different one? And when/where are we to drop the beers off? Thanks for info and sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere.
AFAIK, you get to submit a beer in the same category as the one you placed in. Entries are due by 3 0ct, entry form is at AABC.com.au

ESB / brewshop may be acting as the drop off point as per a previous post, but I haven't specifically checked as yet

SnakeDoctor said:
Besides getting tips of how to adhere to style guidelines - what are some examples of feedback that people are getting which help their brewing?

I'm thinking the obvious like carbonation, sediment levels, clarity, head retention etc?

What else?

I've never entered a competition - just out of never having a style guideline beer ready at the right time.

Outside of the style guidelines there are sometimes minor faults that they pick up on. I had a mild that I entered that was suggested that there was some astringency and there could have been over extraction which was correct; I had an oops and lost some litres of wort and tried to make up for it by sparging more. For some people they may be oversparging brews regularly and this could be great advice. Sometimes you get comments that miss the mark. I had one where a northern brown ale was said that hops were not noticeable but later it said there was a strange ester that was overwhelming. In reality this "ester" was styrian goldings cube hopped at about 3x what the beer should have been hopped with. The hops were overpowering for the beer and didn't let the malt shine through at all. The beer was very fresh and probably just finished carbonating so I expect the beer to balance out better over time.

Much of the stylistic criticism is quite useful as well. you may have made a genuine effort to match a style and they may point out ways in which you missed which may be a control point for all your beers you are giving less attention to. For example an american ale with excessive esters could highlight yeast or fermentation management issues that you might need to address.

I reckon one of the big issues is lack of good, readily available commercial examples in Oz of many of the styles. Say Kolsch. There's 4 pines in a couple of local BSs or a skunky bottle of sunner in my local dans. The 4 pines is ok ish but crap compared to my memory of the nectar that's served in cologne. And the sunner wasn't even drinkable. But i last visited cologne 15ish years ago, so any kolsch I try to brew now is little more than a stab in the dark based on long ago memories.

And that's just one example. At a guess I'd say at least 50% of BJCP styles don't have an easily available locally made example, so at best your only comparison is an import of dubious age. Difficult to nail a style without multiple bone fide reference points

SnakeDoctor said:

What else?

I remember giving feedback about oxidation, freshness and hop character freshness on a few occasions, as well as astringency, but can't assuming that the beers were boiled or all-grain.

Blind Dog said:
I reckon one of the big issues is lack of good, readily available commercial examples in Oz of many of the styles. Say Kolsch. There's 4 pines in a couple of local BSs or a skunky bottle of sunner in my local dans. The 4 pines is ok ish but crap compared to my memory of the nectar that's served in cologne. And the sunner wasn't even drinkable. But i last visited cologne 15ish years ago, so any kolsch I try to brew now is little more than a stab in the dark based on long ago memories.

And that's just one example. At a guess I'd say at least 50% of BJCP styles don't have an easily available locally made example, so at best your only comparison is an import of dubious age. Difficult to nail a style without multiple bone fide reference points
Potter's Brewery (Hunter Brewing Co) make a great range of beers, and the Kölsch was originally designed after the brewer spent a lot of time in Köln. If you get a chance, like the guy in the Dilmah tea advertisement says, DO try it. I'm glad I don't live closer to their brewery or I'd be in there too often drinking the stuff, fwiw.

Blind Dog said:
AFAIK, you get to submit a beer in the same category as the one you placed in. Entries are due by 3 0ct, entry form is at AABC.com.au

ESB / brewshop may be acting as the drop off point as per a previous post, but I haven't specifically checked as yet
Blind Dog can double check the web reference it goes to an accounting firm for me... Thanks

Apologies, AABC.org.au

Just glad aabc.com.au wasn't something worse!

One of the things I like and also dislike is the descriptors.
Some judges write things like "low diacetyl", and give you a 14/20. - not much help really.
Some judges will write "low diacetyl, which is within guidelines for style" and give you 14/20. - better.

I understand there are hundreds of comments to be written, but a few extra words help. The best feedback has as much detail and description as possible. The guidleines for some beers are wide, for example "hop aroma can range from moderate to none", then your feedback says "some hop aroma" and you get a 7/12. Doesnt really say much.

It doesnt bother me really, the total number is the best way to tell. This is in answer to Snakedoctors question and some suggestions for judges.

Sorry about the delay for the winners. I got all the last things on Wednesday and packed everything up ready for posting. I've just had no time to get to the post office. Luckily my local post office is open on Saturday morning so all will go out then and should get to you early next week. Hope that clears up any concern that it's lost in the post. Not much longer now.
Stuart

Back