Castle Hill and NSW State Homebrewing Competition 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id also like to know who is able to deliver the entries? do we send them to one of the HBS...please advise.

normally its on your own back to get them there. saying that a few times one brew store has stepped up and offered to send them down for everyone who got them to the store.

donald_trub said:
Thanks to everyone involved in the comp! Can't wait to get my feedback in the mail. My 2 beers went better than expected. I cracked my pale ale on the weekend and I wasn't that impressed by it, so I'm keen for the next comp to be more prepared.

With the judging, is everyone certified BJCPs?
We had one or two commercial brewers in there as well (shoutout to Sam @ King St), not sure if they had BJCP.

moodgett said:
I emailed that about 4 days ago
ACT champs is this weekend so as you can imagine our comp guys are pretty swamped. I am sure you'll get a reply soon.

Score sheets were sent out to all those without prizes. So anyone who didn't get a first or second place should get their feedback from the judges tomorrow or Friday.

I still have to get the White Labs prizes from the show office (who haven't been answering the phone for some reason) but should be able to get most of the rest out by the end of the week.

We don't organise the send out of the beers to the Nationals. (No cash to spare for that I'm afraid.) As barls said, that's really up to you now but it would be good if some bulk delivery to there could be made.

I'm happy to act as a drop-off point and to ship the beer to Canberra (or release it to someone who's driving up in time for the comp).

Open 8am-2pm Monday to Friday and 10-1 Sunday. Can store refrigerated or room temp as required.

All care, but no responsibility taken!

Mr. No-Tip said:
ACT champs is this weekend so as you can imagine our comp guys are pretty swamped. I am sure you'll get a reply soon.
No worries thats understandable:)

Cheers mate

Not meaning to push anyone along, but thought I'd check to see if score sheets have gone out yet as I haven't received mine. Or an I meant to get it from the LHBS?

Not meaning to push anyone along, but thought I'd check to see if score sheets have gone out yet as I haven't received mine. Or an I meant to get it from the LHBS?
did you read post 207?

donald_trub said:
Stuster said:
Score sheets were sent out to all those without prizes. So anyone who didn't get a first or second place should get their feedback from the judges tomorrow or Friday.

Just received my score sheets so if you don't get them today, should be tomorrow.

Talked to Col today. Like the last few years they will be a drop off point for national entries, The Brew Shops at Peakhurst and Campbelltown. They will put them on a skip and send them to Canberra. This way the entries will be wrapped, upright and stabilised to some degree. All care taken etc. If you can't drop them off it would be best to send them direct to Canberra to avoid double handling. Due dates will be set shortly depending on National Comp requirements.

void said:
Just received my score sheets so if you don't get them today, should be tomorrow.
My score sheets arrived today. Thanks to all the judges for their insights, except the judge that wrote in Egyptian hieroglyphics :lol: I cant make much of that....
I dont have any beers left to re-taste, but appreciate the comments. Seems I'm a little shy with hops, be it American or English.
Some points I found noteworthy;
For the same beer - One judge said "Low head, poor retention" and the other said "Off white head, good retention"
For another - One said "Thin off white head that persists" the other "poor head retention".
Different people, different thoughts. Nuances of judging.
I also copped a "More like an APA" for my Amber and the exact opposite, "More like an Amber than an APA" - I wonder.....

Still, got some good scores and some feedback to work with. Hopefully next year I can get the timing right and stop being so tight with the hops!! :p

All in all, I'd like to thank everyone involved. Sounds like a slick operation and from all reports, everything went well.
Thanks for your efforts and the feedback already.

mckenry said:
My score sheets arrived today. Thanks to all the judges for their insights, except the judge that wrote in Egyptian hieroglyphics :lol: I cant make much of that....
I dont have any beers left to re-taste, but appreciate the comments. Seems I'm a little shy with hops, be it American or English.
For the same beer - One judge said "Low head, poor retention" and the other said "Off white head, good retention"
For another - One said "Thin off white head that persists" the other "poor head retention".
I also copped a "More like an APA" for my Amber and the exact opposite, "More like an Amber than an APA" - I wonder.....

Still, got some good scores and some feedback to work with. Hopefully next year I can get the timing right and stop being so tight with the hops!! :p

All in all, I'd like to thank everyone involved. Sounds like a slick operation and from all reports, everything went well.
Sometimes the glass can obviously affect the head retention/perception. Most judges if head is an issue will consult with the other judge to see if they pick up the same problem. They may also pour more in from the jug to see if that raises the head.

What you're saying shows exactly why your beer is judged by two judges.

Got my score sheets :)
Some good feedback in there, my favourite being "learn to brew"
Thanks Stu and all the judges

mckenry said:

apologies if it was me that you cant read. what name was it.

Latest posts

Back