Cascade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of this hop?

• 5- Awesome! Use it a lot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4- Really good

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3- All right, but it has flaws

• 2- Not a big fan, I prefer many others

• 1- Eww, why do you guys use this stuff?

• Total voters
^ a good example of the above is Epic Pale Ale. 100% US Cascade. Such depth of flavour, achieved by multiple heavy handed additions during the boil and also multi staged dry hopping. :drool: I want one right now.

Liam_snorkel said:
^ a good example of the above is Epic Pale Ale. 100% US Cascade. Such depth of flavour, achieved by multiple heavy handed additions during the boil and also multi staged dry hopping. :drool: I want one right now.

Haha, yeah, that beer is amazing fresh.

Damn it, now I'm thinking of pouring a beer and watching the football.

Mmmmm..... Oranje Cascade.

When I said I don't think I'd use it on it's own - I think I like my APA/AIPA with multifaceted hopping (but not too many as I find this just muddies the flavour).

It's a bit like SMaSH beers - I've been there, done that for education, and even Citra is a hop, which I love, but I'm not fond of without some sort of backup. It's more the one-dimensionality of one hop APA/AIPA.

Whereas for an English Ale - great to one hop beers. I reckon an early addition of Cascade would suit it, with a Willamette backup - just a small bit later on.

This thread has got me planning a brew with the epic pale ale schedule with cascade flowers (got a big bag taunting me from inside the fridge) and an English ale yeast.

Liam_snorkel said:
This thread has got me planning a brew with the epic pale ale schedule with cascade flowers (got a big bag taunting me from inside the fridge) and an English ale yeast.

It's convinced me to go back to Cascade for my pale next time around, I've been using Chinook recently (another hop that really holds it own in a pale if used with a gentle touch).

I just did a couple brews with a blend of US, NZ and Oz Cascade. (Thanks to Yob for the NZ and Oz flowers!) I'm really liking them, although they're still young. We'll see once they're fully conditioned, but I'm hoping to get some of each of the different flavor profiles.

ATM I'd describe the US as citrus/dank, the NZ as more fruity floral with a touch of vanilla, and the Oz as somewhere in the vicinity of a citrusy pineapple. I didn't really find the NZ to be that tropical at all, thankfully. I'm not a huge fan of tropical fruit hop flavors (read: passionfruit).

How are you able to discern the differences if they're being used in a blend?

I reckon it is more citrusy (though I've only used US) if combined with Citra and makes Citra more tropical and stonefruity than normal. Great combo.

Even better with a small early bittering and some Chinook late to give some pine cone woodiness to offset the fruit salad.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I reckon it is more citrusy (though I've only used US) if combined with Citra and makes Citra more tropical and stonefruity than normal. Great combo.

Even better with a small early bittering and some Chinook late to give some pine cone woodiness to offset the fruit salad.

Another really great combo is 10 IBUs of neutral hop at 60, 5 to 10 IBUs of Chinook at 15, equal parts US Cascade and Riwaka at 5 or whirlpool to get up to 40/45 IBUs total.

I really need to find somewhere to get pounds of Riwaka, The 90g limit from Craft Brewer doesn't stretch far enough doing doubles.

stakka82 said:
How are you able to discern the differences if they're being used in a blend?
We'll just have to see about that, now won't we? :) That's part of the exercise. Is it different from straight US Cascade in those beers? The differences were evident in the hop teas I made to taste them but we all know with hops the proof is in the beer pudding.

The late and dry hopping that is in 2 Brothers Growler is an amazing display at how good Cascade is. I don't brew enough APA's to know how they have got that particular flavour and aroma from the hop, maybe its time I brew couple and throw the Cascade kitchen sink at it, late.

I dry hop a "Wal's Pale Ale" in the cube with 60g of Cascade, & 15-20g Galaxy, for 5 days minimum. Gives a really nice aroma to the finished beer. I've also replaced the Galaxy with Nelson for pleasing results.

Anyone with further comments on AUS cascade? I like the grapefruit from us cascade and just picked up some AUS to see what it brings to the party.

Broona when you say cube dry hop are you fermenting in the cube

Well for anyone playing at home, I'm finding AUS cascade to be more grassy and earthy than the big hits of grapefruit from US cascade.

It's a fairly fresh beer so will see how it ages over the next few weeks, it is a little harsher so that may mellow out and reduce that grassiness.

Versatile hop.

I have found bittering from Cascade unpleasant, and yet one excellent and successful US lager, Riverwest Stein beer, uses it as a bittering hop at -2 hours. Who knows what they do right and I do wrong?

Agree with the above dry hop recommendation. As a dry hop it brings a lovely floral aroma it's hard to get any other way, but don't leave it in more than two days unless you like grass.

I'd dispute the above substitutions.

Agree it's one of the best hops to use alone for flavour and aroma, for the combination of floral and fruit, but in US Cascade the fruit contribution is distinctive but not overwhelming; the grapefruit character seems to vary a lot. Some AIPA brewers trash Cascade in favour of thermonuclear hops like Citra.

It combines well with many other hops. I've liked it with, variously, Galaxy, Simcoe, Nelson, Amarillo and Waimea, but in combination with any of those hops Cascade is always at least 2/3 of any late additions, so it doesn't get lost. Somewhere I saw an interview with the first commercial grower of Cascade, and she said their first buyers were mostly British breweries, before Sierra Nevada made it an American icon. I haven't tried it with popular British hops, Styrian Goldings, Saaz or other fairly subtle hops.

Back