Magnum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menoetes

Reaction score
Aroma No real distinct aroma character, so is viewed favorably as a clean bittering hop.
Alpha Acid 12 - 14% w/w
Beta Acid 4.5 - 6% w/w
Cohumulone 24 - 28% of alpha acids
Storageability Very good alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20°C
Total Oil 1.9 - 2.3 mls/100 grams
Myrcene 30 - 35% of whole oil
Humulene 34 - 40% of whole oil
Carophyllene 8 - 12% of whole oil
Farnesene <1% of whole oil
General Trade Perception Gaining increasing acceptance as a clean bittering hop.
Possible Substitutions German Magnum, possibly Horizon
Typical Beer Styles Good bittering hop for all Ales and Lagers
Additional Information Limited acreage in the US, but widely grown in Germany.
Typical Hop Use Bittering
No-one has put up a Magnum hop description yet which I find a little surprising as it is (in my opinion) a widely used hop. Maybe it's because Magnum is almost solely used as a clean (flavourless?) bittering hop. However I feel it has it's place here if only for the sake of informing newer brewers to it's highly valued place in brewing.

Personally I've never used it for flavor or aroma before but as a bittering hop (eg. at a 60 min addition) I don't know it's equal. If all I'm looking for is smooth bitterness without any lingering flavour to interfere with my later additions - Magnum is my go-to guy.

Besides that I have also found it to be great value for money. I bought a 100g pack over a year and a half ago as one of my very first ever hop purchases and with as little as is needed (due to high AA%) at the start of each brew - I still have 1/3 of that pack left today. A little goes a long way.

What a great, behind-the-scenes, hard working hop. I appreciate you Magnum!

- Meno

I have used it dry and whirlpool. It was interesting with some spicy notes. Went well.

Whats the difference between German and US.

Just bought some to use to bitter an IPA, assumed it would be German but got US grown.

Same story with me menoetes. I purchased 500g back in 2009 and still have just over half left. Being such a clean hop I still think there is some pleasant flavour that comes through. Starting to prefer one addition of magnum at FWH for a weizen then to add late additions of noble hops.

I had a s&w pacific ale clone made by someone in the know, they used magnum (German) over galaxy as the bittering addition and it was fantastic.

I've recently used some in a porter and it was also fantastic. Clean and smooth.

Latest posts

Back