Cascade For Amarillo?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hey guys, there's a brew i want to put down TODAY but the local hb shop is all out of amarillo hops. They have a substitution chart which says cascade can be used in place???? The brew is from the thread 'Everyone should make this': http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=35657

I'm not usually the patient sort so should i suck it up and wait or would they be okay?
Cheers lads,
Rob

I reckon it'll turn out fuggin marvellous with Cascade :)

Cascade and amarillo offer different flavours so the brew will be different. I wouldn't suggest they are a blow for blow subsitute.

However their flavours are complementary and a brew with any combination of centennial, cascade and amarillo would work, all other things being equal. I have a regular all amarillo brown ale that at its best comes out like mandarins and nuts. The nuttiness is from the malts, the mandarins from the amarillo. I've recently used centennial and cascade together and centennial with a noble hop. I'd describe cascade as grapefruity and centennial like oranges. Hopefully that gves an indication of what to expect. Your mileage may obviously vary.

Latest posts

Back