Mr B's All Grain Adventure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The actial tun itself. This will sit inside a 90l pot. Recirc back into it. Then pulleys to lift. Undecided on sparging or not, may have to whip up a HLT.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458982968.941100.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458983000.205228.jpg

This holds the false bottom to the keg. A bit of stainless over the top (now bottom) fitting, and a fabbed long bolt to hold it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458983038.075384.jpg

And the lifting tabs on the mash tun. It weighs about 12kg in itself, so have a 3 pulley reduction to lift it. Its going to be pretty bloody heavy.

Hoping to do a brew on Monday, we'll see how we go with relos over tomoz.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1458983405.841918.jpg

Fixed pumps to a chopping board to hold them stable. Will eventually end up on a brew stand. Free handle included, noice.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459067929.289492.jpg

Mash tun sits inside the 90l kettle like so
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459067967.965724.jpg

Lifted out

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459067990.435751.jpg

Bottom of mash tun

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459068009.756941.jpg

At the moment, I will likely run this on my NASA burner, quasi BIAB. Wrap it up for the mash, maybe recircing, maybe use gas to hold temps though it may be a bit fiddly.

In a couple of weeks I should have a PID controller and HERMS sorted. Just need to finalise a herms vessel, then will have a herms mash and gas boil.

Will move to 3v eventually, waiting on a couple of extra pots. May or may not come through, we shall see. Will be a sweet little 1v w/herms in the meantime.

Wont get to brew tomoz, but may get to do a leak test. Next weekend......

Edit: This is a good middle ground in the transition to a 3v. I can recirc 1v (using herms and/or gas with a wort flow over the primary heating area through the concentrated bottom output), and also use the mash tun part as either a HLT with an element through the bottom or just triclover it off, or triclover an output to the bottom and herms recirc. So it is either a 1v or 3v component. Love the making the bottom the top option.......

Did a 55l batch on the weekend. Sorted a functioning ramp/soak pid and learned how to program it. Got a Target kettle for HERMS - cant beat $7.50, but its not shiny.

Test setup. Kettle HERMS w/Herm-it coil. Need to get a couple of compression fittings for the coil, but hose fits anyway. I did manage to acquire a stainless thing that I will use to make a proper HERMS vessel

Heating to strike.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459765271.793139.jpg

Pulley system for lifting mash tun. Worked well.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459765308.891470.jpg

Just mashed in. Hose recircing outside tun for 5 mins, as I understand grain should soak for this long before recirc. Not sure how critical this is but taking no chances on first try....

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459765339.444104.jpg

Mashing away. I did a full volume mash. Not sure, will maybe use less strike water and do a sparge next time to get more head for flow through the bottom.

It coped with almost full flow from a keg king pump, but only just. There wasnt much mixing with the water between the two pots, not ideal. Later when mashing out I raised the tun a little with the pulley, this helped, might be the go. Undecided.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459765366.946080.jpg

Temp lagging a degree or so behind set temp.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459765405.932918.jpg

I was aiming for 1.057, ended up with 1.048, so not so good.

Could be the crush, as I opened the mill a little. Could also be the temp or the lack of mixing as above. Maybe less mash volume and a sparge.

Undecided as yet.

All good fun, will brew again this weekend as I have an order for the Godson's christening.

There were also a heap of little tail ends of grain, which I assume were from the malting process. Never noticed these before. Is this normal? Can see them floating on top of the mash if you look closely above.

Interesting to see your journey, thanks for documenting.
Did you consistently fix your lower SG on your original BIAB?

I"m a novice BIAB with either a BIGW 19L pot, a 38L crab pot or a small urn and I always overshoot my SG by about 4 to 5 points.
I do stir a bit at the beginning to make sure I have no dough balls, then sparge and/or dunk sparge with a fair bit of squeezing at the end.
I personally think its the sparging that pushes it up?

Yep, got pretty consistent efficiency, probably a bit above 70% brewhouse.

So not super awesome, and that continued to bother me. Also the amount of trub as I stirred a fair bit. Just process improvements needed really.

I tried sparging of a sort (put the bag in an empty coopers fermentor w/tap, and sparge into that, but not many litres), didnt notice a real improvement but didnt really chase the process.

Family went away this week, so evenings afforded an opportunity for tinkering in the garage.

3600w HERMS complete. It holds a bit over 3 litres.

I was fortunate to come across a stainless item that suited the purpose, so took to it with the grinder and welder.

Should have a bitr more oomph than a target kettle.....

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1460773643.597893.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1460773670.047160.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1460773695.016672.jpg

Small hole drilled in between the nuts to show any leakage.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1460773716.501888.jpg

Also upgraded the controller wiring to 15A and put a led element indicator. Will throw a RCD in it this week. Loooking looking for enclosures to make a nice one, add another pid for HLT, pump switches etc.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1460773742.337515.jpg

Cant wait to give it a run next weekend. Maybe a stout perhaps..

I'm also trying to source triclover fittings so the mash tun wont have to sit in the main pot. Looking looking. Will come out the bottom, through a ball valve etc. Really need a bit bigger tun though, its pushing it with a 50-55l batch.

Back