First AG Brew, Bosco IPA - BIAB

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew day is over, I've cleaned up and just waiting on the wort to cool down slightly before I put it into the cube.

I did an 80 minute/ 65C mash (because I got distracted) with a 15 minute/ 78C sparge (slightly higher than I wanted, the grain retained more heat than I anticipated within the cooler mashtun)
In total, I got 15L of wort preboil, with a gravity of 1.060. After an hours boil, I had 11.5L @ 1.074

According to BrewMate, that's a 70% efficiency :D FINALLY!
So happy that my method was right, though disappointed that the closest HBS doesn't have good enough grain to brew AG with...

This attempt was:

87.5% Maris Otter Pale Malt
12.5% Crystal 60

60 min boil
20% Magnum @ 45min
30% Magnum @ 20min
Whirfloc @ 15min

50% Citra @ second fermentation

Will let you know how this one goes, still trying to figure out the best way to achieve my Bosco IPA recipe, enjoying coming up with my own :)
BTW, Bosco my new born son's nick name, so want to do the recipe justice.

I purchased a 19L Stainless pot at Big W today, that together with the 15.5L pot and my 19L cooler mashtun makes it a 3 vessel I guess :D
I ran the boil on a camping stove this time, because I could get it running on two burners. It wasn't quite powerful enough, I had to run it on max during the entire boil.
I'll be building a stand for all of it now I think! This hobby is too addictive :D

cheers
Martin

The second Bosco IPA was bottled up last week, I did it with no-chill as I've probably mentioned and the bitterness is very tasty :D
I even managed to do a bit of dry hopping, though I don't get too much of the floral components from the hops. The nearly 100 IBUs seems like a pretty fair estimate from Brew Mate...

Everyone loves pictures, and I just made some labels for a few bottles that I'm taking for a bit of a tasting with some mates ;)
bosco_ipa_2_may2014.jpg

Cheers
Martin

Hey guys,

Well, it's been a while since I started creating my own IPA recipe, and I'm now on the fifth incarnation of this, plus a clone of Big Eye...
A few changes for this version, based on the trials I've done thus far:
  • The grain bill will include Caramalt, rather than Crystal 60, the percentage is slightly less as well.
  • I'm doing a longer mash time to the process, primarily to get a dryer finish. I often feel that these IPAs are a bit too sweet, and reading Mitch Steele's book on IPA, I want to get a much lower FG.
    Although I'm not quite ready to play with
    Brettanomyces yet, the thought has stricken me, perhaps when I start playing with some of the recipes in the book I'll order some for a 5L test batch...
  • Trialling different hops and combinations of these, I've found a love for Citra. The experimentation continues, and that's just great IMO. In this case, there's going to be a bit of a bitter base hops, with citrus flavours from the Citra and Melon, Apricot and Citrus from Summer
Here's to the great hobby of brewing beer, beer experimentation and beer drinking :kooi:
Cheers
Martin
Bosco IPA 5 (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol (ABV): 5.99 %
Colour (SRM): 5.3 (EBC): 10.4
Bitterness (IBU): 73.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

96.92% Pale Malt
3.08% Caramalt

1.7 g/L Columbus (13.9% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Citra (13% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Whirlpool/ Cube Hopped)
1.3 g/L Summer (AU) (5.5% Alpha) (Dry Hop into Secondary)

1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

I have yet to try the 'fabled' Citra - I'm just getting used to the passionfruit of Galaxy.
Must say very nice labels - bit of class.

haha, thanks, they're off an online website I found a while back, this one I think: http://www.beerlabelizer.com/

It's been pretty good to run through a bunch of different types of hops. I'm happy I started off on 15L batches, great size for learning and adjusting. In just over 3 months, I've made nearly 10 batches and really enjoyed it.
I'm now changing to a bigger setup, as I don't get quite as many 4 hours periods to brew as I used to...

Back