Advice on APA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

planning on putting this on today. Let me know if there's anything I should tweak

Batch size 21 litre

Coopers Lager Kit
1.5kg Liquid LME
500g Light DME
200g Light Crystal (40-60)
US-05

Steep grain for 30mins at 65-70

5litre boil
10mins - 15g Citra & 15g Cascade
0min - 10g Citra & 10g Cascade

Allow to sit in ice bath for 20mins & then everything into the FV at 18 degrees

Day 14 Dry Hop with 10g Citra & 10g Cascade

Day 21 Bottle - going to try bulk priming for the first time

Other ingredients on hand
crystal Light & Dark
Galaxy
Cascade
Amarillo
Mosiac
Citra
Amber Malt
Wheat Malt
Light Malt

Looks good.
Go with that for sure, should be nice.

Magnaman said:
That recipe should even make the Lager kit taste good. :)
Only kit I had at home :) normally use the coopers pale ale.

In the FV with the yeast pitched at 22 degrees. I did up the flame out cascade to 15g...,,it just smelt so good.

What wheat malt do you have? Dry or liquid? I'd be tempted to replace some of the light extract with wheat. The only other thing I'd do would be to increase the hopping rates a touch.

I just finished a batch of galaxy ale made with a very similar recipe, it was delicious!

tj2204 said:
What wheat malt do you have? Dry or liquid? I'd be tempted to replace some of the light extract with wheat. The only other thing I'd do would be to increase the hopping rates a touch.

I just finished a batch of galaxy ale made with a very similar recipe, it was delicious!
All my malt is coopers liquid. Pretty sure my local doesn't sell any dried malts other than light & dark. Which makes splitting batches difficult.

I've got another FV so I might throw down a 50/50 amber light full extract with the galaxy and mosaic. But open to ideas if you want to post your recipe.

Mosaic & Galaxy would be a nice combo. You could also throw down a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale using the Amarillo.

I've moved on to extract only now, if I remember correctly the Galaxy ale was:

Coopers lager
1kg light dme
500gm wheat dme
Galaxy at 15, 5 and dry (can't remember the weights but about 70gm all up I think)

tj2204 said:
Mosaic & Galaxy would be a nice combo. You could also throw down a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale using the Amarillo.

I've moved on to extract only now, if I remember correctly the Galaxy ale was:

Coopers lager
1kg light dme
500gm wheat dme
Galaxy at 15, 5 and dry (can't remember the weights but about 70gm all up I think)
This also had
250 gm caramalt
50 gm carapils
And us-05 for the yeast.

I shouldn't be posting when I'm on the beers!

14 days? And 21 days? Just test as you go. I highly doubt it would take 2 weeks to ferment out. Then 1 week of dry hop? Too long for both. Probably done fermenting in 1 week and I would dry hop the last 2 or 3 days of that. Just trust you hydrometer and taste.

Looks like a good recipe, except......MORE HOPS late in the boil & dry hop
;-)

Latest posts

Back