Cascade, Amarillo & Fuggle Hop Bulk Buy ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Aaron. Found it. Phone them tomorrow from work.

Hopeye said:
Just my 2 cents, but, which HBS complained to Hopco about them selling directly to craftbrewers. Also, why would Hopco listen to 1 HBS ?? Being the capitalist world that this is, why would Hopco refuse a decent order from a group of craftbrewers ??
[post="108498"][/post]​

I would suggest all concerned HBers should EMAIL Hopco ([email protected]) voicing their concerns. For years Hopco have advertised their willingness to sell to homebrewers and probably been rewarded by our patronage. I cannot see why they have suddenly changed their stance.
There are other distributers of hops out there (hops can be purchased from over seas for less than the exorbident prices being charged by HB shops) and there are other suppliers in Australia selling bulk hops too (www.bintani.com.au) email [email protected]. (No affiliation yada yada). Hopefully Hopco will see better of their decision and continue to supply to home brewers.

cheers
Darren

BTW anyone interested in some Amarillo we have almost a 5kg order ready to go?

cheers
Darren

Id take a stab at grumpys. I saw some stuff when i did a search last night for other wholesalers where thay had a piss and moan on OCB once before about it.

I want 2kg of saaz for myself too. Anyone else wanting to join in at cost is welcome.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:

cheers
Darren
[post="108542"][/post]​

I'll take a Kg of that if it's still available.

10 kilos isn't out of the question hopeye. I will need to speak to my spreadsheet guy and see whats remaining

Hopeye said:
Just my 2 cents, but, which HBS complained to Hopco about them selling directly to craftbrewers. Also, why would Hopco listen to 1 HBS ?? Being the capitalist world that this is, why would Hopco refuse a decent order from a group of craftbrewers ?? Has anyone other than Ross have the contact details for Hopco ???

Don't mean to rain on your parade Ross, but, I'd just like independent confirmation.
[post="108498"][/post]​
Hopeye,

Just read your thread & reply from hopco here:

Dear Ross

I just got my ass fried by one of our good customers for selling to home brewers. He put me on to the Aussie Home Brewers forum where I see you have posted our price list.

I have now decided to sell all the hops under the house here and any future broken down 5 kg packs to one customer.

We will no longer be selling anything to people who dont own a home brew shop or micro brewery.

Kind regards

Sandy Ross

Hopco Pty Ltd

Phone: 03 6225 1596

Fax: 03 6225 2879

Mobile: 0403 005 248

Not that I feel it's necessary to provide proof - I'm not in the habit of posting lies... but anyway, I hope you will post an apology when you get confirmation from Hopco in due course - I expect everything that Darren throws, but that's par for the course ;)

cheers Ross...

Hi,

I have just emailed both HopCo and Bintani enquiring whether each still sell hops for bulk purchase. I know this is an additional wait for hops, but, I did not originally post this thread under Bulk Buy and string it out until....(slap your hands David !!).

Let's see what my enquiries come up with and hopefully we will still have a middleman free purchase option.

I hope this post passes the censors roster !!.

Beers,
David

Ross said:
Hopeye said:
Just my 2 cents, but, which HBS complained to Hopco about them selling directly to craftbrewers. Also, why would Hopco listen to 1 HBS ?? Being the capitalist world that this is, why would Hopco refuse a decent order from a group of craftbrewers ?? Has anyone other than Ross have the contact details for Hopco ???

Don't mean to rain on your parade Ross, but, I'd just like independent confirmation.
[post="108498"][/post]​
Hopeye,

Just read your thread & reply from hopco here:

Dear Ross

I just got my ass fried by one of our good customers for selling to home brewers. He put me on to the Aussie Home Brewers forum where I see you have posted our price list.

I have now decided to sell all the hops under the house here and any future broken down 5 kg packs to one customer.

We will no longer be selling anything to people who dont own a home brew shop or micro brewery.

Kind regards

Sandy Ross

Hopco Pty Ltd

Phone: 03 6225 1596

Fax: 03 6225 2879

Mobile: 0403 005 248

Not that I feel it's necessary to provide proof - I'm not in the habit of posting lies... but anyway, I hope you will post an apology when you get confirmation from Hopco in due course - I expect everything that Darren throws, but that's par for the course ;)

cheers Ross...
[post="108552"][/post]​

Ross,
I got confirmation from Hopco today that they will sell 5 kilos to anybody. Its just the broken down packs that are taboo.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Ross,
I got confirmation from Hopco today that they will sell 5 kilos to anybody. Its just the broken down packs that are taboo.

cheers
Darren
[post="108557"][/post]​

Not what they told me - but if you want to buy 5 kilos of one hop type & split it up, go for it :) - no skin off my nose . Good to see you putting your hand up for once -I won't mention your grain enterprise, hey ;) ...

Hopco, told me, as per the email I posted & several phone callls that they are not interested in supplying direct to home brewers - I am not the sole receiver of this info, as several other posters here will hopefully confirm...

I have invested a considerable sum of money in setting up this enterprise, which I hope will be of benefit to all home brewers & of course myself. I welcome constructive critisism however at any time...

Cheers Ross...

Darren said:

cheers
Darren
[post="108542"][/post]​

So whats the price Darren.
I've Pm'ed you twice asking for a price.

johnno

Johnno,
I am not near my laptop at the moment. I will post prices tomorrow.

cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Johnno,
I am not near my laptop at the moment. I will post prices tomorrow.

cheers
Darren
[post="108560"][/post]​

Excellent.

Sounds great.

johnno

well ross i think you have good support from ahb ....

Ross said:
Darren said:
Ross,

cheers
Darren
[post="108557"][/post]​

Not what they told me - but if you want to buy 5 kilos of one hop type & split it up, go for it :) - no skin off my nose . Good to see you putting your hand up for once -I won't mention your grain enterprise, hey ;) ...

Hopco, told me, as per the email I posted & several phone callls that they are not interested in supplying direct to home brewers - I am not the sole receiver of this info, as several other posters here will hopefully confirm...

I have invested a considerable sum of money in setting up this enterprise, which I hope will be of benefit to all home brewers & of course myself. I welcome constructive critisism however at any time...

Cheers Ross...
[post="108558"][/post]​

Sorry Ross, but, I believe that you have made a mistake. Please make a fool of yourself and mention my "Grain Enterprise" because there is none. I am a computer programmer who brews his own at home, that's it. If you can find any evidence that I am invovled in any commercial enterprise (such as yourself) and present it in front of the AHB panel, then said evidence will be a forgery. I have no commercial connections to home brewing. I just resent being taken for a ride.

Ross,
As far as i am concerned you can sell the hops. I am really just interested in the short term supply to get me through the winter. Also, hope your prices (when we see them) don't skyrocket to HB shop prices.

cheers
Darren

Just saw the post above mine. There obviously has been some confusion. I do sell malt. Sorry hopeye I think it was directed at me.
As anyone who has bought malt off me will attest that it is at around cost (freight and phone calls included). I am an avid homebrewer who just wants to help others make good inexpensive beer.
I am not a commercial enterprise but more of a co-operative enterprise.

cheers
Darren

As some one that has not brought off of darren but has come across several other brewers that have, they all speak highly of him and the prices that he quotes.

Lets hope that Ross's endvour is of benifit to all that use ABH including himself. The more choices we have i feel the better it is.

Some show concerns to the HB shops, well they will still run as it seems that only 10 or so people take up bulk buys and other deals on the go. So hardly a dent in there profits.

Look forward to the direction of this all.

Cheers David

Wow...... this is all heading to custard!

My2c worth....

I don't mind paying for hops, it is a part of the process, but by shopping a bit smarter, I believe that there are better buys around than the LHBS is likely to be offering (note I said LIKELY.... I am sure there are some good shops out there). I have never purchased from Hopco, but they have always given my prices when requested, and seemed prepared to make a deal. This would be cheaper for me than buying from any LHBS, and of a known AA% (yes, some shops will sell you hops without a definate AA% on it.... "yeah, they will be between 4.5% and 7%"... really helpful) and also from a known crop year.
There is also generally available a bulk hop buy around this time of year for kilo packs of hops direct from the grower. Again, guaranteed crop year, measured AA%, not abused by being left on the shelf somewhere, and at a great price (hard to beat $13 a kilo for this years batch), however, limited varieties are available.
I have also used NZ hops, direct from the hop board (bit like our wheat board ;) ) for a very good price, fresh foil packed, lots of varieties including some czech stuff which they pelletise in NZ - around $2.50 to $3.00 per 100g. Sure you have to get it posted over, but customs don't have a problem so it is all good.
So now Ross is going to be selling hops (and doesn't sound like he is trying to retire off the enterprise). Great. Another option.... I reckon he will keep them in the fridge or freezer, he is going to vacuum pack, he will have a good selection of varieties, and he will sell to brewers and post it off.

We all get to choose how we spend our hop dollar.
If you think Ross is taking us for a ride, well, vote with your wallet, and use one of the other options which are still available. No choices are being lost to anyone here, just one more added.

Cheers
dreamboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back