Carlton Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand by my original comment, 'if you don't like the taste out of the fermenter, there is only a slight chance that you will like it 4 months later.'

Huh, all my beers improve with age? Even in the keg in the fridge. In fact they are normally tasting superb just as you get that dreaded foamy swoosh from the keg emptying :(

Seriously, I am the exact opposite. Every K&K and partial beer I have made has improved over time in the bottle.

I think what Pat is trying to describe is the taste out of the fermenter, minus all the green tastes you can assume will go in time...

The last few kits I've done I've tasted out the fermenter and gone "besides that horrid twang, it tastes alright, give it a few months and she'll be apples!", besides the "lagger" I made with 100% ale yeast, which I knew after tasting from the secondary, "ugggh this is gonna taste like pure shite". Not surprisingly I did, but the more unfortunate thing is I'm still drinking it :ph34r:

Guess it's one of those things you pick up with more brewing?

I don't know about this "green" flavour business. I guess over time, all strong flavours will go away, good or bad. if you have only good flavours coming out of the fermenter then the fresher the better. If you are having to wait for "green" flavours to disapear than there must be a problem in the brewing process.

Of course this is for ales only, lagers take time.

Its a fair bet that whatever kit you do, (I would recommend Coopers, Morgans or Muntons) if you use a little malt with it, and ferment it in a suitable range (18-20 degrees if you are using the under-the-lid yeast), then you will immediately have a result that is preferred above Carlton Shaught.

I would rate all of my concoctions (with the exception of 1 experiment) as being far better drinking than standard megaswill.

You will soon be mixing malts, sourcing better yeast and trying to standardise brewing environments.

Then partials, and maybe the leap of faith into all grain.

In short, YOU ARE DOOMED!

Welcome to the forum.

Fester.

Thanks for that,
So do you mean follow the exact instructions and add extra malt is that right??
Which brand would be the best to use??
Thanks again

It entirely depends upon what you have access to.

If you can get to a HBS, then I would suggest 1 or 1.5Kg of LME (Liquid malt extract), and one of the coopers premium range (The bitter is quite good)

If you are getting your kits from Coles or Woolies, then I would suggest Coopers Brewblend #2, and maybe a bit of DME (Dry malt extract).

Even using the kit supplied yeast, I would try and keep fermentation temperature at about 18-20 degrees. If you fermented the last brew at 24+, then that would probably be the aftertaste you mentioned.

Get amongst it, search the forum as if it was google, and dont be afraid to experiment. Most experiments will have been attempted by someone here.

Cheers,

Festa.

Just had another read over what I've written and am happy with the advice.

Re beer improving with age, of course that is true.

What I'm saying though is, that if it tastes awful before you even pitch the yeast, then no amount of ageing is likely to get it up to an acceptable level. If it tastes semi-OK before pitching then ageing will most likely get it over the line.

My main point is that some brewers find that kits often produce a distinct taste (astringency on the back and sides of the tongue) that simply does not reduce significantly with ageing. For many people's palate, this 'twang' can be over-powering. Othe people love it.

The only kit I've tasted without the twang was a stout made by Old-Dog. I've had 1 extract beer as well without the twang.

If Houso's palate is sensitive to the twang then I'd hate to see him go through a long and timely process where he thinks he is making brewing errors. Many people give up brewing because of that flavour.

Finally Houso, get the freshest kit you can get. Check out the Use By dates from as many places you can and shop from there. The younger the kit the less twang.

Cheers
PP

Just had another read over what I've written and am happy with the advice.

Re beer improving with age, of course that is true.

What I'm saying though is, that if it tastes awful before you even pitch the yeast, then no amount of ageing is likely to get it up to an acceptable level. If it tastes semi-OK before pitching then ageing will most likely get it over the line.

My main point is that some brewers find that kits often produce a distinct taste (astringency on the back and sides of the tongue) that simply does not reduce significantly with ageing. For many people's palate, this 'twang' can be over-powering. Othe people love it.

The only kit I've tasted without the twang was a stout made by Old-Dog. I've had 1 extract beer as well without the twang.

If Houso's palate is sensitive to the twang then I'd hate to see him go through a long and timely process where he thinks he is making brewing errors. Many people give up brewing because of that flavour.

Finally Houso, get the freshest kit you can get. Check out the Use By dates from as many places you can and shop from there. The younger the kit the less twang.

Cheers
PP

Thanks Guys,
I am pretty sure the brew is right as i followed the exact instructions i guess i just need to get used to it.
I just brewed a vb so we will see how that goes. :chug: :chug:

quickly, another plug for http://www.hbkitreviews.com.

It'll both give you an idea of comments on kit quality (for example the malt shovel kits are sometimes rated quite low even for the extra price), and how people made the kits (for example adding hops to secondary, making a hop tea, various mixes of dried/liquid malt extract, etc.), which will in turn give you ideas :)

I'll have to join most ppl here though, don't limit your brewing to VB and Draught, they're OK beers at the pub, but you can do better with some effort.

Thanks Guys,
I placed the fermenter inside the house with heater on and away she went again :D :D

Latest posts

Back