Carlton Black Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuggetron

Reaction score
looking for a k&k carlton black clone if available, probably be putting it down early feb i have a fridge which i have on for 3-4 hours a day 11-3 just to protect it from the extreme heats
any recipes or recommendations?
cheers

looking for a k&k carlton black clone if available, probably be putting it down early feb i have a fridge which i have on for 3-4 hours a day 11-3 just to protect it from the extreme heats
any recipes or recommendations?
cheers

Try something like coopers dark ale and home brand daught kit together, steep 300g of choc crystal,ferment 19deg with so4 yeast will give you a nice dark beer

Cheers sav

Try something like coopers dark ale and home brand daught kit together, steep 300g of choc crystal,ferment 19deg with so4 yeast will give you a nice dark beer

Cheers sav

whats choc crystal? how do you use it?

Had a schooner of this at my local last night with dinner (best of a very sad selection of blonde/lowcarb/with a twist of lemon selection). To me it tastes quite sweet, not sure if that comes from a low attenuating yeast (I doubt it) or the addition of some unfermentables e.g. crystal or maltodex?

Had a schooner of this at my local last night with dinner (best of a very sad selection of blonde/lowcarb/with a twist of lemon selection). To me it tastes quite sweet, not sure if that comes from a low attenuating yeast (I doubt it) or the addition of some unfermentables e.g. crystal or maltodex?

yer strangely it was the first beer i brought a case of lol

Cheers sav

I thought they used roast barley.

I'm a big fan of Carlton Black, but I make a kk clone that's smoother 'n' foozier 5.2% bottled and therefore better. CB is low hop fare, not that there's anything wrong with that, so I use a Coopers Lager can, 1kg DDME, 500g chocmalt, 500g dex, 125g mdex, ale yeast, and I ferment at 19°. Not to toot my own flugelhorn, but it's pretty fantastic stuff, and ⅓ the price of the original...hic

Last time I had Carton Black,in fact every one i tried tasted soapy. Maybe some sunlight soap flake might help

With your chock malt/roast early boil it in some water for 10mins.

Do a search for 'carlton black'. I posted a smack on recipe years ago.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Last time I had Carton Black,in fact every one i tried tasted soapy. Maybe some sunlight soap flake might help

I steep it for 30 minutes at 70°C. Never had any problems that way. I've read that boiling can release off-flavours from the husk. Thanks for the tip though,

Year Of The Ratbag said:
I steep it for 30 minutes at 70°C. Never had any problems that way. I've read that boiling can release off-flavours from the husk. Thanks for the tip though,
he meant after steeping to kill any potential bugs. Not to boil the grain.

citymorgue2 said:
Do a search for 'carlton black'. I posted a smack on recipe years ago.
If it's the one with camel's piss in the ingredients, I've seen it. Unfortunately, my LHBS doesn't stock Dromedary Urine Extract.

Ducatiboy stu said:

I am with you on that one Ducatiboy stu, pretty sure they use Sunlight soap to wash something at CUB, all their beers have the soapy taste.... :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back