Carbonator caps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

time01

Reaction score
I have just purchased a stainless steel carbonator cap and interested to hear other users techniques with it? Also do they fit pet bottles? Or only 2ltr bottles?

If the ones which fit gas or beer I have used for a few different things.
Obvious is counter pressure filling with some bev hose on the centre thingy.
Putting gelatine into a pressurised keg. Gelatine and hot water into pet bottle. Counter pressure beer on top. Mix. Counter pressure back into keg.
Dry hopping in pet bottle. Filter over the Bev hose ( bit of easy hooker braid). Whole hops into pet bottle. Counter pressure beer on top. Leave for a week. Counter pressure back into keg.

enoch said:
If the ones
Putting gelatine into a pressurised keg. Gelatine and hot water into pet bottle. Counter pressure beer on top. Mix. Counter pressure back into keg.
Dry hopping in pet bottle. Filter over the Bev hose ( bit of easy hooker braid). Whole hops into pet bottle. Counter pressure beer on top. Leave for a week. Counter pressure back into keg.
I'd never thought of either of those. Might try them out in the future.

Cheers grumpy. Have read through them, they all seem to be about carbing up from scratch. I'm planning to use mine for beer already carbed up from the keg. I assume it will be a similar process, just minus the shaking? I should only need to top up with gas?

I use mine to flush the beer lines on the beer fridge.

Fill bottle with hot water, connect quick disconnect, open tap and squeeze bottle to flush.

I use mine the same as Cervantes but I use a spare gas To pressurize the bottle before I hook it up to the beer line. (Same outcome but I don't have to squeeze)
It's also great to drain a nearly empty keg into plastic bottles so you can fill the keg with a fresh beer. I do this if there's a little bit left and I want to keg another beer at the weekend. I just fill a few 1.5litre bottles up.
I've heard reports of people not liking them because they get showered with beer, obviously they ain't using them properly Coz I've never had a problem.

Any thoughts on how long they would stay carbed for? Couple of months?

time01 said:
Any thoughts on how long they would stay carbed for? Couple of months?
Would say as long as bottles that have been carbed with sugar and you don't purge the oxygen with that method. 6mths I'd say get all ok, not much more.
Cheers

enoch said:
Im guessing counter pressure back to keg would go:

Pressurise contents of pet bottle.
Connect beer line to bottle/keg
Pull prv and pressure drop will draw liquid from pet bottle into keg?

enoch said:
All bow down before the Carb Cap Master - and at 486 posts you are only 14 away from being able to put that as your member title.

Go on... just put a few spurious posts here, no one will mind... :ph34r:

And almost my 10 year ahb anniversary. It's a cracking average post rate!
And yes to pist. Just crack the prv to cause flow.

enoch said:
And almost my 10 year ahb anniversary. It's a cracking average post rate!
And yes to pist. Just crack the prv to cause flow.
Well, I wouldn't want to ruin the average, but - for keg hopping... do you purge the bottle w/ CO2, or just fill on top of the hops?

Caveat. I've only done it twice but...

Both times I purged the bottle. If you pressurise the bottle then fill to the top with no head space it's prob ok but I found the flowers made that a bit difficult/messy.

Latest posts

Back