Carbonating A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've recently just got a keg king setup as well and left my beer (been around 3 weeks sofar) at 12psi and it doesn't really have a great deal of bubbles is this normal or is simply better to do one of these 32psi methods for 2 days then dop to serving pressure-

-can having beer say carbed to 15psi and then serving it at 10psi have any bad effects ie. lots of head (which i'm suffering from atm

hi mate,

i think (and there's every possibility i'm wrong) that no bubbles and excessive froth is due to over carbing. you could try purging the keg, shaking and leaving for a while to displace some of the gas, purging again and repeating until gas levels are to your liking or at a stage where you could re-gas.

cheers
matt

thanks for the responses i was just wondering about how you put fans in and what power source they would hook up to i insulated the font yesturday but have read of the fans working great and giving a flooeded font look

thanks for all the advice.

I went with the 300kpa for 24 hrs .

I had a mate over who'd tried home brew before from his brother in law.
He was anti home brew, said it all tasted like cats piss.

So without any pre testing I poured us both the first 2 schooners off that batch ..( pure blonde style wort ).

Anyway 4 schooners later ( before the footy ) he was getting the details of where/price to buy a kegerator fridge.
He said he would be more than happy to pay for my beer in a pub.

so ...thanks again.

Hi, I have 2 methods dependign on how desperate I am to drink the stuff.

If I am in no hurry, and don't mind the beer cloudy at first I set the reg to 280, or 40 psi and leave it for 36 hours...basically the keg is warm going in the fridge and the first 12 hours are chilling and also a bit of carbonation, the next 24 hours is when the main carbonation happens, so after a total of 36 hours you have a nice drop. Vent your keg to dispensing pressure and off you go. Will be cloudy at first bust after another few days will clear out nicely.

The second way, and this is handy when I keg one afteronn and need to drink the next day as it takes around 12 hours, but 24 is better to get your keg colder.
Put your warm keg in the fridge and cool for about 6-8 hours, or overninght is better. Connect your CO2 and set pressure at 280 again, then lie the keg on it's side with the gas "in" on the bottom so the CO2 is jetting directly into the beer and not into the headspace in the keg. Roll your keg and you will hear the gas pumping in, keep rolling gently for about 50 seconds. Turn off the main on your CO2, but leave the pressure reg on and then keep rolling your keg...you will see the pressure needle start to drop. The aim is to get it about 180 pressure, so if it stops below that mark then open up your CO2 again and repeat the rolling process for another 10 seconds or so. This should get you to 180 within a minute or 2. Your beer is now ready to drink. I have had warm keg to drinking in as little as 12 hours this way...again your beer will be cludy but only extra keg time and carbonation over time will clear. Taste is no different.

Bubba.

Back