Cap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys, ive managed to get my hands on 5kilos of flaked maize to play with, and im keen to knock up a CAP which will lager untill the weather gets warm again..

All the recipes ive found have 6 row in them, so seeing as we cant get that, whats a good sub? Should I just go for something like Global Pilsner malt? Or something with a bit more beef like Golden Promise??

Still unsure what yeast I should use also? Any ideas??

Hopwise im probably just going to do a single bittering addition of Nugget, allthough its tempting to go with Amarillo or Columbus, but itll probably be a bit too much for the style lol

Hey guys, ive managed to get my hands on 5kilos of flaked maize to play with, and im keen to knock up a CAP which will lager untill the weather gets warm again..

All the recipes ive found have 6 row in them, so seeing as we cant get that, whats a good sub? Should I just go for something like Global Pilsner malt? Or something with a bit more beef like Golden Promise??

Still unsure what yeast I should use also? Any ideas??

Hopwise im probably just going to do a single bittering addition of Nugget, allthough its tempting to go with Amarillo or Columbus, but itll probably be a bit too much for the style lol

Try this link

Link

If you can't get a liquid like Wyeast 2007 then get some S189

Rook

I would suggest Galaxy Pilsener malt but I don't think you can get it in NZ. The six row is why the yanks had to use large amounts of adjuncts in the first place but most modern malts should be diastatic enough to eat a kilo of maize. Personally I'd go for just a good 2 row Pilsener. For yeast try Wyeast Californian Lager 2112 (not the steam beer one). Apparently it's a close relation to Fosters house yeasts which maybe came from there as did the Fosters Brothers :lol: . I have a pack in the fridge and about to try it in my house Classic Australian Lager when I can get a fermenter free. There's also a Wyeast 2035 American Lager, haven't tried it but the blurb says it's more for Dortmund types.

Also I'd go a 90 min mash. The Nugget sounds fine. I actually did a beer, trying for a Mexican, and did a single hop of 20g Chinook 90 minutes and instead of Mex it turned out definitely North of the Rio Grande. Worth looking at.

The corn in the US was used to offset the protien in 6 row. Dont be concerned with what grain you use. go for either bland pale malt to help the cornynes stand up or use a euro style pils thats sweet in the finish if you want to try and hdie soem fo the corn character. Ive used Weyermann Pilsner and JW Export Pilsner both with good results. The one with weyermann i used kibbled maize (slightly finer than Flaked) and used the Cal Lager strain. It was good, just slightly fruity steam beerish. This was fermented @ 14deg (within tolerance of this yeast.)

The Current CAP i have on tap and is going to the VIC case swap has 20% Maize (used polenta, finer than kibbled again) and the remainder is JW Pils. This was fermented with wyeast Munich Lager Strain @ 10deg. Very clean CAP IMO. This is currently my glory beer. Ive got to put antoher down soon and lager it up for VICBREW. Oh and its around 3 SRm.. about the colour of straw! :icon_drool2:

I had boiled my polenta for around 10 mins then added water to raise it to sacch temps. Mashed for 90 mins to ensure complete conversion of the corn and mashed out @ 77deg. lauter as normal.

See Recipe below for inspiration. Personally i'd add in a protien rest for the kibbled as the starches are not as readily accessible as polenta and may not convert as fast, thus your efficiency may suffer. You may also be able to pull your mash out and bake some corn bread too as the kibbled may help it set like glue! :)

CAP II
Classic American Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 28/04/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 81.8 %
1.00 kg Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 18.2 %
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.5 IBU
20.00 gm Pearle [6.00%] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 5.9 IBU
20.00 gm B Saaz - Motueka [7.10%] (5 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
Bitterness: 34.7 IBU
Est Color: 3.3 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.00 L of water at 69.8 C 64.0 C 90 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 93.8 C 75.0 C 10 min

I would suggest Galaxy Pilsener malt but I don't think you can get it in NZ. The six row is why the yanks had to use large amounts of adjuncts in the first place but most modern malts should be diastatic enough to eat a kilo of maize. Personally I'd go for just a good 2 row Pilsener. For yeast try Wyeast Californian Lager 2112 (not the steam beer one). Apparently it's a close relation to Fosters house yeasts which maybe came from there as did the Fosters Brothers :lol: . I have a pack in the fridge and about to try it in my house Classic Australian Lager when I can get a fermenter free. There's also a Wyeast 2035 American Lager, haven't tried it but the blurb says it's more for Dortmund types.

Also I'd go a 90 min mash. The Nugget sounds fine. I actually did a beer, trying for a Mexican, and did a single hop of 20g Chinook 90 minutes and instead of Mex it turned out definitely North of the Rio Grande. Worth looking at.

Bribie,

Can you elaborate on this please, I'm led to believe there is only one Wyeast 2112 and it is the one used in the steam beers.

Rook

Cheers for the comments guys, looks like I will need to add some flavour hops :icon_cheers: Yummo, ill probably throw some centennial and a dash of amarillo in there, subtle additions of course lol

For the malt, ive got some Weyermann Pilsner so hopefully this should be ok, im going to use 25% flaked maize, the stuff from cryer malts, and contemplating 5% Munich as well??? Thoughts on this??

I have some Wyeast Bohemian lager which should work nicely, and 4star I wish you mentioned the Munich Lager two weeks ago, as I recently used some but its all sitting under a doppelbock, which not only would affect the colour, id say the yeast would have taken a bit of a hammering.. A bit gutted cos I could have saved some, but oh well...

Cheers for the comments guys, looks like I will need to add some flavour hops :icon_cheers: Yummo, ill probably throw some centennial and a dash of amarillo in there, subtle additions of course lol

For the malt, ive got some Weyermann Pilsner so hopefully this should be ok, im going to use 25% flaked maize, the stuff from cryer malts, and contemplating 5% Munich as well??? Thoughts on this??

I have some Wyeast Bohemian lager which should work nicely, and 4star I wish you mentioned the Munich Lager two weeks ago, as I recently used some but its all sitting under a doppelbock, which not only would affect the colour, id say the yeast would have taken a bit of a hammering.. A bit gutted cos I could have saved some, but oh well...

Rev,

Look at this link and down the bottom it will tell you the recommended Wyeast Yeast's

Munich lager doesn't even get a mention

Link

Rook

Rev,
Look at this link and down the bottom it will tell you the recommended Wyeast Yeast's
Munich lager doesn't even get a mention
Link
Rook

Yep, I was going to use Boho lager but as i had used the Munich on a Dunkel and then on a Helles, the slurry was there i just pitched away. CBF building a starter with the Bohemian Lager Strain wh i had the Munich at correct pitching rates on hand. The CAP is supposed to be a malty beer anyway unless its pre-prohibition when then it would be higher in alc and higher hopping rates. You will get a taster on saturday Rook as im brining the keg to the swap. I think the balance is quite alright with the Munich Lager Strain.

The only thing the Bohemian has over the Munich it is it finishes abit dryer with less malty characters and a slighty higher attenuation capability.

Either one you use, It will still be a decent CAP.

Bribie,

Can you elaborate on this please, I'm led to believe there is only one Wyeast 2112 and it is the one used in the steam beers.

Rook

Never tried or made a steam beer and always assumed they used an ale yeast, but you are obviously correct here. Reason I bought it is because a certain gent on the forum who is in the industry suggested it as a good sub for Fosters house yeast which is temperature 'flexible' which was an advantage in the earlier parts of the 20th century, which this Californian yeast is as well. Info from Craftbrewer bears this out and hoping for a characteristic speedy Aus lager out of it: linky

Never tried or made a steam beer and always assumed they used an ale yeast, but you are obviously correct here. Reason I bought it is because a certain gent on the forum who is in the industry suggested it as a good sub for Fosters house yeast which is temperature 'flexible' which was an advantage in the earlier parts of the 20th century, which this Californian yeast is as well. Info from Craftbrewer bears this out and hoping for a characteristic speedy Aus lager out of it: linky

Bribie CUB's strain (supposedly) originates from Carlsberg. I reckon Wy. 2042 (Danish Lager) might be a closer match. Oh and FWIW I've used it at higher temps in a Biere De Garde. Fermented at 16 degrees the beer was still "lager like".

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Bribie CUB's strain (supposedly) originates from Carlsberg. I reckon Wy. 2042 (Danish Lager) might be a closer match. Oh and FWIW I've used it at higher temps in a Biere De Garde. Fermented at 16 degrees the beer was still "lager like".

Hope this helps.

Warren -

Good tip, Warren, In my pilsener and POR SMASH I've so far used a dried Weiheinstephan which has turned out as "Actung Ich bin nicht ein Australische Bier. Ve ask zer questions around here", and a Mauribrew lager, which has resulted in a smoothly drinkable but characterless beer. I've got a packet of the Californian in the fridge and I'll certainly try the Danish after that. The quest goes on :icon_cheers:

Arghh that article... To quote Sinatra.

"Regrets, I've had a few" :blink:

Warren -

Warren's article is a brilliant read, and is duly in my bookmarks. It sounds like a cleaner version of my "Kiwi Gold" that I make in rotation with my Aussie SMASH. Have been using US-05 but did the last one with a lager yeast and it's turned out even better.

Back