Pale Coffee Stout (Stone Master of Disguise inspired) - Feedback plea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takai

Reaction score
After having the Master of Disguise on tap in San Diego last year, I have been meaning to see if i can brew something like it. Plus this typical Melbourne weather (Mid-summer one week, going deep Autumn the next), seems conducive for this type of confused beer

Basically its a Pale Ale with the mouth feel of a coffee stout. This is Stone's blurb on it: http://www.stochasticity.com/beers/master-of-disguise

Given the difficulty of getting Liberty and Nugget i have decided to go for Columbus and Hallertau instead, which im led to believe are close matches. This is what i have sofar in BrewersFriend.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.096
Final Gravity: 1.024
ABV (standard): 9.4%
IBU (tinseth): 52.14
SRM (morey): 8.72

FERMENTABLES:
6.25 kg - American - Pale 2-Row (70.2%)
1.5 kg - Rolled Oats (16.9%)
0.9 kg - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (10.1%)
0.25 kg - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (2.8%)

HOPS:
25 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 37.73
15 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 9.73
25 g - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.68OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
200 g - Coffee, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
200 g - Cacao Nibs, Time: 5 days, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
150 g - Coffee, Time: 5 days, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

Still unsure on the yeast. Don't really want to use S04, given poor past experiences with it. Could always use my house strain of US05. But not sure whether the US05 type will detract from the Stout type of flavour.
Anyone have thoughts on that brew?

i would cold press your coffee addition and add later at secondary. rather than boil it at all

barls said:
i would cold press your coffee addition and add later at secondary. rather than boil it at all
The reason i was going for the boil (whirlpool actually) on the coffee came from the press release over on CraftBrew:http://www.craftbeer.com/news/beer-release/stochasticity-project-master-disguise-released-november-17

Sheets of cocoa from ChocoVivo were added in the whirlpool along with Ryan Bros Coffee, with an additional small amount of coffee added post-fermentation to replicate the typical deep, roasty, chocolaty character found in stouts.

Also debating whether i put some lactose in, to give it that milky twang.

Yeah, although for their collabs they are known to use other yeasts.

Currently im thinking of doing a 10L batch, but i dont have everything on hand for this Monday (public holiday) so i will have to wait on it until next weekend when i can get to a brew store.

Hence im considering the Mangrove Jacks British Ale yeast rather than the S04.

Back