Can You Get Liquid Or Dried Pilsner Extract...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oatlands Brewer

Reaction score
Looking to do a couple of recipes with Pilsner malt, namely a czech Pilsner and a Lager of some type.

Can i get Dried or liquid malt extract....im not an all-grainer yet but really want to do these beers somewhere near correct.

Looking to do a couple of recipes with Pilsner malt, namely a czech Pilsner and a Lager of some type.

Can i get Dried or liquid malt extract....im not an all-grainer yet but really want to do these beers somewhere near correct.

Not that ive seen, although you could steep up to 10% carapils to try and get some of that pils-like grainy sweetness.

I bloody looked over there site too.... :rolleyes:

How big is that sucker.

I needed a Pils LME when I (attempted to) made a Tripel recently. My LHBS recommended I use a Morgans Master Malt Beer Enhancer(extra pale) LME. That should get you the light Pils colour, if that is what you are after.

Barto

They're 4kgs, instead of 1.5, so you can see why they're a little bit more expensive

Yeah, good point.

A bit off topic, but:
Works out to be $18.75 for 1.5kgs.

Do you need to do anything to store any unused liquid malt?
Beersmith is giving me an OG of 1.052 for a 23 litre batch with 4kg extract, so just use it all.

Still turns out to be a rather expensive beer though.
$50 extract
$11 yeast (lager twin pack)
$5 hops

To me it's seems a little expensive to make regularly, but worth trying out.

I've often thought about using one of those Weyermann Extracts for a brew but the expense plus shipping to Tasmania doesn't really make it a viable option and LDME makes a pretty good beer anyway. Freshness is such a vital component of LME brewing which makes the LDME a safer bet also.
When looking through the recipes in Jamil and Palmer's 'Brewing Classic Styles' I feel disadvantaged at the limitations of the liquid malts available here. The recipes use LME's such as Pilsener, Munich, Rauch and English Pale Ale. All the better reason to go AG, extracts are limiting enough without being restricted to the same old LDME in every brew.
One day.

Latest posts

Back